Do You Agree With Dater’s “Dorkish” Comments?

from Adrian Dater of All Things Avs,

First off, I never knew there were so many people from Pittsburgh who lived in Denver. Wow, for all the love they showed their Penguins tonight, you’d think they would never have left their beloved city in the first place. But there they where in their Stub-Hubbed glory tonight, sitting in the lower bowls of the Pepsi Center, cheering nonstop for the Penguins in their romp over the suddenly awful Avs again.

(One thing I’ll never ever do again: wear jerseys of my Boston teams in a foreign arena. Not because I would be afraid of being told off, but because I’ve finally come to realize after nights like tonight: that you look foolish. You look dorkish jumping up and down for a team whose city you don’t live in anymore, high-fiving all your phony new friends in similar jerseys around you. I think I finally agree with those who say: If you love your city and team so much, why do so many hundreds of you live in Denver or wherever? I think it’s kind of a big, sad overcompensating plea for attention, and I used to fall into that group too; you want so much for people to think “Hey, I’m from PITTSBURGH (or Detroit, or Boston or New York or wherever), that I’m going to act like every goal we score just won us the Stanley Cup and I’m going to lord it over you poor saplings from Denver – even though we live in your city now.” I finally realize now how annoying Red Sox fans are.)

continue on for Pens/Avs game talk…

Filed in: NHL Teams, Colorado Avalanche, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Posted by Primis on 03/04/12 at 03:24 PM ET

I remember the crime of 1996 well - and I was as red as a Wings fan can come in those days.  (Although I had great respect for Claude Lemieux after watching him beat our local Flames in 1986.)

It’s just funny because, now that I have adopted the Nucks during a decade of coast-living, the only teams I hate are Chicago and Boston.  Can you guess why?  Okay, so maybe you guys don’t have teams that melt you down into a complete shit-loving joke (don’t even say it Garth), but it still makes sense to me to hate actual rivals.  You guys seem to hate every team you’ve ever played in the playoffs (including CBJ which is just weird).

Topic-wise, I wanted to add, like what Bezukov said, that one thing I love is that in Alberta people wear Oilers and Flames jerseys to the other one’s games no matter who is playing.  Like, “yeah I came to catch a game, but no I’m not a fvcking Flames fan” - just stayin true.
I think George summed all this up when he said that it all falls under the general rule of “don’t be a #$@%.”

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 03/05/12 at 01:41 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

I don’t say this to be a jerk Tux, but I would point out that the target has only been on the Canucks back for a few seasons.  That said, I don’t have any particular problem with the Canucks outside of what you’ll normally get between two top contenders.  I hope you’ll weigh what I’m saying in that light.

As I’m sure Canucks fans are all too well aware of now, it gets old getting everyone’s best shot all the time.  You tend to get a little reactionary when twenty nine other teams and fan bases want nothing but the worst for you and your team over the course of a decade or more.  What’s even more annoying is when (not saying you’re doing this here) people tell Wings fans that we are hyper-sensitive.  If thats not having it both ways, I don’t know what is lol.

Anyway, I know these are first world problem in hockey terms, but for what its worth, that’s my quick diagnosis of Red Wing fan paranoia.

Exactly, thanks for the example my friend.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 03/05/12 at 02:17 AM ET

So Dater picks a moronic fight in column number 1 and follows it up with an even more moronic fight in column number 2.

Posted by larry from pitt on 03/05/12 at 03:25 AM ET

UMFan's avatar

Speaking as one of those transplants living in Denver, it gives me great pleasure just knowing that every time I cheer for my non-local teams, wear non-local team gear or drive around town sporting a Michigan license plate frame around my Colorado tags that I upset the world of Dater. Oh the joy….

Posted by UMFan from Denver, Colorado on 03/05/12 at 03:25 AM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Posted by bezukov from South of Detroit on 03/04/12 at 11:17 PM ET

Well, when you put it that way…..I gotta admit that the chip on my shoulder gets a little deeper every time some schmuck (9 times out of 10 not a hockey fan) trashes my team.  In fact, me, and the team itself, were taken aback by the sudden hate, because being someone to beat was such a new thing and we weren’t expecting that to precipitate such hate.
So fair enough, you’ve had people cheering against you on principle for 20 years.  Hadn’t thought of it that way.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 03/05/12 at 05:02 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from home of the 1925 Stanley Cup Champs on 03/05/12 at 02:02 AM ET

Honestly (and seriously)... we as Wings fans don’t HAVE any real rivals anymore.  I don’t mean that even from a competitive nature necessarily.  However, whoever is our biggest threat any given year changes form year to year.  And after a while….. yeah…. you start to develop enough hate to go around for all of them.

You hate the Blosers, who have spent 2 decades whining and complaining about how unfair it is that they’re inferior to not just the Wings, but now the Hawks and Preds too.  You hate the Preds, because their ownership won’t spend to make them a proper hockey team, and they’ve employed garbage players like Hartnell to run the goalie every single game.  You hate the Jackets even, because they’re such a pathetic joke of a franchise that every time they play you, that’s their Cup Finals Game 7 for them.

You hate the Ducks because officiating in the WCF that year was abysmal, and the Ducks didn’t deserve to go on,  You hate the Avs because they’re the Avs.  You hate the Sharks because they’re never really a Cup contender but like to try to talk like one every single year.

After a multi-decade run, you’ve kinda’ bumped into most teams as obstacles somewhere along the way and probably got screwed by them in some way.

Posted by Primis on 03/05/12 at 10:21 AM ET