DirecTV And GameCenter Pricing

via Sean Gentille of The Sporting News,

DirecTV will offer its Center Ice package for $14.99 a month, which represents a prorated 40 percent discount from last season (via SB Nation's Steve Lepore), and NHL.com customer service representatives are saying the GameCenter service will cost a flat $50 at the start of the season (via Pension Plan Puppets).

DirecTV's website said that the package will be available on Jan. 19, which is when the 2013 NHL schedule begins.

As for GameCenter, a $50 price point would work out to $12.50 a month. At the start of the 2011-12 season, they charged eight monthly payments of $19.95.

Filed in: NHL Media, Hockey Broadcasting, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Not bad, but would have been a nice bone to throw to the fans to have GameCenter be free. That said, requiring some form of registration probably allows them to better plan for the number of streams each game would receive, thus ensuring good quality streaming rates for all viewers.

Posted by penguinsfan on 01/14/13 at 02:01 PM ET

Paul's avatar

If you follow KK on Twitter, you would have known about DirecTV last night.

Won’t name the KK member, but he can show himself if he wishes.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/14/13 at 02:01 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Yep PF, probably the best they could do, pluse NHL partners with InDemand for CI, so they had to charge something.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/14/13 at 02:03 PM ET

Navarath's avatar

i have to wonder if we called to complain to DirecTV, we could get it free?
I know I got a free comp when they had some sort of dispute with Versus or was it Fox Sports a few years ago. I don’t recall the specifics.

Posted by Navarath on 01/14/13 at 02:17 PM ET

awould's avatar

I’m not impressed, they could have gone further and given their fans a steeper discount. Especially past subscribers.

I won’t be renewing this season and doubt I will next. Part of that, a small part, is due to plain old time constraints. Mostly though, I just don’t want to give them any of my money.

Posted by awould on 01/14/13 at 02:18 PM ET

dougie's avatar

If you follow KK on A2Y, you would have had this news yesterday morning, because I talked to Jasmine at DirecTV.

FYI. I just called DirecTV, and talked to Jasmine about the Center Ice package. As soon as she purred “My name is Jasmine, how can I help you today?”, I immediately began thinking of several ways that she might be of service, none of them involving hockey.

What is it about a woman named Jasmine? Jasmine, a real name, not a stripper name. It just dances in the imagination. I was putty in her highly trained, very capable hands. She highly recommended that I maintain my subscription, and who am I to question Jasmine?

Oh, it costs $60.

Jasmine recommends it.

Posted by dougie on 01/13/13 at 10:04 AM ET

Posted by dougie on 01/14/13 at 02:26 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Sorry, I missed that dougie.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/14/13 at 02:57 PM ET

48 games is 58,536585365853658536585365853659 per cent of a full season (...more or less). So unless the discount is prorated to 41,4634146341463414634146341464 per cent (...more or less) Center Ice is more expensive, per game, than last year.

I just thought everyone would really like to know that.

Posted by Mr. Fnytelhatt on 01/14/13 at 03:25 PM ET

Paul's avatar

via the NY Post,

For Cablevision subscribers, the package will be $49.99 for the entire season (The regular season cost is usually $180). The first two weeks of the season (January 19-31) will be offered free of charge, as is customary with the sports packages at the start of the season. For those with DirecTV, the price is four installments of $14.99 (a total of $59.96 as compared to the $172). The packages include the sports channels with the games on them, as well as the NHL Network. The discounts are around 40 percent off of normal pricing for the package.

Because of contracts with the companies, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said there was no realistic that the packages could be offered free of charge, but the low price should sit well with most NHL fans.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/14/13 at 04:12 PM ET

Hey kid, here’s a couple bucks.  -ruffles hair-

Posted by HockeyinHD on 01/14/13 at 04:18 PM ET

Jennemy of the Skate's avatar

Not good enough. We’re not renewing Center Ice because they didn’t do enough to bring us back. Screw ‘em, we’ll find feeds and watch online.

Posted by Jennemy of the Skate from the bar car on the stress train on 01/14/13 at 05:09 PM ET

Screw ‘em, we’ll find feeds and watch online.

No doubt.  The new sports feeds site is back up after getting shut down by ICE a while back.

It’s still a little virus-y, but not too bad as long as you keep your blockers up and be careful with your cursor.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 01/14/13 at 06:23 PM ET