Detroit Or Retire For Modano

from Chris McCosky of the Detroit News,

Forget about the Blackhawks or any other NHL team. If Westland native Mike Modano decides he wants to play hockey next season, he is going play for the Red Wings.

“There isn’t any other team,” said Modano, standing outside Tigers and Red Wings owner Mike Ilitch’s suite at Comerica Park Tuesday night. “It will be here or I’m not playing. I think it’s narrowed to that.”

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: mike+modano

Comments

Down River Dan's avatar

Bam!!!  Suck it cap strapped hawks.  grin

Posted by Down River Dan on 07/06/10 at 10:01 PM ET

UMFan's avatar

As a Detroit fan, I’m a bit torn. On one hand, I really do think that he could help on the thrid line. The man has had an outstanding career, for both Dallas and USA hockey, and I think he still has some gas left in the tank. Even if its not much, he could be a huge help in the mentoring program Detroit is famous for. On the other hand, Modano is a Dallas Star. I realize that not everything in life is puppies and firetrucks, but its sorta like the Bourque situation, or maybe Jeter playing for someone else besides the Yankees or Jordan playing for the Wizzards..It somehow feels a bit wrong.

Posted by UMFan from Denver, Colorado on 07/06/10 at 10:07 PM ET

Please?

Posted by Garth on 07/06/10 at 10:10 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Mike Modano will be an excellent third line center for the Red Wings. His experience and leadership will be invaluable for players like Abdelkader.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 07/06/10 at 10:18 PM ET

Paul's avatar

And don’t foreget, playing the point on the 2nd PP unit.  I keep saying it, no better choice than Mike.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/06/10 at 10:20 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

So who slipped the mickey in Mo’s drink?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 07/06/10 at 10:35 PM ET

His experience and leadership will be invaluable for players like Abdelkader.

Know what else would be great for Abdelkader?

Being able to play.

Third line minutes.

Every night.

At his natural position.

Bringing Modano in means that either Abdelkader battles Helm for 4th line centre, meaning one of them is not going to play centre and neither of them will play a full year, since you’ve also got three of Miller, Draper, Eaves and Ritola who need ice time, and one of whom will be gone.

All this for one year of a decent 40-year old?

Not to mention, his experience and leadership?  Right.  Because Detroit is currently SO lacking in experience.  And leadership.

Also not to mention again, that this does not address a single need Detroit has.  Bringing in an old third line centre who “still has some hockey in him” for more than either of the RFAs will cost is not going to help if our third pairing is a combo of Ericsson, Kindl and Meech.

Thanks but no thanks.

Please Mike.  Take a look at your incredibly hot wife, and remember that it’s so cold in the D.  Then look at your hot wife.  Then remember how much time you spent away from her when you were in Dallas.  Then look at your hot wife.  And keep looking at her.

And retire.

Posted by Garth on 07/06/10 at 10:46 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

All this for one year of a decent 40-year old?

Thanks but no thanks.

I believe it was one of Bill Shakespeare’s characters who said:

.....“me thinks thee doth protest too much”...

Why so much hatred for seeing mike don the Winged Wheel???

How about this scenario:  Wings first trip to DFW, the game goes to OT, Fabian Brunstrom turns the puck over to Modano, and he beats Marty high glove for the game Winner. ( Oh thats right , the stars cut him loose too).

Oh well, you can’t have everything.  wink

Posted by Down River Dan on 07/06/10 at 11:00 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Just retire, Mike.  It’s time.  This was the sign you’ve been waiting for…

Posted by Primis on 07/06/10 at 11:07 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Let’s see… Hudler/Modano/Cleary or Hudler/Abdelkader/Cleary?  I know what I would want.  Plus there is a real possibility that Lidstrom retires after this season.  If Modano helps to make a Cup run happen then do it.

Posted by calquake on 07/06/10 at 11:09 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Lets assume Modano gets signed. Who gets sacrificed? Not even talking cap here, just simple roster size. Even letting Ritola go, you’ve still gotta lose one more body.

