Do You Feel Confused Or Stupid?

I'd say more frustrated.

from Scott Burnside of ESPN,

We spoke with one team executive who said the problem with the dramatic difference in how playoff games are called from game to game and period to period -- especially as it relates to the standards set in the regular season -- is that it makes casual fans feel at best confused and at worst stupid.

They watch a game in the regular season and see a player make contact with an opposing player, impede his progress, obstruct him, take his hand off his stick and grab him, and the referee's arm goes up and a penalty is called. They get that. They come to expect it, and that understanding gives them a connection to the game.

A week later it's the playoffs and there's no guarantee that the calls get made.

And if it's overtime or a Game 7, well, the odds that you'll see calls made decrease further.

"This lack of objectivity makes [fans] feel they're not in the know," the team executive said.

Does this lack of clarity have a negative impact on the game's growth?

If it does, it's something team owners and players should have a keen interest in improving given that they share the revenue pie.

Filed in: NHL Teams, NHL Talk, NHL Officiating, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Primis's avatar

“Stabby”.

The word I would use to best express how it makes me feel is “stabby”.

Posted by Primis on 06/11/13 at 03:34 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

I would say that it makes everyone involved: players, coaches, GMs and fans (devoted and casual alike) irate to see teams get hosed night after night because the NHL can’t get its collective shit together regarding its own rules.

And it doesn’t help that whenever they stop calling a rule as it was written, they add another rule into the books to make up for the error, instead of just enforcing the original rule from then on, which probably adds to the confusion for new fans and lowers the accessability of the sport.

Posted by Hootinani on 06/11/13 at 03:35 PM ET

Alan's avatar

I don’t feel confused or stupid. I know boarding when I see it.

However, I’m also not a casual fan.

I feel frustrated, though. Stabby is a great way to describe it, too. I feel like throwing rulebooks at the refs until they somehow absorb the information contained within and begin calling the games the right.way.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 06/11/13 at 03:38 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Nope just typical BS Reffing in NHL playoffs

Posted by Evilpens on 06/11/13 at 03:40 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

I’m fine with the officiating either way. Provided the officials working a game establish a standard of how they are going to call the game and apply the standard consistently and uniformly..

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 06/11/13 at 03:43 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Why would I feel stupid if I know the rules and see how inconsistent the refs are at enforcing them?  Why would I feel stupid for you not doing your job?  Would I feel stupid if the writer stopped using periods?  No.  Guess who I’d think is stupid…...

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 06/11/13 at 03:44 PM ET

Mixed emotions, maybe?  Like “frustrated incredulity?”

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 06/11/13 at 03:45 PM ET

TKShreve's avatar

Lost all faith in the reffing and suspension policy when Webber bashed Z’s head into the boards. Sad fu*king day right there. Throw in Malkin’s instigator that was overlooked.

Joke.

Posted by TKShreve from East Uptown on 06/11/13 at 04:10 PM ET

scotts0's avatar

Joke.

Posted by TKShreve from East Uptown on 06/11/13 at 04:10 PM ET

Hey, that’s playoff hockey.

wink

Or, at least that’s what they tell us, right?

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 06/11/13 at 05:23 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 06/11/13 at 05:23 PM ET

It was a GOOD NON-CALL

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 06/11/13 at 05:27 PM ET

It was a GOOD NON-CALL

That’s the worst part, the commentators.

I think the confusing thing for the slightly-more-than-casual-fan is the fact that there will be a blatant call and then stupid Pierre or Olschyique will praise the fact that it’s not being called.

It’s one thing to be able to watch a play and say “How did he miss that?!?!?” but it’s a completely different thing to think that you’ve seen something go uncalled and then to have the idiot narrating the game tell you that it’s a good thing that wasn’t called.

Posted by Garth on 06/11/13 at 05:37 PM ET

Alan's avatar

The broadcast personalities aren’t held to any standards of objectivity. I would expect that sort of nonsense from a team broadcast from Comcast Sports or Fox Sports, but NBC is a national broadcaster. I expect better of them.

And every year, I end up disappointed. Not confused, just disappointed.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 06/11/13 at 05:44 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

“Stabby”.

The word I would use to best express how it makes me feel is “stabby”.

Posted by Primis on 06/11/13 at 03:34 PM ET

Stab, stab, stabbity. stab, stab, stab. Stabby!”

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 06/11/13 at 05:55 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Not sure how the NHLs stoopidity and confusion should make me feel stoopid or confused.
My standards don’t change from April to May.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 06/11/13 at 06:24 PM ET

the NHL can’t get its collective shit together regarding its own rules.

Guys, if the NHL wanted good officiating they’d have good officiating.  Trying to pass this off as incompetence is a mistake.

The ambiguity of officiating isn’t a bug, it’s a feature.  The league wants their games called this way.  They handpick the officials that ref these games.  It’s not like the league draws names out of a hat and goes ‘Oh, bleep… O’Halloran’s name got picked AGAIN?!?!’

Posted by HockeyinHD on 06/11/13 at 07:00 PM ET

Alan's avatar

The ambiguity of officiating isn’t a bug, it’s a feature

The last time I phoned Microsoft to report a bug, this is what they told me.

Unlike the NHL, Microsoft eventually fixed the issue.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 06/11/13 at 07:51 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

for those of you challenging the “makes the fan feel stupid” part, maybe you should actually pay attention to the words on the page.  “casual fan.”

nobody here is a casual fan.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 06/12/13 at 01:14 PM ET

nobody here is a casual fan.

Yet Paul posed the question “Do You Feel Confused Or Stupid?”

I was thinking of saying something along the lines of “maybe you should actually pay attention to the words on the page”, but I wouldn’t want to be condescending.

Posted by Garth on 06/12/13 at 01:41 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I don’t see where Paul added any emphasis the way you did, Garth.

the answer to Paul’s question (the title) would be “no, because I’m not a casual fan.”

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 06/12/13 at 02:49 PM ET