Discussing Bob Cole

from Sean Fitz-Gerald of the National Post,

On some nights, it seems to slice into the very fabric of the country. Canadians, watching the same broadcast, hear two very different voices. Some hear a man lost, wandering two steps behind the play, in a game that has passed him by. Others evangelize the voice of a legend.

And now, in the age of Twitter, it is possible to watch the two sides fight in real time.

They fight over Bob Cole.

A long-time lead announcer for Hockey Night in Canada, Cole made his playoff debut in Montreal on Thursday, calling Game 1 of the Eastern Conference quarter-final between the Canadiens and the Ottawa Senators. Garry Galley was his colour analyst.

continued

Filed in: NHL Media, Hockey Broadcasting, CBC HNIC, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: bob+cole

Comments

Da lil Guy's avatar

Cole is a legend with a special way of calling games - but at this point, the criticisms are fair. He is (at least)  a step behind the play, and confuses players on a regular basis.

It doesn’t help him that where he once provided the voice of Maple Leafs games on a weekly basis, he now works far less, and is calling the games of teams he is likely much less familiar with (e.g. the Sens and the Habs).

Its particularly irksome for Sens fans that the voice of the Ottawa Senators, Dean Brown, is assigned to call the Chicago/Minnesota series.

Posted by Da lil Guy from Guelph, Ontario on 05/03/13 at 12:44 PM ET

My favourite thing about Cole is when he calls a play completely wrong, then they show multiple slo-mo replays showing he was completely wrong, and he continues to call it completely wrong.

Posted by Garth on 05/03/13 at 01:15 PM ET

Ajax19's avatar

I love hearing Bob Cole’s voice.  I don’t really care if he gets it wrong or right, I just love hearing him call a game.  I grew up with it.  I find it comforting.

Simiarly, I always love watching games called by Dave Strader, because he was the Wings’ play-by-play guy when I first started watching hockey.

Posted by Ajax19 on 05/03/13 at 01:20 PM ET

Cole calling the Habs/Leafs game.

“Player in the red jersey and blue helmet.”

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 05/03/13 at 01:32 PM ET

Posted by SYF from the Flood on 05/03/13 at 01:32 PM ET

That’s hilarious.  Thanks for posting it.

Posted by Garth on 05/03/13 at 01:52 PM ET

Last night, heading into the second period, he said, “If the second period is anything like the first period, we’re gonna have… a hockey series!”

Posted by dzuunmod on 05/03/13 at 02:13 PM ET

That’s hilarious.  Thanks for posting it.

Posted by Garth on 05/03/13 at 01:52 PM ET

His play-by-play of the fight near the end of the vid is epic.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 05/03/13 at 02:19 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Am I a bit dense here or is that link…a parody?

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 05/03/13 at 02:28 PM ET

@mrfluffy, in answer to your questions…yes grin.

Posted by dwgs on 05/03/13 at 03:17 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

My time watching HNIC goes back to the early 70’s. I loved listening to Danny Gallivan, Dan Kelly and some of the others . Bob at one time was the best, but for several years it has been clear that he has slipped a bit. However I will take Mr. Cole at less than 100 % over nearly ALL other current HNIC announcers.

I remember listening to Erine Harwell in his final seasons. I knew his game had slipped, but it didn’t matter to me. The stories he could relate and his voice made up for anything he ay have missed.

I feel the same way about Bob Cole. The man is 80 years old for Pete sake! He deserves a bit of respect.

If you don’t like the sound of the play by play man, turn on the radio/satellite radio/ Internet stream, or simply mute the sound. That’s what I do to Jim Hughson, Pierre McGuire, Eddie olczyk, and many others who annoy me.

Posted by Down River Dan on 05/03/13 at 05:47 PM ET

He was actually pretty good in the first period last night but I noticed a big difference in the second.  Even my ten year old complimented his work in the first and hes way more critical than I am.

Posted by dwgs on 05/03/13 at 06:04 PM ET