Dear Lightning Fans

from Steve Yzerman at TampBayLightning.com,

It is with great respect and pride that I write to you today as the new Vice President and General Manager of your Tampa Bay Lightning. When offered this opportunity by owner Jeff Vinik to further my career, I carefully considered my options; looking for committed, solid ownership and an organization that would strive to be first class from top to bottom, through all facets of the business. In the end, I found Tampa Bay to be the perfect place for me. And I think you’ll find the Lightning to be worthy of your support as well.

It was not easy to leave the Detroit Red Wings after 27 years and four Stanley Cups as a player and an executive. The organization was built on loyalty, integrity and hard work, and our sustained success there proved the formula works. I want to bring a similar approach to Tampa Bay and I think we can achieve our goal of being a consistent winner on and off the ice.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Tampa Bay Lightning, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: steve+yzerman

Comments

I do not want to make any short term promises that we can not deliver, but I will pledge to you a methodical, strategic approach to developing a winner that you can be proud of for a long time.

- Steve Yzerman

Tampa Bay is in for one helluva ride.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 06/02/10 at 07:40 PM ET

Moq's avatar

Even though I believe that the Vinik/Yzerman combination offers the best hopes for re-establishing the Tampa Bay franchise as a winning franchise, I’m still a little hesitant about predicting fast and furious success. Regardless of his experiences and Detroit foundation, Yzerman steps into a role with a different day-to-day responsibility where mistakes are almost unavoidable. The speed of his learning process, realism of strategy, and quality of decision-making will determine how quickly the turnaround materializes.

A nice letter that doesn’t promise too much short term, which seems sensible.

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 06/02/10 at 08:07 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Dear Tampa Bay fans:

We are loaning you our Adopted Son. Enjoy. He’ll be coming back home someday.

Respectfully,

Hockeytown

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 06/02/10 at 08:27 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Something TB fans can understand: “This isn’t going to change overnight”.  That’s what the past two regimes had sold them.  AT least Yzerman is telling them the right things.

Honestly?  I think Steve builds long-term, he gets a long leash to do so by being up-front about it, and it pays longterm dividends.  TB fans better know that doesn’t necessarily mean a Cup, but reliably not being in the lottery most offseasons would certainly do wonders there.

Posted by Primis on 06/02/10 at 10:38 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Man, it’s just wierd still. Yeah yeah, I’ve accepted it, but anyway….
Stevie has alot of rope in his new position(s). He’s never been one to put a noose around his neck, me thinks he won’t start now.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 06/02/10 at 11:08 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I wish him lots of Eastern Conference championships!

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 06/02/10 at 11:38 PM ET