Derek Boogaard Has Passed Away

More updates below. Original post time of this post was 10:46pm ET, Friday, May 13th.
_____________________________________________

image

From TSN:

New York Rangers forward Derek Boogaard was found dead in his apartment on Friday.

Minneapolis Star Trbune’s Michael Russo first reported the news of Boogard’s passing on Twitter Friday evening, saying the 28-year-old was found dead in his apartment by his family.

“Derek was an extremely kind and caring individual,” Rangers president and general manager Glen Sather said in a release.  “He was a very thoughtful person, who will be dearly missed by all those who knew him.  We extend our deepest sympathies to his family, friends and teammates during this difficult time.”

continued…

Michael Russo at the Star Tribune:

Boogaard is survived by his mother, Joanne, and father, Len, his younger brothers Aaron and Ryan and younger sister, Krysten.

Boogaard, a fan favorite in Minnesota, had 54 NHL fights and amassed 544 penalty minutes in five seasons with the Wild.

More from the NY Rangers.

Update 11:15pm ET: Michael Russo’s Tweets tonight regarding this tragic news.

NOTE: More updates added below.

image

image

Update 11:44pm ET: Courtesy of a reminder from Empty Netters out of Pittsburgh, this light-hearted commercial featuring Boogaard from a few years ago:

*photo credit to Carlos Gonzalez via the Star-Tribune

Update 1:15am ET: Craig Custance at Sporting News talks to Wes Walz—

At just 28 years old, Boogaard is dead. The New York Rangers announced the sad news on Friday night. The Minneapolis Star Tribune first reported it—Boogaard was found dead in his apartment, the cause currently unknown.

“I almost drove into the ditch,” Walz told Sporting News on Friday night.

Walz immediately went home, got on his computer and tried to find out more. Everybody did. For four years, Boogaard sat to Walz’s right in the Minnesota Wild dressing room. Any hockey player will tell you, you form a bond with the guy constantly changing gear next to you after countless hours sweating through practice together.

more from Walz and others

Filed in: NHL Teams, Minnesota Wild, New York Rangers, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: derek+boogaard

Comments

Sad.  He never really got a chance with the Rangers.  Another NHL tough guy with a tragic ending.

Posted by 13 user names on 05/14/11 at 12:58 AM ET

Baroque's avatar

Poor kid. Five years younger than my baby sister.

I hope his family is close, because they will need to support each other. What a sad thing to happen to someone so young.

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 05/14/11 at 01:06 AM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

Baroque - Almost 5 years younger than my baby sister, too. Far too young.  I feel sick for them.

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 05/14/11 at 01:20 AM ET

hockeychic's avatar

This is just awful.  Gone too soon.

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 05/14/11 at 01:22 AM ET

Alan's avatar

So unbelievably sad. Taken from us far too soon…

RIP Boogie

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 05/14/11 at 01:23 AM ET

MNWing's avatar

Holy. Hell.  Horrible….not supposed to happen to someone that age.

Posted by MNWing on 05/14/11 at 01:51 AM ET

Condolences. Everything I’ve ever read about this kid is how much people loved him. R.I.P. Boogeyman.

Posted by godblender on 05/14/11 at 02:19 AM ET

As an admitted Islanders fan and Ranger hater, I feel the need to put sports rivalries aside tonight and send my prayers out to the Boogaard family and the New York Rangers organization.

Posted by RogerNYLA on 05/14/11 at 05:00 AM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Boy you think your life is in the Shitter & then stuff like this happens! just terrible !! thoughts & prayers out to his family & friends

Posted by Evilpens on 05/14/11 at 10:30 AM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Life changes is a split second. This is so terribly sad. My heartfelt condolences to Derek’s family.

Respectfully,
Kate

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 05/14/11 at 10:44 AM ET

Soul crushing news from Minnesota.  Boogaard was an outstanding individual and the sport is far less bright today.  My heart goes out to his family, friends and all his current and former teammates.

I encourage everyone to take the time to read this article from a non-traditional hockey source:

Extremely well written and provides some tremendous insight into the world of Derek Boogaard.

Rest in peace.

Posted by Unicorn Force from DC (but like everyone here, I'm not a local) on 05/14/11 at 11:23 AM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by Unicorn Force from DC (but like everyone here, I’m not a local) on 05/14/11 at 09:23 AM ET

Thank you for the link.

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 05/14/11 at 11:38 AM ET

monkey's avatar

That is awful.  He is so young.

Posted by monkey from Prague on 05/14/11 at 11:44 AM ET

Jennemy of the Skate's avatar

Tragic news. My heart goes out to his family. Way to young to be taken from them.

And this is why you never let a day go by without letting the people that you care about know how much you love them. Because you just never know when your time is up.

Posted by Jennemy of the Skate from the bar car on the stress train on 05/14/11 at 11:51 AM ET

Sal's avatar

Boogaard took the time to travel to Russia to help with Datsyuk’s hockey camps.  By all accounts, the Boogey Man was one of the good guys.  Peace to his family.

Posted by Sal from the shadow of the Great Smoky Mountains on 05/14/11 at 12:28 PM ET

Paul's avatar

NEW YORK—Gary Bettman, commissioner of the National Hockey League, today released the following statement regarding the passing of New York Rangers forward Derek Boogaard:

“The news that we have lost someone so young and so strong leaves everyone in the National Hockey League stunned and saddened. The NHL family sends its deepest condolences to all who knew and loved Derek Boogaard, to those who played and worked with him and to everyone who enjoyed watching him compete.”

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/14/11 at 12:39 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Wow, horrible news. My thoughts go out to his family and to all the lives he touched.
Too bad it takes a trajedy to bring all the wonderful things he was part of to the attention of us all.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/14/11 at 01:48 PM ET

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

wow pretty unbelievable.  I had to re read it a few times before it sunk in. Prayers go out to him and his family. wow, im still so shocked.  Does anyone know the cause of his death?

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 05/14/11 at 05:40 PM ET

Paul's avatar

STATEMENT FROM MINNESOTA WILD OWNER CRAIG LEIPOLD ON THE PASSING OF DEREK BOOGAARD

The entire Minnesota Wild family and hockey world was saddened to learn of the passing of Derek Boogaard. Derek was certainly one of the most popular players in Wild history with the fans and was a great community representative. He brought an exuberant smile to the rink every day and gave his all every night on the ice.

A number of thoughts go through my mind as I think of Derek. One is the first time I met him in early 2008. I was well aware of Derek’s reputation as a tough guy. He was in the locker room in dress clothes, glasses and hair combed. I thought he was an investment banker. He introduced himself to me and we had a brief conversation. I didn’t want to bother him because he was busy signing autographs. This was something, I came to learn, he did a lot of.

Second, Derek would never fight someone who wasn’t in his “class”. He never wanted to hurt anybody. He had too much respect for the game, and the players had total respect for him.

Lastly, I received a phone call last night at 1:00 a.m. from my son, Connor, who is a freshman in college. Connor interned for the Wild last year, and his favorite person (not just player) was Derek. You could hear in his voice just how affected he was, since he had just learned of Derek’s passing. He had a lot of questions, and I had no answers.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the entire Boogaard family during this challenging time.

Derek will be missed by all of us.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/14/11 at 07:25 PM ET