Dennis Wideman Suspended 20 Games

Will update as more information becomes available.

added 1:50pm,

added 1:52pm,

added 2:01pm, NHL release is below...

added 2:04pm, video of the hit is below too...

NEW YORK (Feb. 3, 2016) – Calgary Flames defenseman Dennis Wideman has been suspended for 20 games, without pay, for conduct violative of Rule 40 (Physical Abuse of Officials) during NHL Game No. 742 in Calgary on Wednesday, Jan. 27, the National Hockey League announced today.

The incident occurred at 11:19 of the second period.

Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and, based on his average annual salary, Wideman will forfeit $564,516.20. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Calgary Flames, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: dennis+wideman

Comments

Wow.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 02/03/16 at 02:54 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Pleasantly surprised.  Gotta protect those refs everyone pays to see, though.

What, you expect the nhl to treat them like players?  Hah.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 02/03/16 at 03:08 PM ET

jpellek's avatar

Tough spot for the league…a minimal punishment would send the wrong message to the officials and undoubtedly upset the official labor union. To me this screams of making an example of Wideman to show the players that they’re serious about mistreatment to the officials, purposeful or not.

Posted by jpellek on 02/03/16 at 03:28 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Despite the media’s best efforts to frame it as an accident.

I love how many people jumped on the accident theory.  Here’s a thought, has anyone ever seen a half-concussed guy smoke anyone on the way to the bench?  Or, does anyone think that he would have done that to a guy in a Flames jersey?  Also, why would he not stop to see what happened?

I’m dumbfounded by this.  I thought he deserved 20, so I was certain he’d get 2.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 02/03/16 at 03:33 PM ET

jpellek's avatar

Despite the media’s best efforts to frame it as an accident.

Another issue is that if Wideman was concussed, the league has the issue on their hands of the Flames allowing a player to continue playing while not going through protocol to be medically cleared. This outcome ultimately avoids that although it won’t stop people from questioning Wideman’s condition at the time.

Posted by jpellek on 02/03/16 at 04:07 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

First time I’ve seen the full footage of the hit - looks like Wideman could be a little out of sorts right before the hit but yeah, that’s a tough spot for the league to be in, intent or no intent.  Tough spot for Wideman, too.  Message sent, though…

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 02/03/16 at 04:13 PM ET

Primis's avatar

NHLPA is going to raise a ruckus.

And they should.

NHL is completely glossing over the concussion impairment implications here.  I could see this spawning a suit outside of the league’s own process.

Starting off with 20 games is ridiculous though.

Posted by Primis on 02/03/16 at 04:14 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Message sent, though…

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 02/03/16 at 03:13 PM ET

Well that’s the problem:  what message?

Don’t go out and get concussed?  Officials always have the right of way?  The league is scared of the officials union?

Posted by Primis on 02/03/16 at 04:16 PM ET

Expected 10, feared 20.  Thanks Oba…Bettman!

Posted by neffernin on 02/03/16 at 04:21 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

NHLPA is going to raise a ruckus.

And they should.

Starting off with 20 games is ridiculous though.

I’m on both sides of the fence here.
I for one think 20 games is appropriate. He didn’t bump into the ref on accident at the last second.
His excuse of seeing him at the last minute is laughable.
He clearly drew back and fired a hard and mean crosscheck at the individual in front of him out of frustration.

But I also don’t believe that in his mind he was attacking a linesman. I’d bet my last loonie ($.35 US), that he was concussed and severely dazed and confused.

So where does the blame lay?
I think this case has great potential to start off a major poop-storm with the league, the PA and the players currently suing the NHL.

The player SHOULD argue that it was the team’s responsibility to have him checked out.
If Wideman is forced to sit in the Dark Room, I wonder if the suspension is as severe.
But they didn’t. So does that fall on the players shoulders? No player worth his weight in hockey currency is going to purposely take himself out of the game.
And the NHL is constantly using the toughness and selflessness of the players as a means to promote the league. They hang their hat on that stuff. But suddenly the player is supposed to make an about-face and decide to buck the trend? I don’t think so.

