Crosby on the Mend

From Sean Gordon at the Globe & Mail:

“Mentally, I feel good, the last three weeks it’s the best I’ve felt so far . . . it’s been a tough road, but retirement? No,” said Crosby, who reportedly had a brisk practice skate at the Consol Energy Centre before the news conference.

Crosby said he’s felt very close to being himself at various points in his recovery, but 90 per cent is not close enough to return.

“I’m not going to roll the dice . . . it’s important to get back to where I need to be and if not, we’ve seen it many times, you can get recurring issues,” Crosby said.

“You’ve got to listen to your body, you’ve to got listen to your doctors,” he added.

Asked by a reporter whether he’s been thinking about the possibility he may never be able to play again, Crosby smiled and said “it’s a pretty slight one.”

read on

Filed in: | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: press+conference, sidney+crosby

Comments

Guilherme's avatar

Oh, how great he is healthy. Health is the most important thing in the world, right?

[/sarcasm]

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 09/07/11 at 03:05 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

I might be obligated to think he’s a weenie since I’m a Wings fan, but this is good news for Crosby the human being. It’s good to hear something positive on this story, and more so, just something to end all of the speculation, for a minute or two at least. smile

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 09/07/11 at 03:37 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

Definitely some positive news. Sadly, it won’t stop some schmuck from starting a rumor in time.

Posted by cs6687 on 09/07/11 at 03:41 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 09/07/11 at 03:46 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

The Ferrari will be back- bet on it!

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 09/07/11 at 03:47 PM ET

I don’t care about Sydney Crosby, even on a day when 43 hockey players and coaches did not die in a plane crash. “
Posted by MsRedWinger from Florida, wishin’ I was back in the Mitten on 09/07/11 at 01:46 PM ET

So you’re saying that plane in Russia didn’t crash? A conspiracy? That’s absolutely sick.

Posted by NathanBC on 09/07/11 at 03:50 PM ET

The haters are out in force today, it seems.

Glad Crosby is making progress and all is well. The league would do well to learn from this particular incident and try to lessen the instance of concussions league wide.

Posted by Iggy Rules on 09/07/11 at 03:54 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Posted by NathanBC on 09/07/11 at 01:50 PM ET

No Nathan, I was saying I don’t care about Crosby even on days when there is nothing else going on.

But I was also trying to suggest that perhaps Crosby should have canceled his press conference in light of what happened.

Guess you didn’t get it.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 09/07/11 at 03:59 PM ET

As I responded in the press conference story, leave it to Wings fans to use the Russian tragedy to complain about Crosby and the Pens. Gotta have some sort of angle to bitch about. You all need to get a life. We are all deeply saddened over the tragedy, but life does go on. What would cancelling the press conference get you?

Posted by VAHockeyFan on 09/07/11 at 04:05 PM ET

Guess you didn’t get it.
Posted by MsRedWinger from Florida, wishin’ I was back in the Mitten on 09/07/11 at 01:59 PM ET

No, I didn’t.

Cancelling the press conference:
-Ray Shero expressed the Penguins’ sadness and concern for those involved
-media from around North America in town
-two brain specialists that have other patients from around North America coming to see them
-Crosby with commitments in New York tomorrow
-plane crash news came out about 4 hours before the conference

Posted by NathanBC on 09/07/11 at 04:11 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

What would cancelling the press conference get you?

Nothing.

Except that, when the presser happened, a lof of facts weren’t clear yet. At that time, we didn’t know whether Salei was alive or not, and all my twitter feed has was “It’s likely that I’ll play”.

I’m sorry, but a former player of my team, a guy who had a kid 6 months ago, could be dead and no one knew, and I care about that a lot more than if a 20-something will play in October or December (and it’s not like the presser brought anything new).

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 09/07/11 at 04:20 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

-Ray Shero expressed the Penguins’ sadness and concern for those involved

How very nice of him.

