Detroit vs. Montreal

The only game on the NHL schedule tonight so I thought today may be a good time to highlight some of the games between these two original six teams.

Throughout the day I will be dedicating posts to this great rivalry so let’s go to the video.

Probably one of the games most of us remember is the last game of Patrick Roy in Montreal sweater, December 2, 1995.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, Montreal Canadiens, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: patrick+roy

Comments

MOWingsfan19's avatar

That was the first Wings game I ever saw live.
Oddly enough, that was also the game that sent Paddy Wah off to Denver which bit us in the ass more than once.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 01/25/12 at 12:21 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by MOWingsfan19 on 01/25/12 at 09:21 AM ET

I’ve often and long thought that.  However another thought occurred to me after seeing Paul post this:

In a way, it also doomed Roy to also be further tormented by the Wings, who also got the better of him plenty including easily the single most-embarrassing moment of that entire rivalry, the Statue of Liberty play.

So I’m not so sure if you want to look at it half-full or half-empty.

Posted by Primis on 01/25/12 at 12:32 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Patrick Roy had so many “worst days of his career.”  I’m just glad that the Red Wings were the cause of most of them.  Fuch that guy.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/25/12 at 12:45 PM ET

Open up Kuklas Korner this morning for some intelligent hockey talk and see that 5 out of the first 8 articles are Wing-centric. Can we just drop the pretense and start calling the site Kuklas Wings Korner? Of course, I will be called a troll for even being on this site.

Posted by VAHockeyFan on 01/25/12 at 12:54 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

So I’m not so sure if you want to look at it half-full or half-empty.

Kinda both, we continued to have our moments in the sun, but that sumbitch was part of Detroit not winning a couple more Cups.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 01/25/12 at 12:55 PM ET

Paul's avatar
Open up Kuklas Korner this morning for some intelligent hockey talk and see that 5 out of the first 8 articles are Wing-centricCan we just drop the pretense and start calling the site Kuklas Wings KornerOf courseI will be called a troll for even being on this site.

Posted by VAHockeyFan on 01/25/12 at 09:54 AM ET

I am not going to call you a troll because I know you are not.

But there is only one game tonight, would you rather I do a story on where the Columbus Blue Jackets plan to spend their AS break?

Or maybe I can do a story about the weather being unseasonably warm in Ottawa, or that Drake will be performing at the ASG.

I will be posting other team related stories today.

Of course, A2Y is going to write about the Wings, afterall, that is what he does.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/25/12 at 12:59 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by VAHockeyFan on 01/25/12 at 09:54 AM ET

I’m sure if you wanted you could talk to Paul about adding content for whatever team you wish boss.  This place doesn’t have to be mostly Wings coverage you know.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/25/12 at 01:03 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

The Emperor MUST not be questioned. Off with your head.

Posted by Rdwings28 on 01/25/12 at 01:08 PM ET

I swear I saw Filipula @ 0:21 of the video!  hahah ...

Posted by KuklasWingsKorner on 01/25/12 at 01:21 PM ET

Paul: I know you try to be fair, and I applaud your refereeing of your posts to ensure that things don’t get out of hand, but you have to admit that there is an overwhelming amount of Wings articles/talk here. I don’t have a problem with that in principle, just that it would be nice to see it balanced with some other stuff. I also don’t like that some of the Wings fans (not all, of course) take it upon themselves to criticize anyone who posts contrary to their opinions on articles that are posted in what is supposed to be a hockey site….not a Wings site. I have learned to separate the verbose, snark and sarcasm from the real hockey talk, but sometimes it’s difficult. Just my humble opinion…..

Posted by VAHockeyFan on 01/25/12 at 01:23 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

somebody call the whaaa-mbulance..

Should be a great game tonight.. Anyone know if Eric Cole is up for grabs at all?

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/25/12 at 01:24 PM ET

Posted by VAHockeyFan on 01/25/12 at 10:23 AM ET

You can block any blogs you don’t want to read so that they won’t show up on your front page.

Or, of course, you can just not click on Wings-related articles.

Posted by Garth on 01/25/12 at 01:26 PM ET

By the way….I frequent your site because when you do get past that snarky, sarcastic, etc. talk, it has the most hockey-intelligent, articulate posters of any of the hockey sites around. I’d hate to lose that outlet for those supporters from the other 29 teams.

Posted by VAHockeyFan on 01/25/12 at 01:27 PM ET

Paul's avatar

VAHockeyFan, You do know you can avoid the Wings stories by blocking A2Y and The Malik Report from the homepage?