The NHLPA should file a grievance and use all of the above as evidence that the league did nothing to help ensure its players safety.
And I’m sure the former players involved in the lawsuit are ringing their hands waiting for Wideman to make this same argument.
The only question is, will Wideman have to throw the teams trainer under the bus. That could cause issues in the dressing room.

The NHL was almost forced to throw down a lengthy suspension. If you don’t throw the book at him, you may have a mutiny on your hands with your officials.

It’s a very messy situation and it’ll be interesting to see what comes of it.

Posted by Hank1974 on 02/03/16 at 04:31 PM ET

Good for NHL, 20 games no enough in my opinion.
This was a cheat shot at the official. Dazed and confused? I don’t buy it one bit.
I’ve watched and rewatched that clip countless times. This was not an accidental run in.
He raises his arms gives that linesman a shot.
Again, good on NHL to come down hard on this.

Posted by George0211 on 02/03/16 at 04:32 PM ET

Mistercristo's avatar

This is such bullshit.

The NHL’s message: “We don’t care about head injuries or their effects.”

#HeadTraumasMatter

I’ll ask again because no one had an answer last time: how can they invoke any part of Rule 40 if Wideman was never given a game misconduct per 40.1?  How can anything - suspension, hearing, etc. - that follows be predicated on not satisfying 40.1 (game misconduct)?  That’s the equivalent of a police officer giving you a ride home instead of a PI then arresting you for a DUI once you get there.

Posted by Mistercristo from Cameron Frye's garage, circa 1987 on 02/03/16 at 04:50 PM ET

... Further throwing any consistency in calls completely out the window…

Posted by SlimChance on 02/03/16 at 04:52 PM ET

I love how many people jumped on the accident theory.

I love that anyone- ANYONE- could possibly think that Wideman decided to hit a ref on purpose.

I don’t buy it one bit.

Hahaha, but you buy that a guy who has no history of any kind of behaviour like this just decided (in the words of Nice Guy Eddie) “out of the f*cking blue” to just go off on a ref?

Sure, that’s totally believable.

Well that’s the problem:  what message?

Exactly.

Is the message that players have to be responsible for what happens when they’re hit head first into the boards?

Great message, NHL.

This outcome ultimately avoids that

I completely disagree.  It’s the perfect basis for an appeal.

If it were a short suspension it would be one thing, but to take over a half a million dollars from a guy for something that he did possibly as a result of a head injury?

They’re virtually begging for a trouble.

That’s true.  I bet the NHL doesn’t think for a second that the length of the suspension will stand up, but at least in the eyes of the referees they can say they did the right thing.

Posted by Garth on 02/03/16 at 05:10 PM ET

Sure, that’s totally believable.

Because it can only be believable if the person in question has the history? History has to start somewhere, don’t you think? Players aren’t born with a reputation.

By the way, the hit on Wideman was a clean hit, shoulder to shoulder, where do you even see a hit to the head? He gets up, starts skating, slams his stick on the ice, which tells me right there he is pissed.
Then right before he runs into the ref whose back he is looking straight at, raises his arms and slams him.
There was absolutely not need for that shove if this was an accident.

Posted by George0211 on 02/03/16 at 05:19 PM ET

Slumpy's avatar

The guy has played 775 NHL games without ever get disciplined by the league.
I like how the linesman made sure to turn his back on tuned up Wideman after he took that big hit too shock  Make that dizzy player go around me back to bench.
To many refs on ice and lineman.
Time to put most of these zebras up in a tennis official type chairs off ice to make calls, so players can have more room.
Last few players busted for abusing the zebras were carcillo, peca and dwyer for what it’s worth.