-media from around North America in town
-Crosby with commitments in New York tomorrow

Obviously more important than whether Ruslan Salei was alive or dead.

-plane crash news came out about 4 hours before the conference

Exactly.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 09/07/11 at 04:40 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

Red Wings fans are a special bunch. There isn’t a short bus long enough for all of them.

Posted by cs6687 on 09/07/11 at 04:44 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

Obviously more important than whether Ruslan Salei was alive or dead.

Nice of you to single out one of more than 40 people involved. Oh, but he was a former Wang. I get it.

Posted by cs6687 on 09/07/11 at 04:45 PM ET

I’m sorry, but a former player of my team, a guy who had a kid 6 months ago, could be dead and no one knew, and I care about that a lot more than if a 20-something will play in October or December.
Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 09/07/11 at 02:20 PM ET

So you don’t care about what the press conference had to say.

At that time, we didn’t know whether Salei was alive or not, and all my twitter feed has was “It’s likely that I’ll play”.”

The Russian media didn’t stop, and surprisingly enough, that’s where the news about the crash is coming from.

”...(and it’s not like the presser brought anything new).”
Actually it did, listen to what the doctors said, there’s a lot of important information about brains and brain injuries in there. It clears a lot up about concussions and different methods of rehabilitation. When the media says “We know so little about concussions,” they’re correct, but that doesn’t include the doctors as evidenced by the information at this press conference.

We also know more about what’s been going on with Crosby the past seven months. That’s something I want to hear about regarding a player on my favourite team. So that trumps what you care about obviously.

Posted by NathanBC on 09/07/11 at 04:46 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Nice of you to single out one of more than 40 people involved.

Your friend tells you he’s flying to Florida on Saturday, and a plane crashes in Florida on Saturday.

I’m sure you won’t be anxious for news, right?

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 09/07/11 at 04:48 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

I’m sure you won’t be anxious for news, right?

I would, but it doesn’t mean the world stops for everyone else.

Posted by cs6687 on 09/07/11 at 04:49 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

So that trumps what you care about obviously.

I’m sorry to disagree, but I care more about anybody’s life that with his career.

Ok, agre to disagree, it’s a sad day for hockey and a “something” day for Penguin fans.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 09/07/11 at 04:51 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by cs6687 on 09/07/11 at 02:44 PM ET

Hey, I don’t think my comments were unfair at all…

And I’m not touching what anyone else is saying in this thread with a ten foot pole, Wings fans or otherwise, so take that for what it’s worth, I’m sure you can read between the lines.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 09/07/11 at 04:53 PM ET

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 09/07/11 at 02:48 PM ET

Are you personal friends with Salei? Call up his family if you’re so close to him that you can’t wait for a proper news report to be made.

I’m sorry, but a former player of my team…”
Or did he just happen to play on your team and you saw him in the hallways at the arena on your way up to your office?

Posted by NathanBC on 09/07/11 at 04:54 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

I would, but it doesn’t mean the world stops for everyone else.

Ok, I see. If it was me doing the presser, it’d be postponed, for me it’s just insensitive doing it.

But whatever, it doesn’t change what happened.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 09/07/11 at 04:56 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

Guilherme, you’re grasping at straws. The Penguins offered condolences at the beginning. There will be probably be a moment of silence from every team. It’s just something for the Penguins-haters and Crosby-haters to complain about.

Posted by cs6687 on 09/07/11 at 05:00 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Posted by NathanBC on 09/07/11 at 02:54 PM ET

damn, I try to be calm with everyone but some folks are nuts…

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 09/07/11 at 05:01 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

That’s where you get things wrong, assuming it’s Crosby-hatred. Maybe for some, but not me.

If it were a Datsyuk or Helm or Howard statement, I’d think it’s disrespectful anyway.

(people, let it go!)

