Do You Agree With Dater’s “Dorkish” Comments?

from Adrian Dater of All Things Avs,

First off, I never knew there were so many people from Pittsburgh who lived in Denver. Wow, for all the love they showed their Penguins tonight, you’d think they would never have left their beloved city in the first place. But there they where in their Stub-Hubbed glory tonight, sitting in the lower bowls of the Pepsi Center, cheering nonstop for the Penguins in their romp over the suddenly awful Avs again.

(One thing I’ll never ever do again: wear jerseys of my Boston teams in a foreign arena. Not because I would be afraid of being told off, but because I’ve finally come to realize after nights like tonight: that you look foolish. You look dorkish jumping up and down for a team whose city you don’t live in anymore, high-fiving all your phony new friends in similar jerseys around you. I think I finally agree with those who say: If you love your city and team so much, why do so many hundreds of you live in Denver or wherever? I think it’s kind of a big, sad overcompensating plea for attention, and I used to fall into that group too; you want so much for people to think “Hey, I’m from PITTSBURGH (or Detroit, or Boston or New York or wherever), that I’m going to act like every goal we score just won us the Stanley Cup and I’m going to lord it over you poor saplings from Denver – even though we live in your city now.” I finally realize now how annoying Red Sox fans are.)

continue on for Pens/Avs game talk…

Filed in: NHL Teams, Colorado Avalanche, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Colorado:Where complaining about fans cheering is more worthy than recapping last night’s embarrassing loss.

Seriously his paragraph where you can feel the tears streaming down his face is longer than anything he had to say about his so-called job.

Posted by JBM on 03/04/12 at 01:35 PM ET

Tony's avatar

I just mentioned it on Twitter, but his comments strike me as bizarre.

Using his logic, teams with big road followings (Yankees, Cowboys, Wings, Leafs, Habs, Pens/Steelers) should’ve never left their hometown (assuming they’re even from that area)?

Is there some manifesto that I missed that dictates fans for away teams can’t root, but rather sit there and shut up?

I’ve always found the best atmosphere is a crowd in which there are lots of away fans… Makes for a really fun night….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 03/04/12 at 01:42 PM ET

Tony's avatar

And lastly, let’s not forget that he wouldn’t have written that column if the Avs didn’t get smoked by the Penguins….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 03/04/12 at 01:43 PM ET

Primis's avatar

If it weren’t for fans of other teams in Denver, there wouldn’t be a single hockey-knowledgable fan there.

Posted by Primis on 03/04/12 at 01:45 PM ET

SolidTG7's avatar

I’m not sure there is a worse hockey writer out there.

Posted by SolidTG7 on 03/04/12 at 01:58 PM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

So, since I live in CT now (smack dab in the middle of NY and Boston fans)...does that mean I have to root for the Red Sox AND Yankees?  The Rangers AND Bruins?  The Jets AND Patriots.

I’ll need to start buying jerseys from 3-4 teams per sport, now.  There goes the bank account…

Damn my wife for thinking about her career and our family first, instead of my sports allegiances.

I can see why you Wing fans think he’s a hack.  Because he is.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 03/04/12 at 01:59 PM ET

The false assumption in this article is that most of these fans are originally “from” the city they are rooting for. As with the proliferation of punk kids wearing Yankee hats in every town in America, these folks are usually bandwagon jumpers. Most having never set foot in their so called beloved city. Whether it is faux cheeseheads in San Diego, Steelers fakes in Kansas City or Leaf fans in Vancouver, most of these people were born and raised in the home city where they are attending games. This didn’t use to be the case, because home team fans would assure there was a proper welcome for anyone dumb enough to venture into a foreign rink with the road team jersey. All that needs to happen is a re-emergence of the beer baptismal, the parking lot scuffle and a few hallway encounters and these cockroaches will scurry back into the closet where they belong.

Posted by timbits on 03/04/12 at 02:00 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by timbits on 03/04/12 at 11:00 AM ET

That was dumber than even what Dater wrote.  Congrats on finding a way to make Dater look better.

