Do You Compare Roenick To Cherry?

from James Mirtle of the Globe and Mail,

So while some of Roenick’s running mates during his playing career such as Brendan Shanahan, Steve Yzerman and Joe Nieuwendyk have gigs with the league or as general managers, JR’s far more comfortable being this generation’s loudmouth TV personality.

“It’s crazy busy,” Roenick said. “I’m on the road probably five nights out of seven during the week.

“I enjoy it. I get recognized a lot more now than I did as a player because I’m in front of the audience every night, I don’t have equipment on, people see what I look like. My speaking engagements have gone up. When you have an opinion and you’re able to get it out like I do on a nightly basis, more people are going to tune in and you’re going to get attention. I like that aspect of it.”

Already tabbed as potentially becoming the American answer to Don Cherry, Roenick’s profile should soar to new heights given NBC’s 10-year deal with the league includes new pre- and postgame shows, 100 regular-season games and far more playoff coverage.

He simply grins when he hears the Cherry comparison being made.

Filed in: NHL Media, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: jeremy+roenick

Comments

Actually I don’t. I was surprisingly impressed with JR as an analyst during the playoffs last year. He did a good job being a pretty serious commentator, unlike Cherry who is a clown for the most part.

Posted by jkrdevil on 08/19/11 at 12:04 AM ET

Puck's avatar

I can’t hit the mute button fast enough for either of these jackasses but give the bigger idiot nod to Cherry as a mute button won’t quash his stupid jackets.

Posted by Puck from San Francisco, CA on 08/19/11 at 12:42 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by jkrdevil on 08/18/11 at 10:04 PM ET

How much did you have to drink when you came to that decision?  j/k

I respect some of Cherry’s opinions, because at least they’re his.  JR just spouts total nonsense, and on the rare occasions he isn’t, he is regurgitating something Cherry has already said, like “the russians suck,” which was already nonsensical enough.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 08/19/11 at 01:01 AM ET

jayskate's avatar

Both of these people thrive on attention, but Cherry is a staple of Canadian hockey culture, been a part of Saturday nights for a long time. Roenic is trying to join the same niche, Cherry i can handle, but I’m not so sure I can deal with that much J.R.

Posted by jayskate from Newfoundland, Canada on 08/19/11 at 01:17 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

As much as Don Cherry can be a myopic, xenophobic (or whatever other-phobic you want to add in) monster at times, he backs his comments up, and he rarely needs to offer an, “Well this is what I was trying to say to be postive!” apology.

The Marleau fiasco was classic Roenick. Shock value yielded a, “But I’m the biggest Sharks fan” yielded, “I hope he proves me wrong” yielded, “Look how right I was, see how important I am because I affected his performance?”

Cherry sticks to his guns, even if they’re muskets, and when he will admit to being proved wrong, he just admits as much and moves on.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/19/11 at 02:55 AM ET

BigE's avatar

Just an attention whore who’s way more interested in himself than the game of hockey.

I prefer actual analysis without the self-promotion.

Cherry loves the game, even with his all his shortcomings.

Posted by BigE on 08/19/11 at 07:34 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Like him or not, Don Cherry says what he means, and, means what he says.

I will always be a fan of Grapes. No apologies.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!