Crosby’s smile on display in the Eastern Conference Final, and it ain’t pretty

The Globe and Mail's James Mirtle reports that Pittsburgh Penguins captain Sidney Crosby, who will face the Boston Bruins without protection for his still-healing broken jaw, suffered an absolutely brutally vicious injury when he blocked Brooks Orpik's shot with his teeth, and he's going to face much more off-season dental work to restore his smile:

Roughly 10 of his teeth were affected, some irreparably, as the force from the puck would have pushed them through some of the supporting bone structure and severed the neurovascular pulp supply, which is a tooth’s connection to the nerves and blood supply in the mouth. Two teeth even went back so forcefully they damaged the inside of his mouth around his tongue.

The impact broke his jaw, which forced surgeons to cut an opening inside his mouth and use screws to fasten two small titanium plates to the bone to help it heal.

It’s an injury many NHL players consider the worst they have had.

“I can honestly say that was the most traumatic injury that I’ve gone through,” said Ottawa Senators defenceman Marc Methot, who suffered a more serious break late last season when a puck hit him next to his ear. “You can’t socialize with anybody. You can’t eat anything. You’re really segregated from the team, and you can’t go out in public. It’s not fun.”

Continued

Filed in: | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

awould's avatar

Pittsburgh had zero overtime losses all season. That’s crazy. FYI.

On a side note, who cares about Crosbys teeth?

Posted by awould on 05/31/13 at 02:18 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

One step up from the “pillowy lips” article.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/31/13 at 09:51 AM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

awould, as a Pens fan, I am curious about his injury and recovery (which includes info on his teeth).  You can skip this one next time if you don’t care.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 05/31/13 at 01:54 PM ET

awould's avatar

Excellent advice, NHLJeff! I appreciate your thoughtful suggestion. I intend to keep that in mind the next time, or I may try to be more obvious in attempting light humor to ensure the humorless don’t miss out. Either way, this was a fruitful dialogue and I look forward to further discussions. Now, I must run off as I have a conference call to prepare for to discuss how much starch my suit needs. Huzzah.

Posted by awould on 05/31/13 at 02:03 PM ET

OMG, a would, that was hilarious when you said that funny joke about asking who cares about Crosby’s jaw lol

Posted by Garth on 05/31/13 at 06:29 PM ET

awould's avatar

Thanks Garth. Like everyone around here, your sarcastic criticism is all I seek and, coincidentally, all you offer. It’s a symbiotic relationship, kind of like a parasite.

Posted by awould on 05/31/13 at 06:36 PM ET

awould's avatar

Oh yeah, LOL.

Posted by awould on 05/31/13 at 06:38 PM ET

Man, the jokes just keep coming fast and furious.  I hope Carlos Mencia isn’t reading, cuz he’s going to steal all your incredibly hilarious jokes.  “Who cares about Crosby’s teeth?”  Bwaaaaaahahahahahahahaha!

Posted by Garth on 06/01/13 at 10:49 AM ET