Do You Have An Issue With The Yakupov Goal?

from TSN,

TSN analyst and three-time Stanley Cup-winning defenceman Aaron Wardalso had no issues with Yakupov's reaction. "There should be no one that has a problem with this," Ward said on the NHL on TSN on Thursday night. "It was genuine, in the moment, it was a big goal and the second of his career."

But the visiting Kings didn't take kindly to Yakupov's post-goal antics. "I won't even say anything about that, it wasn't something that was looked on in a positive light in our dressing room, but so be it," forward Jarret Stoll said after the game. "He made a great play on the goal and did his celebration."

more and if you yet to see the goal, you can watch it here...

Filed in: NHL Teams, Edmonton Oilers, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: nail+yakupov

Comments

If it wasn’t looked on in a positive light by the Kings then they should’ve done something about it.

He tied the game with 4.7 seconds left, he should be excited.  Loved the celebration.

Posted by Garth on 01/25/13 at 12:07 PM ET

Paul's avatar

I am fine with the celebration but if it was a meaningless goal, I would have an issue with it.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/25/13 at 12:09 PM ET

Yeah, it would be a different story if it was meaningless, but it wasn’t meaningless…

Posted by Garth on 01/25/13 at 12:10 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

No problem at all. And frankly (being Brazilian might have something to do with this), I don’t get why hockey players are so “cold” (hehe) when they score. It was a huge goal, it’d be a phony celebration if he jsut high-fived his teammates and that’s it.

(but I’m not a fan of volleyball players celebrating every point (there’s at least 75 on a game, dammit))

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 01/25/13 at 12:15 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

I thought it was awesome and completely called for given the nature of the goal.  If the Kings were so angry about it they should have scored in overtime.

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 01/25/13 at 12:21 PM ET

Matt Fry's avatar

Not at all.  Isn’t it every kids dream to score a game tying or game winning goal in the last seconds of a game?  Give me a break.  He wasn’t throwing it in their face, he was just really excited.  If I wanted no emotion in hockey, I’d watch robots playing the game.  I just love seeing passion for the game pop out.  Stoll maybe needs to remember that…

But yeah, if they were up 6-0 or something and he did that, it might be pushing it.  smile

Posted by Matt Fry from Winnipeg on 01/25/13 at 12:41 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Am I in bizarro-world? When did North American players become robots and Europeans become the players with flare and energy?

I loved it!

P.S. I find the Canadian ‘jersey pull’ (in the World JR’s) to be FAR more disrespectful and egomaniacal than anything Yakupov did.

Posted by Hank1974 on 01/25/13 at 01:07 PM ET

edillac's avatar

how come he is not in prison already?
jk

so now passion is bad and feelings are illegal? for Stanley cup winners,the Kings sure are pansies

Posted by edillac from isolation on 01/25/13 at 02:35 PM ET

Great goal and the celebration was fun too. Kings ought to expend their energy on stopping goals like this and not complaining about the ensuing celebration.

Posted by pcoffey on 01/25/13 at 02:44 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Also had no problem with it for a GTG in the dying seconds of the game.  I agree if it was a meaningless goal it’d be uncalled for, but it wasn’t meaningless.  Actually enjoyed it

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/25/13 at 02:48 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’d be ok if he did this as the tenth goal in an Oilers blowout.

Mostly because that would be hilarious and it would create a big dumb controversy.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/25/13 at 02:55 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Brunner had his first goal the other night and he acted like it was no big deal…because it wasn’t; the game was still over and the Wings would still lose. However, if Brunner’s first goal was in this situation, I’d hope he’d act the same way.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 01/25/13 at 03:43 PM ET

harken23's avatar

With the disallowed goal about a minute earlier and the fans’s reaction to that, I especially liked the Theo Fleury-esque celebration. The entire building was going ape, and Yako just went along with it. He had every right to be fired up. I imagine the Kings were frustrated, too, still looking for their first win.

FWIW, that wasn’t Nail’s first goal, tho.

Posted by harken23 on 01/25/13 at 06:39 PM ET