Posted by Primis on 03/04/12 at 02:19 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Posted by timbits on 03/04/12 at 11:00 AM ET

As a Red Wing fan who lives outside of the Detroit Metro area, and who goes to games in other arenas sporting the winged wheel, I am VERY glad that I have never been the victim of the “beer baptismal” or been attacked physically for supporting the Red Wings.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 03/04/12 at 02:23 PM ET

Primis's avatar

By the way, the revelation that Dater is from Boston explain so very much.  It really does explain most of it…

Posted by Primis on 03/04/12 at 02:23 PM ET

I felt he undersold the issue.

Posted by timbits on 03/04/12 at 02:30 PM ET

starsfan26's avatar

If you want to go to another building to watch “your” team play and wear your jersey, cool, but don’t be obnoxious about it.  It is annoying to the home fans and you DO look like a pathetic jerk in desperate need of attention.  At the Joe you guys probably don’t have to deal with this, but as someone who goes to Stars games and Texans games, most of his observations are spot on.

Posted by starsfan26 on 03/04/12 at 02:32 PM ET

Joe Z.'s avatar

paul, you’ve made me read Dater again… this guy simply hurts my common sense, my brain, my feelings, my eyes and everything there is likeable about other humans, he simply destroys it. can we agree on stopping to give this douchebag a stage?

Posted by Joe Z. from Austria on 03/04/12 at 02:46 PM ET

Hasn’t it been discussed ad infinitum (in reference to the Pittsburgh Steelers’ incredible road following) that the death of the steel industry in Pittsburgh in the 1970s and ‘80s, coupled with the recession, led to an exodus (the city’s population dropped by half) of the city’s residents who had to leave if they wanted to survive?  Google “Pittsburgh diaspora” or check out this article for more:

These people didn’t want to leave; they had no choice.  Many have family still in Pittsburgh and rooting for the sports teams helps maintain the connection (sports are serious business in Pittsburgh—maybe a little too serious).  These people also raise their kids, who may never have set foot in Pittsburgh, to do the same.  Why Dater seems clueless to this, I have no idea.

And, no, it doesn’t hurt that the Penguins are good.

Plus, I always thought it was a bit lame (or at least, really bizarre) when people moved to a new town and then acted like they’re the biggest fans of a team they just became cognizant of five minutes before.  To me, that’s phony.  I lived in DC for a while, and seemingly everybody I met was from somewhere else.  And yet they all claimed to bleed Redskins colors.  I was always incredulous of that fact—don’t you people have teams where you come from?  How you change something that ingrained that quickly?  But I realized that is a distinctive mentality that a lot of people don’t share.  People from Pittsburgh do, but I learned that it’s not universal.

If you want to adopt your new city’s team to help you assimilate, to feel like you belong, hey, that’s cool.  But don’t disrespect the loyalty of those who remember where they came from .  There’s far too little of it today.

Posted by Lex Talionis on 03/04/12 at 02:53 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I felt he undersold the issue.

Posted by timbits on 03/04/12 at 11:30 AM ET

No, you FAIL to understand that when cities like Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, etc, are all losing population, that means those people are moving somewhere else.

Of all the times to state that there are no true “migrated fans”, this current time with the current state of the economy may be one of the single most asinine times to try and make that claim.  It shows a complete lack of understanding of how fandom works, and how fans of teams other than the home team happen.

Posted by starsfan26 on 03/04/12 at 11:32 AM ET

Yes but what do you consider “obnoxious”?  Cheering when the Away team scores a goal?  That’s what many “home” fans consider “obnoxious” at this point.  And sorry… that’s not obnoxious.  That’s not rubbing anything in.  It’s not the Road fan’s fault your team let them score, or if your home team sucks.  Nor is a “Let’s Go ____” chant.

We have plenty of obnoxious Road fans at the Joe.  During that brief playoff series against CBS I was at Game 2 and there was a row of stupid Jacket fans who were, for some reason, trying to act all awesome while their team was getting its aft handed to it on the ice.  They were drunk, they were repeatedly turning around and calling attention to themselves, and of course several then were eventually escorted out.  Big difference between cheering loudly and just making a spectacle of yourself.

