Do You Care What Kind Of Hat Phaneuf Wears?

from Dave Feschuk of the Toronto Star,

... around his dressing room stall he stores a humbler collection — specifically a stack of sweat-soaked baseball caps for wear during on-camera media interviews. Occasionally he chooses a cap bearing the logo of his team. Most of the time he opts for one emblazoned with that of a longtime sponsor, Red Bull, the so-called energy drink.

The man who wears the C said in a recent interview that he’s had an endorsement deal with the brand for about eight years. The Leafs’ former CEO figures that’s about long enough.

“For the captain to be wearing that hat — I’m disappointed. You can quote me on that,” said Richard Peddie, who was the top executive at the company that owns the Maple Leafs until his 2012 retirement. “I would look for better from a captain. A captain sets the tone in so many ways, especially in hockey, especially on the Leafs.”

Peddie said Phaneuf should show respect “for the people who pay (him)” by wearing a Maple Leafs cap when he’s speaking for the team.

read on

Filed in: NHL Teams, Toronto Maple Leafs, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: dion+phaneuff

Comments

TreKronor's avatar

This is something I can see eye to eye on with the retired executive.  I have always liked that the Wings players usually wear either a Wings branded hat, or a Tigers hat.  I think it’s great support for the city as well when they are wearing the Tigers brand.

Posted by TreKronor on 01/17/14 at 11:15 AM ET

it is funny, I never cared what a player wore even don’t care much now, but there was one time I did care that I can remember.  Marian Hossa…. when he was a penguin, seemed to always have black on for the interviews but never pens gear… no logo or nothing.  I was always hoping the next interview he would have one on but it seemed like he never had one, maybe he did once or twice, but I always took it as a sign that he was not really into coming back as a penguin.  Turned out to be true.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 01/17/14 at 11:23 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 01/17/14 at 10:23 AM ET

Good point.  I feel like Jagr is the same way.

Posted by TreKronor on 01/17/14 at 11:37 AM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

Peddie said Phaneuf should show respect “for the people who pay (him)”

Red Bull also pays him…I think this is kind of silly, but I see where he’s coming from. However, I think it’d be better for Peddie to bring it up to Phaneuf directly rather than in the media

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 01/17/14 at 12:06 PM ET

mmuskrat's avatar

^my thoughts exactly.  These types of things never belong in the media.

Posted by mmuskrat on 01/17/14 at 12:46 PM ET

The Leafs pay Phaneuf to wear their colours during NHL games, not when he’s off the ice.  Period.

Also, why does it matter what the former CEO of MLSE thinks?  To quote Clint Eastwood, “a guy like him should shut his face.”

Posted by Garth on 01/17/14 at 01:36 PM ET

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 01/17/14 at 11:06 AM ET

I agree with this.  Peddie being petty.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 01/17/14 at 02:36 PM ET