Posted by Slumpy from Under My Wheels on 02/03/16 at 05:30 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

There was absolutely not need for that shove if this was an accident

That part is pretty damning IMO, he wasn’t just protecting himself. Did he know it was a ref?? I’d like to believe he didn’t “know” who it was, but he wasn’t raising his hands to cut through the air.
If Wideman was truly concussed, he should have had his time in the quiet room… equally damning to the medical staff of the Flames.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 02/03/16 at 05:32 PM ET

29 seconds into the embedded video.  Wideman goes headfirst into the boards.  Which is what I said, but you decided to change my words and say he got hit in the head.  But whatever, I guess you’re going to read whatever words you want to read, no matter what was actually written.

Right, because everything that someone does once they’re concussed is rational?

Then right before he runs into the ref whose back he is looking straight at

Weird, because the only angle that I’ve seen is from behind Wideman, so I’d be curious how you know he’s looking “straight at” the guy.

There was absolutely not need for that shove if this was an accident.

Wow, you’re hilarious.

You understand that the “accidental” part is that he didn’t know it was a official, right?

He just got him.  He might be concussed.  He’s definitely in pain.  He sees someone skating towards him.  He’s a guy who has played 755 NHL games over ten seasons.  Do you think guys don’t learn to instinctively throw their hands up when someone is bearing down on them?  What he did is what happens fifty times in every single game.

Someone is coming at you, you react.

I can’t honestly believe it’s a difficult concept to grasp…

Posted by Garth on 02/03/16 at 05:35 PM ET

Posted by George0211 on 02/03/16 at 04:19 PM ET

George, history does start somewhere but I think you can agree that most players, at his age, don’t start their reputations by cross checking a ref in the back (maybe at age 19 or something in a beer league)... but there is SOMETHING wrong with this picture, something doesn’t seem right. I mean, yeah it’s really fuching strange. I don’t know whether he meant it or whether he thought it was the player who hit him. It’ just strange. The fact that fuching d bags get 2 games for concussing players for months and this ref is completely fine and wideman (with no history, no “real reason” to do it and get 20 games seems unfair.

Posted by Pasha1277 on 02/03/16 at 05:36 PM ET

equally damning to the medical staff of the Flames.

Absolutely.

Posted by Garth on 02/03/16 at 05:36 PM ET

+1 for the reservoir dogs reference

Posted by SlimChance on 02/03/16 at 05:49 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

quote]Another issue is that if Wideman was concussed, the league has the issue on their hands of the Flames allowing a player to continue playing while not going through protocol to be medically cleared.

Staying on the bench after hitting the Official sealed Wideman’s fate

Either way the Concussion protocol was missed.

I did think he would/should get more. Sure looked like he skated a bit towards the official.  Only Wideman knows what happened

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 02/03/16 at 06:02 PM ET

George, I feel like you post some reactionary comments occasionally, but it’s completely impossible that if you watched the video countless times and didn’t see Wideman go headfirst into the boards, then hold his head as he’s trying to get up.
Man.I don’t know. All I can say is that anything you comment on in the future has to be taken with a grain of salt because it’s obvious his head bounces off the boards then he goes down to the ice. Watch the video again countless times and let us know if you see him fall down after his head goes into the boards then look like he’s having a hard time getting up off the ice.

Posted by teldar on 02/03/16 at 07:04 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Not the first time the same linesman has been involved…

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/03/16 at 07:12 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Not the first time the same linesman has been involved…

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/03/16 at 06:12 PM ET

That’s…. very interesting because it’s almost the exact same situation.

Henderson on that one just plain totally got in the way of a player, and I would EVEN go so far as to say Henderson *might* have done it on PURPOSE on that one.  Because he was not looking at the play…

It was blind and obviously not on purpose with Wideman…. but isn’t it interesting that this is an official that this has happened to before?...  Maybe Henderson needs to start figuring out where the f*** he is on the ice, since we’re willing to wildly speculate what was going on in WIdeman’s head and his intent?

