Del Zotto Traded To The Nashville Predators

added 1:51pm,

added 2:32pm, Nashville release below...

Nashville, Tenn. – Nashville Predators President of Hockey Operations/General Manager David Poile announced today that the club has acquired defenseman Michael Del Zotto from the New York Rangers in exchange for defenseman Kevin Klein.

“Michael gives us another young, gifted left-handed shooting defenseman with significant offensive upside,” Poile said. “We look forward to his presence on our already talented young blue line, further balancing our defensive corps.”

Del Zotto, 23 (6/24/90), has 11 points (2g-9a) in 42 games this season for the Rangers while averaging 17:44 of ice time. In 292 career NHL games – all with the Rangers – the 6-0, 195-pound native of Stouffville, Ont., has amassed 121 points (26g-95a), including 37 (9g-28a) in 80 games in 2009-10, being named to the NHL All-Rookie Team. Del Zotto has also appeared in 32 postseason contests over the past two springs, posting 12 points (3g-9a).

The New York Rangers’ first choice, 20th overall (first round), in the 2008 Entry Draft, Del Zotto posted 183 points (39g-144a) in 190 Ontario Hockey League games with Oshawa and London from 2006-09. He also represented Canada at the 2010 World Championships

Filed in: NHL Teams, Nashville Predators, New York Rangers, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: kevin+klein, michael+del+zotto

Comments

Awesome, I love how other teams are making some moves and the redwings stand pat so they can “see what they got when we’re healthy” -ticktock.

Posted by Pasha1277 on 01/22/14 at 02:03 PM ET

Oh my God. Klein was one of the guys I had my eyes on. That was one of my targets….

Posted by VitoLambruski on 01/22/14 at 02:15 PM ET

DrewBehr's avatar

Weird to dump Klein after they just signed him to a 5-year deal.

@Pasha Kenny’s probably kicking tires, but in this situation… the Wings just don’t have valuable pieces to offer, especially if we’re talking of swapping d-men.

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 01/22/14 at 03:04 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Jones made Klein expensive and obsolete.

Speaking of obsolete, it reminds me of a certain GM in a nearby “city of motors” who just cant seem to figure out how the cap era works.

Posted by Hootinani on 01/22/14 at 03:40 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

No, but they have other things.  I was watching the Wild last night and thinking: would they take , say, Tatar and Ouellett for Brodin?  Brodin is still quite young, but has potential to be elite.  Wild need scoring, which Tatar could add.  (Of course, so do we).  Much as I would hate to lose Sauce, I’d package him for a top pair D-man in the making.  I don’t think, for D, that the trade market for a veteran top pair exists to fit our available players. We need to look for someone on the cusp, no?  If I thought the Wild could take Weiss straight up for Brodin, I would gladly do that, but I doubt they have the cap space.

Posted by MoreShoot on 01/22/14 at 03:45 PM ET

Posted by Hootinani on 01/22/14 at 03:40 PM ET

“I like our team.”

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 01/22/14 at 03:46 PM ET

@MoreShoot

For one, I would NEVER trade Tartar for someone like Brodin. Brodin is good but We have no true natural goal scorers on the team except for maybe….  Tartar. And again. Franzen is an awesome sniper and has the best actual shot on the team. He is inconsistent and is injured. So basically tats. I would trade tartar and oulette for someone like Oliver Eckman larrson, who has already proven to be elite and is younger than Brodin.

Posted by Pasha1277 on 01/22/14 at 03:49 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

I hope Kenny is doing more than kicking tires, like kicking himself in the ass for Mule’s K, and signing Sammy (especially to a NTC,WTF?) and Buckets.

Seriously, with the team’s cap issues, salaries must match or the trading partner must be willing to take in more salary than they are getting.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 01/22/14 at 03:51 PM ET

Looks like yotes need scoring as well.

Posted by Pasha1277 on 01/22/14 at 03:54 PM ET

Oh.. just FYI.. I almost cried when I heard on the radio that Hossa hit 22 goals this weekend. Meaning he reached the 20 goal mark like 8 times or some shit. I’m like.. uhhhhgg…. should have kept Hossa over Franzen. Damnit..

Posted by Pasha1277 on 01/22/14 at 03:55 PM ET

Never understood why the wings didn’t try harder to keep hossa.  The guy turned down offers from the penguins and even sought out the wings he wanted to play for them so badly.  I never saw any decline to his game while he was a wing either.  The guy plays so good defensively and has the ability to put up some serious offensive numbers as well.  I credit him for ‘teaching’ the penguins forwards how to back-check.  He never gives up on the play, ever.  At some point though his game is going to decline… and the hawks will have a pretty big cap hit to cover.  5.3 million until 2021!

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 01/22/14 at 04:01 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Me, too, but we don’t have the cap space for OEL, I don’t think.  So, make it Ouellett and Sheahan, or, maybe more to the Wild’s liking, Almquist and Sheahan.  Koivu is getting old, and he’s been hurt, and they need center depth as well.

Posted by MoreShoot on 01/22/14 at 04:20 PM ET

We didn’t do more to keep hossa because 3 Cleary types are the equivalent of 1 Hossa… At least in the magical world of Kenny holland.

Posted by Robert on 01/22/14 at 04:32 PM ET

@ Robert

LMAO

Posted by Pasha1277 on 01/22/14 at 04:39 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

A lot of our current angst and anxiety can be traced back to Kenny not being able to keep Hossa, or not choosing to, it would seem.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 01/22/14 at 05:04 PM ET

Did I miss something?  Is he famous for helping teammates keep their groins loose?

Posted by Garth on 01/22/14 at 05:08 PM ET

Two prospects for OEL.

Including defensemen that have a combined 5 games played in the NHL.

LOL.

I love this fan base…clueless about anything outside of Detroit.

Posted by fromdowntown on 01/22/14 at 05:25 PM ET

Dear Gord, this is turning into the Wedding Singer’s website.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 01/22/14 at 05:34 PM ET

@fromdowntown

Last time I offered up nyquist, kindl and sheahan and a 1st and everyone said I was stupid.

Posted by Pasha1277 on 01/22/14 at 05:40 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Posted by Garth on 01/22/14 at 05:08 PM ET

No wonder hes a popular guy in the locker room

Posted by Hootinani on 01/22/14 at 06:09 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Posted by Garth on 01/22/14 at 05:08 PM ET

That was Happy’s realm of expertise.

Posted by SK77 on 01/22/14 at 08:12 PM ET