One of the single best times I ever had at a hockey game was back in the old IHL watching a K-Wings/Lumberjacks game when I found myself sitting next to a loud, boisterous Jacks road fan.  He held very little back and I was sighing because I’d already experienced what complete a** holes Komets and Peoria Rivermen fans were on the road.  As it turned out it was a tight game and he and my family exchanged a few mild verbal jabs, and as it turned out the home team roared back to a win.  At the end the guy got up, gave us all high fives, congratulated the better team winning, sat and chatted with us for a while, then left.  Just because someone is loudly cheering their team does not mean they’re disrespecting you or yours.

Really, grow a thicker skin if you can’t stand the sight or sound of someone else cheering for a different team.  There of course is sometimes uncalled for behavior by Road fans, but by and large if they’re gloating over being up 6-1 on your Home team, that’s no different than the Home team razzing the Road goalie after he gives up 3 or 4 goals.

Cope.

Posted by Primis on 03/04/12 at 02:55 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Don’t be fooled. He may have been writing about Pittsburgh fans this time, but he’s been scarred, seared, soiled and split wide open by Wing fans.  Hail to the Pens fans who brought him to tears, but it’s the Detroit transplants who live in his head.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 03/04/12 at 02:56 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

As just an average citizen, it always warms my heart when hockey royalty shows up to tell the rest of us how we should act and for whom we should root.

I have a confession to make; I am not a pureblood.

Oh I know how awful it is to not be born into the upper crust of those lucky folks who have known naught but living in one city and being raised “proper” by parents with concern for their progeny’s trueblood status.

How it must drive you elitists nuts that there are those of us self-made fans who weren’t born in hockey areas, don’t come from hockey fan-families, and don’t feel a particular affinity towards the team closest to them (especially when that team happens to be an entire state and half-a-culture away).

It must drive you even further nuts when we pretenders to your status know as much or more about hockey than you do.

Forget the concept of those people who actually DO meet those criteria and have simply been relocated to a different place by circumstance. If you love the Penguins or the Red Wings or the Rangers or whomever… if you TRULY loved them, then no circumstance of the rest of your adult life should ever have any say over where you live. You CANNOT be committed to a team if you don’t live there.  Your job, family, or other duties be damned. Dater says that it’s not allowed.

In short, pureblood or not, you worry about how you root for hockey and let me worry about how I do.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/04/12 at 03:06 PM ET

Dater is such a terrible terrible writer. Between this and the remarks he made about Quincey after Av’s traded him, he just looks like a big baby. I am convinced he just writes about this kind of nonsense just to troll people into reading him. I have a friend who is a huge Av’s fan, and aboslutely hates Dater. I think he’s just a writer for the casual fan, with no real insight deeper than complaining about stuff like this. If he wants more Av’s fans at Av’s games, how about he actually becomes a journalist and calls for the firing of the Av’s coach and GM. Maybe then they can get somewhere in the realm of deserving to have more home team fans.

Posted by Andrew on 03/04/12 at 03:28 PM ET

starsfan26's avatar

“During that brief playoff series against CBS I was at Game 2 and there was a row of stupid Jacket fans who were, for some reason, trying to act all awesome while their team was getting its aft handed to it on the ice.  They were drunk, they were repeatedly turning around and calling attention to themselves, and of course several then were eventually escorted out.  Big difference between cheering loudly and just making a spectacle of yourself”

This is exactly what I would consider “obnoxious”.  I thought just using the word “obnoxious” was obvious enough, but I will try to be more clear next time to save you from ranting.

Posted by starsfan26 on 03/04/12 at 03:47 PM ET

Just to be fair to the C-Bus fans, there were about 30 or 40 of them at the Anchor Bar before Game 1of the playoffs that year, including one guy in a full Civil War era outfit, and they were all pretty cool, really just happy to be there and enjoying their time in Detroit. I agree with Tony from VA, out of town fans can make for a fun atmosphere, despite the occasional obnoxious drunk.

Posted by mc keeper on 03/04/12 at 04:15 PM ET

Jeebus, this guy is STILL whining about the road fans???

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 03/04/12 at 04:16 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

I’m not sure there is a worse hockey writer out there.