If not, just go Preferences under the search box at the top right and follow the directions.

Also, I am keeping an eye on comments from a few of the Detroit fans when it comes to non-Wings posts.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/25/12 at 01:27 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by VAHockeyFan on 01/25/12 at 10:23 AM ET

All things considered, as one of the established Wings fans around here, I’m obviously not complaining about the number of Wings-centric stories.

But I think it’s silly for people to continue to complain about this considering exactly how much Paul has worked his friggin’ tail off to make Kukla’s Korner a much more well-rounded hockey blog. He’s attempted to add a blogger for EVERY SINGLE TEAM and has added the ability for readers to simply “turn off” the blogs that they don’t want to see.

If you’re blocking the blogs you don’t want to see, then it’s 3 of 8 of the KK blog’s stories being Wings-centric and that’s not a horrible number considering that there’s only one game today (and one of those stories is a Montreal reporter’s take).

Honest question, what more would you people have Paul do to cater to you?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/25/12 at 01:35 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Over teh summer Paul got a blogger for about every team…  We can’t help Malik is the T-1000 of bloggers.. guy’s a machine, what do you want him to do, work less?

I would point out that I also get to follow the Canadiens here thanks to TUC and the Rangers courtesy Patty Hymen.. had decent Pens coverage in the past.  Petshark posts consistantly,.. I think you see where I’m going with this.  We have 3 Wings bloggers and they’re all good so it looks Wings heavy but it’s really however much each blogger puts into it.

And as far as debating opinions.. get over it.. some of us may be rough around the edges but overall we have some pretty good dialogue.. we just don’t like to sound like little prisses, thanks.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/25/12 at 01:43 PM ET

We are all human VA and as such we all have our own tendencies we move and grow toward, even if we try to be as biased in our own minds as possible. I know there is a wealth of hockey articles online, maybe instead of complaining you can use the guest blog on the site to post more of what you like to see? Be the change in the world, don’t be part of the sarcastic or critical crowd when you have some ability to control because that really does get no where in my opinion. But I think it was a valid point none the less.

Posted by Jasper on 01/25/12 at 01:44 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by VAHockeyFan on 01/25/12 at 10:23 AM ET

So you’re volunteering to contribute and write for KK?

Because in case you hadn’t noticed, there is no real hockey news this morning outside of DET-MTL tonight.  It’s literally the ONLY meaningful NHL game we’ll see for the next what, 5 or 6 days?

It’s two of the most-storied franchises in the league, with some of the greatest ever to play the game.  And one of the teams is the #1 team in the league standings at the moment.

Unless you can point out specific news you want to see/think that’s getting shafted, please stop whining.  I’m pretty sure Paul tries real hard to post a variety of stories on a variety of teams:  there just are none today unless you want to read another story about Ovechkin not going to the ASG, Crosby not playing still, where Suter/Weber will end up, or Brian Burke saying something incredibly stupid.

Posted by Primis on 01/25/12 at 02:32 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Wait…..Burke said something stupid?  This I gotta see.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 01/25/12 at 02:44 PM ET

George Malik is the main reason there’s so many Wings stories on here. The man is the King of all bloggers and digs up EVERY Redwing related note. That’s why I came to KK .. I followed his mlive blog forever and the man will keep you reading new material through out the day. So like Paul said simply block A2Y or the Malik Report.

Posted by GeorgeMalikPwns on 01/25/12 at 03:39 PM ET

Man.  What a memory.  And I saw that game live on CBC.  I couldn’t believe Tremblay didn’t pull him after the fourth or fifth goal and save Roy the humiliation.

Woulda, coulda.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 01/25/12 at 04:50 PM ET

NEB Wingnut's avatar

That’s why I came to KK .. I followed his mlive blog forever and the man will keep you reading new material through out the day.  Posted by GeorgeMalikPwns

Same deal for me.  I followed George from Mlive specifically for the Wings coverage but instead got the most complete hockey blog center anywhere.  It’s tough to chirp about being able to find 20 team-centric and 12 general blogs with one click.

Posted by NEB Wingnut from Omaha, Nebraska on 01/25/12 at 09:48 PM ET

After reading this article this morning, followed by tonight’s shallacking by Montreal, I half expected Howard and or Conklin to “pull a Roy” and quit the team on the spot.  Oh wait, they’re not pu$$ies.

Posted by sean_o_sean on 01/26/12 at 02:07 AM ET