Do You Consider The Philadelphia Flyers An Elite Team?

from  Anthony SanFilippo of the Philadelphia Flyers website,

Following the loss to St. Louis, I posted a blog about how the Flyers have been playing as we approach the playoffs and in the process, I used the term “elite” to describe them as a team.

I stand by the use of that adjective even if it caused some consternation on the Interwebs.

I guess the reasoning is there is no true definition for “elite.” And who’s to say what “elite” really is in the NHL from season to season? Is it the top four teams in the league? Is it anyone who has a strong chance of reaching the Stanley Cup Finals? Is it the highest scoring team? Is it the team with the best defense?

There are a lot of variables. And to be honest, I didn’t really think about what the parameters were for my usage of the word. The reason being, having watched as much hockey as I have this season, I was just under the impression that the Flyers are one of the three best teams in the East, have a chance to reach the Finals with the way they are playing (I don’t just say that lightly either, even if they are a longer shot than some other teams) and have shown it by playing strong, if not exceptional hockey, against the other top teams in the league.

But, I was put to task by some fans who felt that I was using the word in far too cavalier a manner. After all, how could I consider a team who hasn’t clinched a playoff spot, who is in third place in their division, and, until recently had a negative goal differential for the season, an elite squad?

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Philadelphia Flyers, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

awould's avatar

I say no. But I’m curious what TPSH thinks….

Posted by awould on 04/03/14 at 07:02 PM ET

Me thinks they need to break the 100 pt barrier in a season before they can even pretend to be elite.

Posted by neffernin on 04/03/14 at 08:06 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

I now do not consider the Flyers an elite team.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/03/14 at 09:15 PM ET

I considered the Flyers an elite team on 1/10 at 5:43pm, then at 3/14 at 4:47 in the morning they weren’t elite anymore, then they are again starting 3/26, so I can safely conclu… oh, wait, now they aren’t again.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 04/03/14 at 09:20 PM ET

awould's avatar

I’m coming around to it now. I think tomorrow I might think they are, unless they lose tonight.

Posted by awould on 04/03/14 at 09:34 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

They just rolled over for Columbus 2-0.

Posted by bigfrog on 04/03/14 at 09:43 PM ET

DrewBehr's avatar

The whole article reads like “C’mon guys, they’re really good, aren’t they? I swear… No really, I mean it. They’re a really good team.”

On a three game losing streak, still not guaranteed a playoff spot.

I’d love to watch them fall into the wild card race and crumble under the pressure.

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 04/04/14 at 12:19 AM ET

Its All Hockey's avatar

Last night’s game didn’t help your cause but I have to give you credit for coming back with comments after so much ruckus around one word - LOL - And no they are not elite… cool smile

Posted by Its All Hockey on 04/04/14 at 08:06 AM ET

alwaysaurie's avatar

It’s a fair question.

It probably wouldn’t be asked if I used the word to describe (insert the names of the 6 elite NHL teams and two others for some reason)Boston, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Chicago, Anaheim, San Jose, Los Angeles or Colorado,

yowsa…