Posted by Primis on 02/03/16 at 07:43 PM ET

Alan's avatar

That same night, didn’t Lucic give a ref a knuckle sandwich?

If we’re going to suspend Wideman for this, Lucic should be suspended for that.

Otherwise, suspending a clearly disoriented Wideman for 20 games is uncalled for.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 02/03/16 at 08:05 PM ET

What a joke. More dartboard justice from the NHL.

If the NHL is so serious about accountability for serious work related injuries, then
they’ll richly deserve all of the unwelcome scrutiny that’s only begun regarding their
denial and evasion all of these years regarding severe brain injuries.

Their rationale for this decision doesn’t make sense to me, and maybe it won’t make sense to
them when a judge, outside of their insular, self-justifying old boy’s club doesn’t buy that
the league did everything it could to prevent them and had no further responsibility.

Posted by Lefty30 on 02/03/16 at 08:29 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

It does seem deserved. The lineman had no protection except for a helmet. smirk

Posted by bigfrog on 02/03/16 at 08:54 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Garth, have ever seen any player level anyone while they made their woozy way to the bench?  C’mon man.  If that had been a guy in a Flames jersey, he would just have buried him and got to the bench without a glance back?

Unbelievable.  Such a golden boy would never!  The video lies!

(It’s really somehow about concussion protocol…?  I guess some people are anti-league no matter what.)

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 02/04/16 at 02:06 AM ET

Settle down Garth, no one is changing your words. I’m pointing out that there was no reason for Wideman to be upset at the officials because the hit itself was clean, yet he acted like he was.

Because he is skating right at him. And how do YOU know where he was looking? 2 can play this game.

Right, because everything that someone does once they’re concussed is rational?

Probably not, but not an excuse to drill an official like he did.

Wow, you’re hilarious.

WOW, you’re hilarious.
You do understand that calling this an “accident” is just your opinion. And obviously, the league didn’t think it was an accident, hence 20 games. Yes, I played that card grin

Someone is coming at you, you react.

I can’t honestly believe it’s a difficult concept to grasp…

And why is it such a difficult concept for you to grasp, that this is just your interpretation of what happened. Your argument is that he has no idea that this was a linesman in front of him and I don’t agree. To me it looks he knew exactly who it was and simply didn’t care.
And again played 755 games without a suspension does not mean anything. Maybe if he had previous suspensions, this one would have been 40 games instead of 20. So how do you know it didn’t come into play.

Posted by George0211 on 02/04/16 at 08:55 AM ET

Posted by teldar on 02/03/16 at 06:04 PM ET

Teldar, you don’t want to read my comments, that’s fine. I won’t lose any sleep over it. But before that, please point to where I wrote he didn’t get hit? I said the hit on him was clean, I never said anything about his head hitting the boards.

Posted by George0211 on 02/04/16 at 08:57 AM ET

Mistercristo's avatar

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 02/03/16 at 02:33 PM ET

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 02/04/16 at 01:06 AM ET

...and yet, despite Wideman supposedly acting worse than Maurice Richard in 1955, he didn’t receive a two minute penalty, much less a game misconduct.

Amazing.

Why did your husband put you up to this, Mrs Henderson?  He should speak for himself.

Posted by Mistercristo from Cameron Frye's garage, circa 1987 on 02/04/16 at 09:32 AM ET

Mistercristo's avatar

I never said anything about his head hitting the boards.

Posted by George0211 on 02/04/16 at 07:57 AM ET

We know; you keep conveniently ignoring that fact, and you continue to misconstrue “injured” as “angry”.  One is objective (diagnosed concussion) and the other is subjective (possible transference).

*closes door on this dead end thread*

Posted by Mistercristo from Cameron Frye's garage, circa 1987 on 02/04/16 at 09:49 AM ET

Ahh, perfect, pick and choose bits and pieces of what I wrote without any context.

Posted by George0211 on 02/04/16 at 09:51 AM ET