Different Sounds And The TV View From The Bubble

from Emily Sadler of Sportsnet,

New camera angles, giant screens, fluorescent lighting around the rink framing the main event – hockey’s got a new look this summer.

Fans at home have no doubt noticed it sounds a little different, too.

With the COVID-19 pandemic eliminating the possibility of proceeding with fans in attendance, the NHL decided to bring in some help in the form of synthetic audio in an effort to create a more normal atmosphere.

If it feels like the players are living in a real-life video game, you’re not far off. All that audio, aside from the organic stuff – skates on ice, pucks on sticks, chirps on opponents – is supplied by EA Sports’ NHL division, makers of NHL ’20 and the upcoming NHL ’21.

“What you’re hearing inside the real-life games right now are the exact same sounds that we use in our product,” said David Pritchett, presentation designer at EA Sports’ NHL franchise headquarters in Vancouver.

continued

Are the NBC cameras too far away?

Filed in: NHL Media, Hockey Broadcasting, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

TreKronor's avatar

My issue has been the cameras zooming in and out during plays while they are panning side to side.  And when they zoom in, they quickly have to zoom out for a cross-ice pass at the blue line.  It seems like the guys running the cameras usually run Sunday Night Football or something.

Posted by TreKronor on 08/13/20 at 02:35 PM ET

Posted by TreKronor on 08/13/20 at 02:35 PM ET

Yeah, it’s dizzying.  Can you imagine if they did a regular broadcast using the cams from the Jumbotron as opposed from the broadcast booths?  We’d be so nauseous we’d think we’ve been drinking.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 08/13/20 at 03:01 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

I think the NHL has done a pretty good job with the circumstances myself. The draft was a clown show, but the rink with the screens and the fake sound and such, I mean, unsure what they could do better.

Its disappointing though, unlike other sports, the arena is really part of the post season product

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 08/13/20 at 03:10 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I honestly feel horrible for any team that wins the Cup this year (well, save a couple).  I can’t imagine winning the most prestigious trophy only to be presented with it and celebrate in an empty arena.  Even if you’re the visitor and you win, at least there are people there who stick around to see it, even if most of them aren’t your own fans.

Posted by TreKronor on 08/13/20 at 03:54 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by TreKronor on 08/13/20 at 03:54 PM ET

Total agree, fans too, some of the best Wings Cup memories were being at a house party, or Joe Vision, or the local bar.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 08/13/20 at 04:22 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I have to say I’ve been really impressed with the whole “game experience” part of what’s being presented. And the sort of neutral background in the stands has kept my focus on the ice.

But the thing I love the most about this new format is not having the asshats along the glass standing up every two seconds and pounding on the glass. I’d be willing to bet the players like that part too.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 08/13/20 at 07:04 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Funny, but the home teams players would like it, I think. LOL

Posted by bigfrog on 08/13/20 at 08:48 PM ET

Or the asshat turning around to face the camera every 10 seconds directly in the sight line to the goal.

Posted by evileye on 08/14/20 at 10:46 AM ET

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod’s pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 08/13/20 at 04:22 PM ET

1997.  Northside Nathan’s here in Las Vegas was where I was when Yzerman finally lifted the Cup.  I think it was the local CBS affiliate that was the only one who was there to cover the party.  Didn’t know; didn’t care.  I was never going to take my eyes off that flat-screen TV when the Wings were presented with the Cup.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 08/14/20 at 01:07 PM ET