Sadly, there is.  He is Bruce Garrioch.

Anyway, I chuckled last week when CPO laid into this dick.  Party cause it was well-written, and partly because it is hilarious the way that you Wings nuts maintain the hatred long after a rivalry has ceased to have any relevance.  But he is right.  What a complete dickbag this joker is.  What an infantile, sour-grapes bitch.  Sure hope he is able to bond with Downie.

@Timbits….......______________ (insert hateful, poisonous, and potentially prosecutable insult here).  I hope you get your head kicked in for throwing beer on someone.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 03/04/12 at 05:23 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

I’ve been to Red Wing games in a bunch of different NHL arenas, and yeah I usually wear some red and white, winged-wheel gear, and yes, occasionally some obnoxious ass will take it way too personally and try to get in my grill over it (interestingly Denver and San Jose fans seem to be the most easily butt-hurt by that kind of thing), but on the other hand, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve ended up having a beer with fans of other teams after the games.  Goes to show that guys like Dater are hopelessly out of touch with the majority of actual fans of the sport.

Dater is firmly in that stupid minority of people who actually get all pissy and throw a little bitch fit about the fact that you’re possibly from somewhere else and might actually give a shit about the visiting team.  Trust me JJ, while I did grow up in one of those families where Detroit Red Wing hockey was a big deal, I’ve learned first-hand in my travels that it’s true not all Wings have Michigan roots.  It’s also not true that all of us who show up to support our teams on the road reside in whatever city that game happens to be in.  Yet simple-minded Dater and the idiot minority of fans who want to make an issue of all of this persist in the myth that we all fit their tired narrative of uppity, ill-behaved Detroiters who haven’t quite assimilated or as yet learned our place in their wonderful city.

You hear things like “why don’t you just go back to your little bombed out shit-hole in Detroit—you don’t deserve to live here in ________(fill in the blank, Denver, San Jose, etc.)”.  As if I’d actually wanna live in a city where the people are such easily-offended, over-sensituve, arrogant jerkwads who get all red assed just because you cheered for a different team.  Just like those obnoxious, thin-skinned fans you occasionally encounter, Dater’s just a sensitive bitch I guess.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 03/04/12 at 05:24 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Jeebus, this guy is STILL whining about the road fans???

Posted by SYF from fashionista dougie’s drunken iPhone on 03/04/12 at 01:16 PM ET

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again I’m sure….jealousy is a bitch.

Dater’s not just jealous about ROAD fans….he’s jealous that another team has any fans at ALL.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 03/04/12 at 05:24 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Yeah, I realized after I wrote it that I should have done a better job of clarifying that the attitude Dater (and some other “purebloods” at places like SLGT) is the problem, not with coming from a hockey-loving family or area.

I completely agree with you though.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/04/12 at 05:28 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I was born and raised in southeastern central Ohio.  When I was fourteen (circa 1997), I frequently stayed over with a friend whose family were Wings fans.  You guys can probably figure out the rest.  I’m not in the habit of apologizing for the team I root for and I’m not going to start.  Folks like Dater and some of the people who have posted here can think of me as a halfbreed (as JJ put it) or as an attention whore.  My answer to that charge will remain the same: fuch off.

As for the issue of road fan behavior…  I wear my Detroit jersey everytime I go to Nationwide Arena (I now live in CBUS) no matter who is playing; because I have enough respect for the CBJ’s fans not to pretend I’m a Jackets fan seventy six games out of the year, only to put a Wings jersey on when Detroit and Columbus play.  What would Dater think if I was that kind of fan I wonder?

I would also say that I don’t see anything wrong with visiting fans clapping for their team, or raising a “Lets go ___!”  Cheer.  That’s where it should end though.  I was at a Jackets/Hawks game a few weeks ago and the Hawks fans were being real assholes by taking their cheers into the bathrooms and concession lines.  They also could have toned it down a bit after the score got to 4-1, especially in light of the fact that the Hawks had one win in their last ten games at the time.  My feeling is that its ok to cheer for the road team, but just know that there comes a point in which its time to let up on the home fans.  You wouldn’t like it if somebody carried on like that in your building.

