Datsyuk Says He Will Play In Opening Game

via Pierre LeBrun of ESPN,

Star center Pavel Datsyuk practiced for the first time Tuesday with Russia and proclaimed himself fit to start the tournament.

"Excellent," the Detroit Red Wings star center told reporters when asked how he was feeling after missing Monday's opening practice.

Then asked on his injury which kept him out about a month with Detroit, he said: "What injury?"...

"Yes. I'll play in the first game," said Datsyuk, who skated Tuesday between Alexander Radulov and Ilya Kovalchuk.

It's clear there's no way Datsyuk would miss a chance to play for Russia in a home Olympics, saying he's been preparing for it "all of my life."

"It's a good feeling," added Datsyuk. "Now, to come back and play in a home Olympics in front of your fans. It's an unbelievable feeling."

Filed in: Non-NHL Hockey, International Hockey, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: pavel+datsyuk, sochi+olympics, team+russia

Comments

Paul's avatar

via Chris Johnston of Sportsnet on a story about Datsyuk,

“Pavel is a proud Russian who has come home to win a medal for his country and he’s going to do everything he can to do that,” said Babcock. “He’s been injured, but he’s on his way back from injury. I think obvious there’s some opportunity here with the way the tournament’s set up for him to spend more time to get feeling better.”

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/11/14 at 07:18 AM ET

“Babcock is not my concern right now.”

It’s on.  I love it.  Go Pav!  Drop the puck.

Posted by jkm2011 on 02/11/14 at 10:01 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Henrik Zetterberg on Datsyuk’s health: “Obviously I’m worried that he’s not 100% when he comes back and plays for Detroit. That’s my worry.”

via Jonas Siegel tweet.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/11/14 at 10:05 AM ET

shanetx's avatar

I can’t wait for all the anti-Babcock crowd to leap to take this as proof there’s a disconnect between Babs and the rest of the Wings.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 02/11/14 at 10:06 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Theres a disconnect between babs and pav!

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 02/11/14 at 10:50 AM ET

I’ve been waiting a while, not really waiting as much as avoiding this comment I’m about to make but, I work with someone who personally knows and talks with holmstrom every Tuesday night. apparently from what homer says and knows in the locker room is that the guys really don’t like babcock. A lot of the younger guys hate him so he says. Now, I’m not sure how true it is or whatever but It’s something to think about. Who knows if babs will coach the wings next year.

Posted by Pasha1277 on 02/11/14 at 11:02 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

And that’s my worry as well. National pride is a wonderful thing, but Pavel is being paid $6.7M this year to play for the Detroit Red Wings. And his statement that Babcock is not his concern right now is just one of the things that’s wrong with NHL players participating in the Olympics.

I love Pavel as much as anyone here. And I respect his integrity as a human being. But if he is playing “injured” (and thereby risking an even greater injury), I think he’s dead wrong where his decision to play is concerned.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 02/11/14 at 11:10 AM ET

redxblack's avatar
“Babcock is not my concern right now.”

Alternate translation: Go tell Uncle Mike to go home and get his shinebox.

I’m not serious, but it is fun to watch both coach and player pull punches for this temporary series. They can’t fully flame, but the head games are there.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 02/11/14 at 12:08 PM ET

EDJ's avatar

...apparently from what homer says and knows in the locker room is that the guys really don’t like babcock. A lot of the younger guys hate him so he says.

I don’t think that’s all that important as long as he makes the team better. It’d be great if they liked him and made the team better, but it’s not necessary, And I don’t remember many people from last time’s Team Canada saying anything bad about Babcock, and his fellow coaches raved about him. It also looks to me like Babcock and Holland are pretty much on the same page, so I doubt he’s going anywhere unless the Red Wings have some kind of spectacular collapse, which is also doubtful.

I agree that it something to monitor but I don’t see anything blowing up any time soon.

Posted by EDJ on 02/11/14 at 12:31 PM ET

silversailer's avatar

This is why I love Olympic Hockey!! Friends one day, combatants the next!!

And he’s right. Babs is no concern for Pavs right now, and Pavs shouldn’t be a concern of Babs until after the tournament. Could you imagine the uproar from Canadians if Babs was telling his players to take it soft on Pavs so he doesn’t get hurt? Not Gonna Happen!

All the players and all the coaches are here for one reason, to win the tournament.

Posted by silversailer on 02/11/14 at 01:10 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Again…all this is Meh.

Of course Babs and Z are worried about Pav not being 100%, especially when they come back to the D…

However none of them are stopping him, are they? Aren’t they being supportive? And what about Z? Is he 100%? I doubt any of them give half the shti some of us do.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 02/11/14 at 01:14 PM ET

Posted by Pasha1277 on 02/11/14 at 10:02 AM ET

Yeah, sure.

Posted by Garth on 02/11/14 at 01:29 PM ET

However none of them are stopping him, are they?

None of them can stop him.

Posted by Garth on 02/11/14 at 01:30 PM ET

Garth, extremely vague lol… I agree with EDJ on my comment earlier. I don’t think it’s really a big deal but you talk about coaches being a “players coach” and people being like torts where the team can’t stand the coach. I think babs will coach the wings for a while longer. I’m excited for next year tbh, higher cap, dead weight gone, kids are better. the season can only get better imho.

Posted by Pasha1277 on 02/11/14 at 02:34 PM ET

Here’s to hoping cooler heads prevail after the Olympics. If he gets hurt…er…more hurt and there’s some conflict I wouldnt want him to say screw it and go the Kovie route…not that anything points in that direction except his interesting comments the last couple weeks. I wish winning a cup was #1 but you cant change the way people feel.

Posted by brians neck on 02/11/14 at 02:52 PM ET

None of the Habs loved Bowman, but when they won, just for that day, they all loved him.  Otherwise, they still hated his guts.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 02/11/14 at 03:11 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Players aren’t going to like the head coaches often - no biggie.

The assistant coachers tend to be the “players’ coach” who the players like.

Babcock mentioned something like this in an interview a few weeks ago: “I love the players as people, but I don’t get paid to judge them as people.  My job is to make us a better team.”

Posted by TreKronor on 02/11/14 at 03:30 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

The assistant coachers tend to be the “players’ coach” who the players like.

That must be why they brought in Renney, because he hasn’t done jack for their power play

Posted by Hootinani on 02/11/14 at 05:30 PM ET