Doan Frustrated

from Vince Marotta of KTAR ,

The 16-year veteran joined Burns and Gambo Thursday on Arizona Sports 620 and talked about his desire to stay with the Coyotes and the uncertainty that goes along with his upcoming decision.

“They have been unbelievably open and honest and great with me and I can’t say enough about how good they’ve been,” Doan said. “And yet their hands are so tied with the whole stumbling block that keeps popping up with the team, and that is frustrating.”...

“I really think we’re right on the cusp of being a team that could become an organization in the NHL that everyone wants to play for because we’ve got a good GM, we’ve got a good coach, we’ve won in the playoffs, we’ve got an unbelievable city to live in, and yet we always have these stumbling blocks that keep getting put in our way,” Doan said.

“You’d love for that to be taken care of and people stop trying to stop us, but hey, maybe we’ll find a way to keep going.”

Filed in: NHL Teams, d, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: shane+doan

Comments

so he’s frustrated… maybe thats why he kept elbowing everyone in the head! IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW!

Posted by pstumba on 06/22/12 at 04:15 PM ET

awould's avatar

article: blah blah blah shane doan blah blah blah helps orphans blah blah scores goal blah blah good teammate blah blah blah suspended blah injures himself leaping over howard blah blah plays hard blah blah

knee jerk response: shane doan is the dirtiest player in the world!

No offense dude, but give it a rest. When I saw the headline and one comment, even before I clicked I knew it would be some jab about him being dirty that has nothing to do w/ the article. It’s become as common as comments about the Bettman/Crosby love affair (and I’ve been guilty too of promoting that thread).

I’d agree that he’s reckless, but he’s not dirty. And by most accounts he’s a great teammate.

This is just an article about how hard it is playing under these conditions. And he’s absolutely right, Phoenix has overcome unbelievable obstacles to reach the WCF this past season. Boston was put on tilt by a grumpy goalie and a bit of bad press. The Pens got overly frustrated by getting banged up too much in a playoff game. The Coyotes have nearly zero outside support, a ton of outside pressure and a weak payroll. It’s a good story if you look past the politics of it. If they end up staying in PHX and get some stability, their success in the past few years will be looked at as a great sports story. If not, it’ll just be a sad asterisk.

Posted by awould on 06/22/12 at 04:51 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Doan is a douchebag.

Also, when you are a star athlete making millions of dollars, no one wants to hear how “difficult” it is to play under ________ circumstances. Is it trying and frustrating? Absolutey, but keep that crap to yourself. There are a hell of a lot people in his local fan base that are facing real problems.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 06/22/12 at 05:05 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Me thinks the problem in Phoenix will never be solved. Why? BECAUSE THEY’RE IN GLENDALE! New owners, old owners, feckin’ Donald Trump…. doesn’t matter. The bonehead idea of having them in Glendale and not Phoenix proper will (eventually) sink the team.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 06/22/12 at 05:14 PM ET

awould's avatar

I guess, but when you’re a guest on a radio show and the conversation is specifically about the challenges he’s faced under the unusual conditions in Phoenix, I’m not inclined to judge him too harshly. I also don’t believe every rich guy in America needs to add a caveat about how good they have it relative to the rest of society when speaking of their problems.

Everyone has problems. Under your rationale, me sitting around Kukla’s Korner on my high-speed internet with a glass of clean drinking water while whining about how I wish KH would shape the Wings into a Cup winner again is totally obscene when there is genocide happening in Africa, a dictator running amok over Syria and whatever else you wanna point to. But I don’t believe that makes me a douchebag.

Point is, it’s silly to conflate sports with the real world. Keeping it in context, Doan’s comments are interesting to me and he’s a typical hockey player. A dbag hockey player may be Jagr, who is a prima-donna even in the world of hockey. Or Lebron in the NBA. His “Decision” show was ridiculous even by NBA standards. By normal real world standards, he should’ve been publicly flogged and run out of town.

Posted by awould on 06/22/12 at 05:15 PM ET

awould's avatar

You’re absolutely right. This was the original mistake and it was a big one. If that arena is at the corner of Scottsdale Road and McDowell between old town Scottsdale and ASU, maybe none of this saga ever happens to begin with.

Posted by awould on 06/22/12 at 05:17 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I don’t particularly care for his phrasing about “people trying to stop us”  seriously?  It’s that simple, you’re the good guys and bad guys are trying to stop you?

Couldn’t be a horribly mismanaged franchise built on a house of sand for the sake of expansion who has been funded by the local city to keep them there but tax payers (hockey fans or not) have other priorities they’d like their money allocated to?

Something about that statement just rubbed me wrong

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 06/22/12 at 05:23 PM ET

awould's avatar

In reality, there are people who are in fact trying to stop them. Both sides probably believe they are the good guys. I don’t have a problem with him speaking from his point of view. I can see why it would rub someone the wrong way though, but it’s not like it was a prepared press release.

Posted by awould on 06/22/12 at 05:27 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

I just hope Holland can sign him *ducks and runs*

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 06/22/12 at 05:54 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Doan Frustrated

He must have failed Algebra 1 again.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 06/22/12 at 06:12 PM ET