Finally, I’m not going to BS anyone by saying that its been hard being a fan of Detroit over the past fourteen years.  But having lived with CBJ fans for the past ten years I’ll say this:  Before you go looking down your nose at transplants or fans like me, just remember that there is nothing easier in sports than being a fan of the home team.  Living with you has been just as annoying for me as living with me has been for you (especially since I was a fan before the CBJ came along).

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 03/04/12 at 05:31 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

My point was that Dater’s remarks seemed like little more than mental laziness and pretty much in-line with the garden variety drunken ass-clown fan who, unable to think of anything clever or orginal to say, inevitably resorts to childish remarks such as “oh yeah? well, why don’t you go back where you came from?”—as if we ALL came from there.

It’s the kind of thinking for those who can’t manage reality in adult-sized portions and still have to have mommy cut it up into little bite-sized chunks so their tiny brains can digest it.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 03/04/12 at 06:09 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I will readily admit that it irks me to some extent when fans of opposing teams whoop and holler like they’re in their own rink when their team scores at the Joe—and we get many fans of opposing teams at the Joe in no small part due to the fact that so many Michigan-born players play for opposing teams—but it is what it is, and…

You’re “from” where you’re “from,” or where you choose to be “from,” and I don’t see anything wrong with sticking to one’s allegiance regardless of where they live, and regardless of whether they were born and raised as fans of one team or consciously chose to follow another.

Your team is your team and you have every right to proudly support them.

Depending upon your point of view, there’s something to be said for a little etiquette from both sides when either you go into an opposing team’s rink wearing the visiting team’s jersey or you come to your rink and meet people cheering for the other team, but it generally falls under the, “Don’t be an *#$%@&” guideline, where engaging in excessive trash talk, mocking each other, calling each other names and doing one’s best to rub your team’s achievements in the faces of the people who wear an opposing team’s jersey—regardless of whether you’re the “home” or “visitor’s” fan—is frowned upon, as is spilling stuff on or tossing crumbs at the person.

Mostly, there’s something to be said for understanding that you’re going to disagree as to the preferred outcome of the game, and that you and your opposing team’s guest fan need to act like grownups toward each other.

There’s also something to be said for giving the particularly obnoxious dicks of either party a tap on the shoulder and saying, “Hey, don’t do that” or, “Hey, calm down a bit, dude/dudette” if their behavior gets out of hand or is particularly boorish…

But for goodness’ sake, if you buy a ticket, you’re allowed to root for whoever the hell you want to root for, and you’re entitled to respectful treatment by the opposing team’s fans from wherever you start your night, whether that be a local restaurant or bar or the parking lot, on into the rink and when you leave as well.

Mostly, “your” team is “your” team, regardless of where you live or which sports team’s fan base you were born living among, and there’s nothing “dorkish” or shameful about proudly supporting the team whose family of fans you’ve chosen to embrace as your own.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 03/04/12 at 06:22 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from home of the 1925 Stanley Cup Champs on 03/04/12 at 02:23 PM ET

That’s what some people don’t understand though.  It’s not ever going to “end”.

I’m reminded of the 1999-2000 MSU Men’s basketball team that won it all, when they closed out their regular season against Michigan and absolutely, completely destroyed the Wolverines at the Breslin by more than 40 pts.  I remember numerous times during the 4th quarter somoene would bring up about whether or not MSU was pouring it on and the announcing team repeatedly noted something along the lines of “You really can’t make the kids stop as a coach… they keep seeing the maize and blue shirts and the Block ‘M’ and they just want to pour it on even more”... because yes, MSU people really do hate UM *that* much.

That’s where this is now.  Truth be told, the Avs really don’t care about the Wings anymore (aside for Dater, and apparently Avs management who stupidly refused to trade directly with DET) because no players remain and the Avs struggle against so many other opponents now as well, they’re just trying to survive.  However, if you’re a Wings fan old enough to remember that long 301 days between crime and justice… nothing is ever going to lessen that.  You just see those awful sweaters with that awful turnip logo, and you want friggin’ blood.  There is no playoff drought that will ever be long enough for them.  And there’s no Low the Wings could ever reach that will erase it either.