Miller just re-signed, so its not likely to be him. All the other rostered forwards either aren’t getting traded or simply can’t get traded thanks to NTC. Which leaves the RFAs. Eaves, Helm, or Abby? Or live dangerous and drop Meech and deal with only 6 Dmen? Coax Draper into retirement and just eat his remaining cap hit?

Hate to say it, but looks to me like Eaves would be odd man out. Possibly Abby. I don’t like either scenario.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 07/06/10 at 11:25 PM ET

Why so much hatred for seeing mike don the Winged Wheel???

Because it would be one (or two) years at the expense of the future.

I think I’m protesting the exact amount.

We’re talking about taking on one 40-year old at the expense of possibly MULTIPLE players who are 14+ years younger than him.  We’re talking about bringing on a guy who is at the end of his career (and please, spare me the Dallas Drake comparison.  Modano doesn’t have the grit of Drake OR the hunger of a cup, since he’s already got a Staneley Cup ring) at the expense of one or more SOLID players who are at the BEGINNING of their careers.

Just retire, Mike.  It’s time.

+19 to the power of 19

Hudler/Modano/Cleary or Hudler/Abdelkader/Cleary?  I know what I would want.

Me too.  Option #2, thanks. With a side of fries please.

Why?  Because beyond the one-year of decentness that Modano brings, we could STILL have, completely intact, the Eaves/Helm/Miller line.  For many years.

Let’s all remember that this is 40-year old, 3rd line centre Mike Modano, not mid-90s, pre-Stanley Cup Mike Modano.

Posted by Garth on 07/06/10 at 11:26 PM ET

Someone pointed out that Miller’s new contract is very trade-friendly, so I would honestly guess he would be their first option for a trade, I just hate the idea of getting rid of Miller , who could have a long career as a Red Wing (the next generation of Kris Draper, with a little more offensive upside), in favour of a declining 40-fauxing-year old player.

Posted by Garth on 07/06/10 at 11:35 PM ET

scotts0's avatar

Why so much hatred for seeing mike don the Winged Wheel???

Because it would be one (or two) years at the expense of the future.

I think I’m protesting the exact amount.

Just retire, Mike.  It’s time.

+19 to the power of 19

Hudler/Modano/Cleary or Hudler/Abdelkader/Cleary?  I know what I would want.

Me too.  Option #2, thanks. With a side of fries please.

Posted by Garth on 07/06/10 at 10:26 PM ET

This.  Garth nails every single point perfectly.

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 07/06/10 at 11:44 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

That’s true, its just not very Wings-like. They’re not usually the team to sign a guy and turn around and send him on his way. It doesn’t do them any favors in negotiating future contracts, and good will with the players is one of the things they’ve worked long and hard to build.

Of the 4 RFAs, I think Miller is the most expendable, followed by Abby. But that doesn’t mean I have to like it.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 07/06/10 at 11:48 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I trust Tick-Tock.  Read what he says in the article.  That’s enough for me.

Posted by calquake on 07/06/10 at 11:59 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Dude.  Chief was right.  He’s on the team.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 07/07/10 at 12:20 AM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Helm and Abby better freaking get signed or one artery in this neck is going to blow for sure.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 07/07/10 at 12:25 AM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

... hey they thought Hull was a goat and see where that got us?

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 07/07/10 at 12:29 AM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

I’m past my “Really, you shouldn’t post more comments on the matter.” time, here.  Nearly violating my thou-shalt-not-post-after-midnight clause.

But I have to say, one thing Kenny’s always had going for us is that year-to-year, last-minute grab of an affordable, talented, hall-of-fame player to spice up the year for us as hockey fans, and, more importantly, bring them, and us, the best trophy in the history of any game.

It hurts me to think that people, pertinent people in the hockey press world, perhaps folks close to the Modano family—Michigan families, not all of them enjoying the same employment rates as NHL players, might see all these posts about hot wives and mantras to retire and maybe just be bit offended if they didn’t get our humor.  But then again, these same people know how to play Euchre.  And we all know there isn’t an honest Euchre player on this planet.  Come to think of it, screw you all.

