Defending Columbus

from Bob Hunter of the Columbus Dispatch,

John Davidson watched four hockey reporters discuss various free agent signings on Canada’s TSN network on Friday. The Blue Jackets’ signing of Boston Bruins’ free agent forward Nathan Horton came up and the Jackets’ president of hockey operations blew a gasket.

“They asked about the good ones and the bad ones, and ( Toronto Sun columnist) Steve Simmons says ‘my bad one is Horton,’ ” Davidson said. “He says, ‘I don’t know why, it’s like going from the city to the woods.’ And the other guy who I don’t know says, ‘Yeah, it’s like going to Green Acres.’ Now is that ignorance or what? That’s just ignorance. I think it shows ignorance of what a great city this is. This is a good city. And it (ticks) me off.

“You can say things about the players on the team if we’ve not playing well, but when you come after the city, I’m not going to stand for it. I’ll come back at you like a freight train.”

Most longtime Columbus residents are used to this stupidity; I remember being on a flight from Los Angeles one time where the flight attendant announced, “For those of you connecting to Columbus, I’m truly sorry.” He was trying to be funny, I think, but it struck me as a combination of ignorance and arrogance.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Columbus Blue Jackets, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

NHLJeff's avatar

Great to see Davidson being openly passionate. Having been to a game in Columbus, it seems like a great place to play, and I’m sure the team’s profile in the city and league will grow as this new management team makes its mark.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 07/07/13 at 11:35 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Columbus deserves all the scorn and ridicule they get.  They’ve been a truly pathetic franchise their entire existence.  Win and shut some people up, otherwise Davidson himself can shut up.

If Davidson doesn’t like that or can’t handle it, maybe he isn’t the right guy for the job there…

I doubt Columbus survives though.  Few more years and they’re going to be a relocation target.  Maybe they finally go to Quebec after a Florida or New Jersey moves West.  And hockey is just… not on peoples’ minds there.  I don’t know that the Jackets have ever raised the sport’s profile in the state.  I think the Monsters, Walleye, and Cyclones have probably done more for that.

Posted by Primis on 07/07/13 at 12:07 PM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

Primis, things have improved since Davidson’s arrival, and he was defending the city moreso than the franchise. The hockey MSM really dogs on Columbus as a place to play just because they haven’t been good on the ice and haven’t filled the stands. It’s not fair to take that out on what is clearly a nice city to live in that these media members don’t really know anything about.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 07/07/13 at 01:47 PM ET

To be completely honest, I am surprised more players don’t opt for less frenzied environments in which to play. The media scrutiny in places like Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto, Boston, etc. is ridiculous. Columbus might not be my first choice (Raleigh, Dallas seem like great places to live and play to me), though I guess it finally looks like they are building toward something more than they ever have.

That said, I think the interesting debate is whether Toronto will rue the Clarkson contract faster that the Jackets will rue this Horton deal.

Posted by YouppiKiYay on 07/07/13 at 03:11 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

As a Detroit fan, I can’t really get behind any mocking of a city as a shot at its hockey team.  That’s just creatively bankrupt low-hanging fruit.  Complete hackishness.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 07/07/13 at 06:05 PM ET

HockeyFanOhio's avatar

Columbus is a great city.  It is one of the largest in the nation, just ahead of San Fran if I remember correctly, has some great neighborhoods, restaurants (and some good ethnic food) and decent night life.  So taking a shot at the city is ignorant.  Now the Jackets haven’t had the best on ice product and no one can argue with that.  But with the re-signing of Babrovsky, adding Horton and other moves they have made lately and the Jackets have put themselves into a position to change that.

Posted by HockeyFanOhio from Central Ohio on 07/07/13 at 07:39 PM ET