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 09/07/11 at 05:03 PM ET

You either didn’t get what I meant (which means you’re stupid) or you’re pretending you didn’t get (which makes you stupid). Which one?”
“Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 09/07/11 at 03:01 PM ET

Neither, I was taking the words you chose literally.

”...stupid…”

Finally, we’re in agreement.

Posted by NathanBC on 09/07/11 at 05:07 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

Guilherme, the Canucks announced they signed some players to tryout contracts. Are you going to go complain about that now?

Posted by cs6687 on 09/07/11 at 05:08 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Didn’t know that. D’ya know “agree to disagree”? Ok, you have your opinion, I have mine. Let it go.

(and VAN’s annoucement is more meaningful than Crosby’s)

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 09/07/11 at 05:12 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Neither, I was taking the words you chose literally.

Then you didn’t get it.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 09/07/11 at 05:13 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

To clarify: I don’t think it was sensitive to go on with the presser, and gave up trying to change others’ opinions.

I know it wasn’t postponed because a lot of important people were there, but still don’t understand why they were there. I mean, pre-presser we didn’t know whether he’d play in October or December, and post-presser we still don’t. Nothing new came out of it.

Meanwhile, I prefer to know about one’s life (be a Red Wing, Penguin or Panther) than one’s career. That’s it.

You don’t? Good for you. It doesn’t matter anyway. 40 lives are gone no matter what.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 09/07/11 at 05:22 PM ET

Russian Rocket's avatar

but still don’t understand why they were there.

Not trying to argue about the timing of this presser, but just pointing out the significance.  They were there because media members have been asking (in some cases demanding) a straight answer from Sid himself regarding his condition and his future playing status.

One can argue it was necessary to put an end to the rumours, lies, and speculation about his overall well being and career.  Most people with a level head knew he would play again. When? we don’t know. Will he be the same player? we don’t know.  But the motives here were vastly media driven.

Posted by Russian Rocket on 09/07/11 at 05:57 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

& cancelling the PC was going to bring those 40+ lives back Guilherme

Boy Sid is more Powerful than even I though He is Jesus Christ ! he can bring people back to Life!

Or at least Make Wings Fans into a bunch of Blithering Idiots

Posted by Evilpens on 09/07/11 at 06:03 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Or at least Make Wings Fans into a bunch of Blithering Idiots Posted by Evilpens on 09/07/11 at 04:03 PM ET

Mr. Kettle… I’d like you to meet Mr. Black.

Posted by calquake on 09/07/11 at 06:55 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Ah yes, the Pens fans calling the Wings fans unclassy, and likewise in return. If the tables were turned, we’d both be the same way, so why don’t everyone call it a day, STFU, have a drink, and enjoy what’s left of the summer…or in SoCal’s case, bake some bacon on my deck.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 09/07/11 at 06:58 PM ET

“40 lives are gone no matter what. “

& cancelling the PC was going to bring those 40+ lives back Guilherme

Your reading’s as good as your writing.

Posted by Herm from my girlfriend's on 09/07/11 at 07:10 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

Hey, I don’t think my comments were unfair at all…

Nathan, what you said wasn’t unfair. I was out of line for the short bus remark. But it’s just ridiculous how some people - in this case, Guilerme - are. That is, trying to make Crosby a villain or make him look selfish for not postponing his press conference.

What happened in Russia today is a tragedy. It sucks. Nobody wants to see that. But a good number of writers descended on Pittsburgh since yesterday to hear Sid speak for the first time since April. If he postpones it, fans and members of the idiot media would be criticizing him.

The guy really is in a no-win situation for the remainder of his career. He’s a class act all the way through, but will always be a whiner, diver, etc. The dislike of Crosby is ridiculous. I can understand the abhorance of a guy like Matt Cooke, but not Crosby. But that’s a topic for another time.

Posted by cs6687 on 09/07/11 at 08:00 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by cs6687 on 09/07/11 at 06:00 PM ET

I don’t disagree with you at all.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 09/08/11 at 03:31 PM ET