Diving Talk Heats Up In The LA/SJ Series

from Lisa Dillman of the LA Times,

Kings defenseman Drew Doughty scoffed at the notion, put forth by Sharks forward TJ Galiardi, that goalie Jonathan Quick engages in “a little embellishment.”

Doughty stood up for his goalie Quick, a spirited defense, and then said the San Jose player is a noted diver. He took issue with the comments and said they went beyond the usual playoff back-and-forth.

“It’s not even playoff talk,” Doughty told The Times after Thursday’s morning skate before Game 5. “It’s just funny to even hear that from a guy who is the biggest diver on their team. Like it’s just ridiculous he can even say that, to be honest.

“But I don’t want to get involved in that stuff. I don’t think you have to watch many (Sharks’ games). You can just watch three of his shifts and you’ll see how many times he dives. There’s been times where even the refs are telling him, just get up, because he’s diving so often.”

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Los Angeles Kings, San Jose Sharks, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

mrfluffy's avatar

Silly Doughty. Don’t argue with the Chum when it comes to diving. They are, after all, experts at it.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 05/23/13 at 02:34 PM ET

Dakkster's avatar

The Kings has one of the biggest and dirtiest divers in the league and he’s their goddamn captain. Pretty sure that voids any and all arguments the Kings have against diving accusations.

Posted by Dakkster from Southern Sweden on 05/23/13 at 02:50 PM ET

I don’t see how anyone can be surprised or offended by that comment. Quick looks at the refs after every goal against. It is his automatic response. I doubt he even realizes it at this point.
He flopped over in I believe game two right after there had been play in front of the net. Quick of course had no idea the cameras did a zoom replay and no one came even close to touching him.

Just watching hockey not choosing sides. I do find it interesting that the player who makes the comment is then called a diver. I think that would have been the case no matter who said it. Hey, I can acknowledge Teemu has made a science out of it.

Posted by jpsf on 05/23/13 at 02:52 PM ET

Yes, Brown is a notorious diver…and a punk-ass. The Sharks as a team however are probably the worst collection of divers that I’ve personally witnessed.

I do find this amusing though: “It’s not even playoff talk,” I don’t want to get involved in that stuff....

“It’s just funny to even hear that from a guy who is the biggest diver on their team. Like it’s just ridiculous he can even say that, to be honest. You can just watch three of his shifts and you’ll see how many times he dives. There’s been times where even the refs are telling him, just get up, because he’s diving so often.”

But seriously though Drew, don’t let anyone stop you from NOT getting involved in that stuff.

Posted by godblender on 05/23/13 at 03:06 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Brown is bad, but it doesn’t discredit the opinion of Doughty about the Sharks. For a lot of years now, the Sharks have had a lot of guys that seem to go down easy. I guess how can you blame them… they’ve had such a good PP for so many years, if the refs and league aren’t going to do anything to stop them from diving, why not get as many PPs as possible?

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 05/23/13 at 03:10 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 05/23/13 at 05:46 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

That’s pretty hilarious coming from the Sharks.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 05/23/13 at 05:52 PM ET

Don’t know much about Gaglliardi, but, knowing nothing about the guy,  I’d bet money he’s less of a diver than Drew’s Captain Dustin Brown, if there was a way to quantify diving.

Posted by larry on 05/23/13 at 07:57 PM ET