I kinda like the story of Livonia boy makes good.  It’d be a great story to tell when we hoist the cup in a few Tuesdays.  If nothing else, it gives us all something to talk shit about for the next year other than Bert’s Bees and Hudler’s Haircut.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 07/07/10 at 03:39 AM ET

edillac's avatar

not liking this at all,
Eaves,Ritola and Abdul are keepers,Modano is a Star,we are not the Dive

Posted by edillac from isolation on 07/07/10 at 05:32 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

Think about it guys… Abdelkader isn’t going anywhere. The Wings know better than anyone he HAS to play now, he can’t sit in the press box half the season. Barring injury, Abdelkader will get into at least 60 games. As for whether he plays center or wing… I really don’t give a shit, to be honest. He just needs NHL minutes, and he will get them.

Miller is your 13th forward.

If they have to let Ritola go the Kyle Quincey route, so be it. Ritola is even less proven than Quincey was when they had to let him leave, and while Quincey has turned into a solid NHL player, let’s level, it’s not like having him the last two years would’ve given us a three-peat—he was no better than any of the top six we already had. And with Ritola, sure, there’s always a bit of a sting when you let an unknown go, but I don’t think he’s all that unknown to the Wings brass—he’s had a lot of time in the AHL, a few camps, and a few stints with the big club. People keep waiting for him to be the next Pav/Hank, but you have to remember, right from both Pav and Hank’s first shifts with the big club, it was obvious they possessed some skill that was at another level. Pav has always been able to stick-handle in a phone booth, and Hank has always had a Forsberg-lite ability to stick to the puck. Tell me where Ritola has shown you a skill like that? All I see is a guy that can be a Drew Miller type—10 goals, hard work, and PK. We have that, and it’s never hard to find it cheap in free agency or the draft if we need more of it in the years to come.

So this is the real hard part—you’ve got Eaves and Draper. Truth be told, Eaves is the more useful all-around player at this point. Draper can still skate and win faceoffs, but Eaves has a shot Drapes has never possessed.

My guess is negotiations with both Miller and Eaves were/are centered around each player feels being the 13th forward. One of the two would be traded if Modano is signed, or subject to waivers, at which point I’d think either would be picked up based on the strong seasons they had last year. My gut tells me Miller is the guy to try and trade if Modano comes in because Eaves has much better offensive upside. But my heart tells me Eaves is the guy to try and trade because Miller is local and could be a good, long-term sandpaper guy like Draper has been for so long.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 07/07/10 at 07:53 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

If Modano plays it most likely is for only one year. He wants the opportunity to play for his hometown franchise before putting the exclamation mark on a superb career. He deserves it, and the Wings can afford it.

It would be hard to not believe Modano wouldn’t have a relative resurgence playing on Detroit. No, he will never be the Mike of the mid-90’s, but he doesn’t have to be. He is an effective depth player now, with loads of experience.

Abbie will only be 24 this year. That’s still embryonic stage in the Red Wings organization. He has time.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 07/07/10 at 09:48 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Modano is a Star,we are not the Dive

And Drake was a Blue. So?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 07/07/10 at 11:27 AM ET

Why?  Because he’s 40 now, instead of 39, 38 or 37 like he was the last three years his production has declined?

And we don’t have a bunch of effective depth players already?

If it WAS the Modano of the mid-90s I wouldn’t argue, but he’s not.

Unless he’s the veteran defenseman we’re looking for then I don’t don’t see the point.  Is Holland annoyed at his team being called old all the time that he wants to go out and prove everyone right?

Posted by Garth on 07/07/10 at 11:32 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

And Drake was a Blue. So?

Posted by mrfluffy from Cincy on 07/07/10 at 10:27 AM ET

And Drake was a Wing, first. I like Mike. Just not as a Wing. It’s time to move on. Forward not backward.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!