Detroit Expects Helm Back Early In Round 1

from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

Detroit Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said center Darren Helm might start skating by the end of the week, or early next week.

“We still expect he’s going to be ready in the first round of the playoffs; not Game 1, but anytime from Game 2 on,’’ Holland said. “He’s done pretty good healing the last nine days.’‘

Helm suffered a sprained left medial collateral ligament March 17 in San Jose, when he checked Dominic Moore.

The team said he would be out four-to-six weeks. Game 1 of the playoffs is April 11 or 12.

“This is the longest I’ve ever had to sit out. I’ve usually gotten back pretty quick from injuries,’’ Helm said on Friday. “This time we’re going to put a little more effort into making sure I get back quicker.’‘

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: darren+helm

Comments

MsRedWinger's avatar

Thanks, Paul.  Very, very, very happy to hear this.  I hope he doesn’t have any set backs.  We need him back in the line up!

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/03/12 at 11:32 AM ET

perfection's avatar

Forgive me for sounding too Eklund-y with this…

but my sister, who I’m attending the last game of the season with in Detroit, has some good friends on the Notre Dame hockey team and when they found out she was going up for the game told her yesterday they were all going up for the game as well because a certain first round draft pick who was their teammate only a month ago told them he is getting his first call up to Detroit on Thursday and/or Saturday and gave them tix.

I can’t find anything online about it yet, but this would indicate the Wings either plan on resting some folks, want to get his toes wet just in case we make a deep run and he somehow finds his way back onto the ice, or he’s been really impressive and they want to see how he looks surrounded by NHL talent.

For the record, I’ve been to about 8 Notre Dame hockey games over the past two seasons to watch him and he’s really already an awesomely well rounded and mature player. He probably can hold his own against NHL players IMO.

This is still technically a rumor, but you heard it here first!

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/03/12 at 12:07 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Well if a certain mystery player—let’s just refer to him obtusely as RS—were poised to make an NHL debut, I would sincerely hope he not being thrown to the Blues, and that he is here to spell Cleary a rest.

Posted by MoreShoot on 04/03/12 at 12:32 PM ET

Well, Easter is right around the corner.

Posted by Herm from the office on 04/03/12 at 12:37 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Posted by MoreShoot on 04/03/12 at 10:32 AM ET

Ricky Stratton?

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 04/03/12 at 03:21 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I’ll vomit slightly less now.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/03/12 at 04:38 PM ET

The player in question, RS as he’s become known, can’t be called up to the Red Wings because he’s not under contract with the Wings yet. I’m sure he’ll be signed soon and Jim Nill admitted as much but for the time being he’s only on an ATO with the Griffins.

However, the Wings are allowed to offer similar contracts in some circumstances and it would be neat if he got into a game to test it out. Great scoop, hope its true!

Posted by Michael Petrella on 04/03/12 at 08:02 PM ET