Devils Sign Brunner To Multi-Year Contract

added 2:10pm,

added 2:34pm, Brunner talks to the media after signing his contract with the Devils, watch below...

Filed in: NHL Teams, New Jersey Devils, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: damien+brunner

Comments

Red Winger's avatar

May the Leino Spell haunt their every game

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 09/24/13 at 01:32 PM ET

soletrain's avatar

hell yeah Red Winger!!!

Posted by soletrain on 09/24/13 at 01:42 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I’m interested in the term and dollars, not that that will change my opinion of Brunner, but instead confirm what I thought all along.

Posted by calquake on 09/24/13 at 01:46 PM ET

Good luck to him.

Posted by Garth on 09/24/13 at 01:53 PM ET

Devils fans on hfboards are pretty stoked.  They seem to like him.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 09/24/13 at 01:54 PM ET

perfection's avatar

I want to know the money too. He and his agent clearly inflated his value or he would have been snatched up day one. I now wonder if his tryout was so good they ended up coming close to his demands or if the lack of interest finally made him come back down to earth?

also, if he ended up taking something close to what the Wings initially offered, I have to wonder if he doesn’t regret taking it? I mean, you go from one of the top, most stable, franchises in pro sports to one that’s falling apart at the seams.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 09/24/13 at 01:57 PM ET

perfection's avatar

regret NOT taking it…

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 09/24/13 at 01:58 PM ET

Paul's avatar

2 years, $5M total.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/24/13 at 02:11 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Good luck to him, except when he plays against the Wings.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 09/24/13 at 02:12 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

Yeah, I really liked him, but I seriously DOUBT the Wings didnt offer a deal as good as this

Too bad it took him this long to realise he’s not a superstar, yet

Posted by Zqto on 09/24/13 at 02:17 PM ET

2 years, $5M total.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/24/13 at 02:11 PM ET

Yeah, saw that from Tom Gulitti’s Twitter just now, too.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 09/24/13 at 02:27 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

As the Windsor Star’s Bob Duff noted, the Red Wings offered Brunner the exact same contract in June. Brunner’s agent, of course, told the Wings that they weren’t interested and would be “moving in a different direction.” The assumption at the time was that their camp wanted $3-3.5 million per season on a long-term deal.

I’m happy for Brunner and I hold no ill will toward him, but the grass was pretty dang green in Detroit, and it’s disappointing that his agent steered him away.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 09/24/13 at 03:06 PM ET

DocF's avatar

I would rather he be gone and give his minutes to Tatar.

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 09/24/13 at 03:07 PM ET

I would rather he be gone and give his minutes to Tatar.

Yeah, except that Tatar was always going to be on the Wings and it’s Clearey who is going to be getting Brunner’s minutes.

Posted by Garth on 09/24/13 at 03:12 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I don’t hate the guy at this point.  But I’ll say this, I hope he feels every bit as stupid as he looks.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 09/24/13 at 03:13 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by Garth on 09/24/13 at 03:12 PM ET

This

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 09/24/13 at 03:13 PM ET

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 09/24/13 at 03:06 PM ET

Unless I’ve been reading it wrong, the Wings were NOT going to guarantee Brunner a top-six spot on the final roster.  Maybe that’s what got Neil Sheehy all rusty-nails-up-the-ass.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 09/24/13 at 03:19 PM ET

perfection's avatar

wait… i thought we were waiving Tatar. or was that just last week?

I’m in full agreement. I would have liked to see him back and that is a fair contract. I know the Wings offered him the same, he seemed happy and top 6 or not, seemed to be getting put in situations for him to thrive. He’s now joining a team that just unexpectedly lost their superstar and whose fan base will likely have overreaching expectations. This just doesn’t seem like the best situation. I would think he’d be pretty angry at his agent who was promising him more money if he turned down the team that he was happy on. Dumb dumb move.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 09/24/13 at 03:48 PM ET

wait… i thought we were waiving Tatar. or was that just last week?

Obsess much?

Posted by Garth on 09/24/13 at 03:50 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

I wanted him back too, but when the contract expires we will only be 29. And a former Red Wing. We all know what that means.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 09/24/13 at 03:56 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

If the reports are accurate, Damien Brunner turned down this exact contract offer from the Red Wings.

Those minutes stopped belonging to Damien Brunner when that happened. They weren’t his minutes by the time Cleary signed anyway.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 09/24/13 at 04:11 PM ET

perfection's avatar

Posted by Garth on 09/24/13 at 03:50 PM ET

Haha. can’t take a little ribbing?

I just loved how you said “Tatar was always going to be on the Wings” with such unabashed certainty like you always thought that! I don’t think a good hearted chuckle at blatant hypocrisy is an obsession, especially seeing that I had an actual post after it.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 09/24/13 at 04:22 PM ET