gebze evden eve nakliyat
Kukla's Korner Hockey - Kukla's Korner

Decision Time Coming For Artemi Panarin Who Has UFA Status On July 1st

from Jared Clinton of The Hockey News,

On one hand, Panarin could remain without a contract come the deadline and the Blue Jackets could choose to keep him in the fold. He is, after all, their best chance at producing the offense necessary to make a deep playoff run and one-third of the team’s top line. With Panarin, Columbus can make noise. Without him, their Stanley Cup odds likely decline by a not-insignificant percentage. Keeping him, however, is a gamble. Doing so would be to risk losing him for nothing, save maybe a low-round pick if he’s traded following the post-season but ahead of July 1, and recouping not even a single asset for the team’s most talented offensive forward should he feel there are greener pastures and sign as a free agent elsewhere next summer.

The only way for the Blue Jackets to guarantee they avoid such a scenario with an unsigned Panarin, though, would be to either throw enough money at him that he’s persuaded to stay in Columbus or, as unfathomable as it seems, move him at or ahead of the trade deadline in order to net a worthwhile return. Contenders, especially top contenders looking for scoring, would undoubtedly relish the opportunity to land a player such as Panarin, paying a high price to do so. That could mean high picks, talented prospects and possibly even mid-range roster players come back Columbus’ way as a return. It would give the Blue Jackets tangible payment for Panarin instead of the more nebulous promise of spending room that can be exercised to add talent in his stead.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Columbus Blue Jackets, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: artemi+panarin

Comments

Paul's avatar

Unless the Blue Jackets receive an substantial offer for him, they should just keep him for the playoffs, then trade him to a team for his rights before the UFA period.

Without him in the lineup, Columbus chances for the Cup decrease in a big way.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/02/19 at 11:57 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I know he increases their chances, but I just don’t see CBJ going deep in the playoffs no matter what.  They never want to “quit” on their chances when they are still in it, but realistically…a Cup is not coming to Colombus.

Posted by TreKronor on 01/02/19 at 03:20 PM ET

Mr. Fnytelhatt's avatar

realistically…a Cup is not coming to Colombus.

Posted by TreKronor on 01/02/19 at 02:20 PM ET

On the other hand, some extra playoff revenue might. And possibly, that would be a significant matter to a smaller-market team like Columbus.

I just never understand why there are question marks in cases like this, concerning whether a player wants to stay or not. It would seem to be such a vital piece of information for their employer, crucial for deciding the strategy that will be best for the team, going forward. What are the players actually waiting for, divine guidance? Or is it just negotiating tactics? It would seem that if a player is set on leaving and isn’t all that concerned whether his current team gains any assets for him while they still can, it would take a particularly oblivious GM and organization not to be aware of it. There’s gotta be some manner of communication.

It’s hard to know what’s actually going on behind the scenes, but if I was a GM, I would never accept having to take the whole risk; I would set a deadline for the player to make up their mind/get their asses in gear and accept a contract some time before the deadline, and ship all indecisive UFAs by express post to the highest bidder.

Posted by Mr. Fnytelhatt on 01/02/19 at 07:32 PM ET

What are the players actually waiting for, divine guidance?

Why are you pretending that they haven’t been clear about their intentions? From the get-go both Bobrovsky and Panarin have said they aren’t going to decide where they’re playing next year until they explore the market.

Period.

if I was a GM, I would never accept having to take the whole risk

Well, I guess that’s too bad, because Bobrovsky has a full NMC so the GM has to take the whole risk. He doesn’t have a choice. If Bobrovsky wants to play out this year in Columbus and sign anywhere else on July 1st, he has the right to do that.

Kekaleinen signed Bobrovsky to a deal with an NMC and he has to deal with that. Likewise he traded for a guy who didn’t (necessarily) want to leave Chicago, so he’s going to have to deal with Panarin making up his mind too.

And for a guy with a full no-move clause like Bobrovsky, do you think that would work or do you think he could completely ignore your deadline and leave you with absolutely no recourse?

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 01/03/19 at 01:22 PM ET

Mr. Fnytelhatt's avatar

Bla bla bla a lot of horse apples about Bobrovsky who isn’t even mentioned in either the blog post or my post and has a NTC unlike Panarin
Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 01/03/19 at 12:22 PM ET

You are always and without exception a tiresome, combative, bickering *#$%@&, Char. No need for this snideness, my dear chap. However, I will readily admit that in this instance, as in some previous ones on this forum, you were, in addition to possessing the above described qualities, informative. Not only are you right (well, about Bobrovsky), the reasons you stated were also present for the other two cases I had in the back of my mind when I wrote my original post (i.e. Tavares and Stamkos) - I did take the trouble of looking it up.

In other words, I learned something today! Specifically, about GM:s and some particular quirks in the power balance between them and players under the current bargaining agreement. Also, that apparently without being bad at their jobs, GM:s make decisions that they come to regret. And perhaps, that other reasons (such as ownership, media and fan expectations) prevent them from minimizing risks in their asset management. Even though I feel that the point I was hoping to make, still stands. I.e. that Jarmo Kekäläinen should trade Panarin, and not keep him on and cross his fingers and hope for the best, as discussed as a viable option by Jared Clinton above.

So, thanks for making me more informed, I guess. It’s not necessarily an experience I would like to repeat under similar circumstances, so in the future I shall simply be thinking twice before hitting that “Submit” button. Everybody wins!

Posted by Mr. Fnytelhatt on 01/03/19 at 03:59 PM ET