Dater Updates Roy’s Coaching Status With Avs

via Adrian Dater of All Things Avs,

Time will tell if Patrick Roy’s brother jumped the gun a little — or a lot, like all the way over — on his proclamation to me on the phone and on his own Facebook page that Patrick will be the next coach of the Avalanche.

The Avs this morning are saying there is no deal in place. That’s about all they’re saying so far. So, we wait and see what happens. As my story last night said, the Avs would not confirm Stephane Roy’s assertion and that remains the case.

My belief: the Avs and Roy are in negotiations on a possible deal. But until a deal is done, it’s not. This still may not happen at all. We just have to wait. Roy wanted a lot of money in 2009 to be the coach – my reporting said he wanted a four-year deal at $3 million per, while the Avs offered four years at $1.75 million per.

I can’t imagine Roy asking for any less than that now. And for an NHL coach, that’s a LOT of money. So, it’s possible money – as it often does – could derail this thing. We shall see.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Colorado Avalanche, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: patrick+roy

Comments

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I hope he does so we can watch him melt-down behind the bench like he used to in the crease.  Those were epic.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/21/13 at 11:14 AM ET

Savage Henry's avatar

If he’s worth $3M per year to coach, Babcock is worth $12M.

Posted by Savage Henry on 05/21/13 at 11:18 AM ET

Savage Henry's avatar

Unless maybe he also serves as backup goalie.

Posted by Savage Henry on 05/21/13 at 11:18 AM ET

igrover's avatar

Bring it on Dives.  You know you want to make of fool of yourselves again, so let’s get this monkey off of your back.

Posted by igrover on 05/21/13 at 11:26 AM ET

Savage Henry's avatar

I hope he hires Lemeiux and Marc Crawford to be his assistants.  It can be like Douchebags on Ice!

Posted by Savage Henry on 05/21/13 at 11:28 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by Savage Henry on 05/21/13 at 11:28 AM ET

LOL

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 05/21/13 at 11:36 AM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Damn, too bad the Wings won’t be in the Western Conference any more to kick him and the Dive around 4-6 times a year.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/21/13 at 11:37 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 05/21/13 at 11:37 AM ET

This.  I’m almost sorry we’re leaving the West.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 05/21/13 at 12:03 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

I feel so sorry for Gabriel Landeskog and Seth Jones.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 05/21/13 at 12:06 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 05/21/13 at 12:06 PM ET

PREACH.

Landeskog’s one of my fav players that’s not a Wing, but his team is SOOOO douche, holy shit.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/21/13 at 12:12 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Hey, if the Avs don’t land him, Stevie needs a coach down in Tampa, right?  HA!

Posted by TreKronor on 05/21/13 at 12:31 PM ET

Hey, if the Avs don’t land him, Stevie needs a coach down in Tampa, right?  HA!

Posted by TreKronor on 05/21/13 at 12:31 PM ET

Stevie hired his coach from the AHL Norfolk - the highly regarded Jon Cooper.  He replaced Guy Boucher.  EVERYBODY who had a coaching vacancy wanted him.

Everyone in Denver will need to hide their toasters.  And fast.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/21/13 at 01:08 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Thanks SYF - my memory is going!  I’m looking forward to see what he does down there.

Posted by TreKronor on 05/21/13 at 01:27 PM ET

Hmm, I guess premature celebration runs in the Roy family…

Posted by Garth on 05/21/13 at 01:32 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Garth wins.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 05/21/13 at 01:33 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Someone’s lying… from Dater at All Things Avs,

Stephane Roy has since given an interview to a TV station in Montreal saying that quotes taken from my interview with him – where he essentially said the same thing to me as on the Facebook posting – were “exaggerated” and “sensationalized.”

Well, all I will say is I stand behind the quotes in my story 100 percent. A little background on what happened:

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/21/13 at 06:23 PM ET

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/21/13 at 06:23 PM ET

Don’t touch my dreams with your dirty hands.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 05/21/13 at 06:53 PM ET