The only single thing that will ever make it actually die will be if and when the franchise relocates.  It might finally die then.

Maybe.

Posted by Primis on 03/04/12 at 06:24 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Dater’s comments are the ramblings of a whiny ass poor loser, who just watched his team get dismantled by another.  No more effort went into writing that article than if he had just sat there in the press box and pouted for the rest of the night.  To sit here and debate the validity of his comments just lends credence to gibberish written by a talentless hack.

Posted by Hootinani on 03/04/12 at 06:28 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 03/04/12 at 03:09 PM ET

I’m not sure if you clarified in response to me or not WestWing, but just in case, I want you to know that my comments weren’t directed to you.  My comments find most of their impetus from my experience of being around Jackets fans.

I grew up in an area that had no hockey culture when I was younger, and I really love traveling to Detroit to be part of the great hockey culture you guys have.  Despite my roots, I’ve never had a Wings fan talk down to me on KK or out in the real world (as easy as it would be).  I’m proud to be part of the Wings fan base, even if I’m only on a small island by myself, and I’m grateful that folks in Michigan are always ready to welcome a fellow fan from anywhere.

I totally get you’re point about Dater.  I get that crap from CBJ fans every now and then.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 03/04/12 at 06:33 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Bingo.  It’s not really my nature to be an in-your-face kind of person, but that’s not to say I won’t fist pump, yell and high five the people around me to celebrate a goal or whatever.  What I find tiresome though are the people who, the second they see the colors you’re wearing, you kinda know what’s coming next, and it’s usually nothing very pleasant.

Being cursed at, having stuff thrown at you, hearing shrill, childish remarks about the economic woes of the place you’re from—that’s just garbage.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 03/04/12 at 06:44 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Dater responds to the Pittsburgh fans.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/04/12 at 07:26 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Somebody should make him take a baseline emotion test before giving him the keyboard.

This guy doesn’t need a blog, he needs a diary.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/04/12 at 07:49 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/04/12 at 04:26 PM ET

Personally Adrian I wouldn’t look down at Pitt fans for poor attendance when your own fanbase bears the same guilt.

The most frustrating thing about this guy is that he insists on having it both ways.
Some objectivity would suit you better Dater.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 03/04/12 at 08:01 PM ET

Baroque's avatar

I wish that EVERYONE, media and fans alike, would realize that no one has ever diead and named any of them All-Powerful Sports God and Determiner of Proper Fan Behaviour.

Fans are fans in whatever way makes sense to them, and that’s it. Not according to what other fans think is appropriate, not according to the delicate sensibilities of media personalities, but in a way that fits their interests and life.

Posted by timbits on 03/04/12 at 11:00 AM ET

And beat them into a coma if they have the audacity to show their face in the “wrong colors” like opposing gangs, right? Nice attitude. Also why I have never gone to see the teams I cheer for in any away venue and I doubt I ever will. It isn’t worth the risk of getting beaten or sexually assaulted by drunken home fans. Safer to stay at home and preferably watch on television.

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 03/04/12 at 09:14 PM ET

Meh, I’ll be wearing my Datsyuk jersey and cheering when the Wings score Tuesday in Philly. Piss off, Dater.

Posted by RyanVM on 03/04/12 at 10:56 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 03/04/12 at 06:14 PM ET

This is the exact reason why I never go alone to an away game.  I go and cheer, but I am not a jerk about it, and I do not drink, as I prefer to keep all my wits about me just in case.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 03/04/12 at 11:14 PM ET

sidestepping the entire issuing by turning into some strawman flamefest about bandwagoners, well played Adrian.

I guess now he’ll have to put his unsigned Quincey jersey back in the closet when the rag employing him turfs him causing him to relocate, right?

Posted by JBM on 03/04/12 at 11:43 PM ET

Triple Deke Tyler's avatar

Dater:

“I’m happy to have heard from a lot of Pittsburghers today, even though many of the comments were not fit for a family publication. It’s OK, I can take it. Water off a duck’s back anyway.”

And now he’s a Ducks fan. This guy.

Posted by Triple Deke Tyler from Lansing on 03/05/12 at 12:28 AM ET