Crosby gets scrappy

Updated at 1:07 AM on Sunday, November 27th: Per the Canadian Press, Sidney Crosby took some flak for engaging in a little tussle with Ottawa Senators forward Nick Foligno on Friday night:

Crosby mixed it up with Ottawa’s Nick Foligno early in the third period, the start of a brief dust-up in which Crosby and Foligno exchanged cross-checks, before the Penguins star elbowed Foligno in the head. Both players earned minor penalties—Crosby for elbowing, Foligno for roughing—and Foligno took exception with Crosby hitting him up high to clear space in front of goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury.

“It’s not a big deal, but it is something that he preached all summer about that we should limit that and then he goes and does it, so I was just a little disappointed,” Foligno said. “But, you know, that’s a small part of the game and it’s over now.”

TSN posted a pair of videos of the incident, but given the level of mania surrounding his return, I’m surprised that this is the only YouTube clip I could find:

Even as one of those over-critical Red Wings fans…I’ve seen worse…

Update: I’m not gonna make a new post for this, but here’s what TSN found Crosby had to say about the incident:

“I don’t what he’s talking about. I was preaching about the hits like [Max Pacioretty’s hit on Kris Letang] tonight, not a scrum,” explained Crosby. “I don’t know what he expects after he runs a goalie three times. He’s probably lucky it was me that was handling it and not someone else. I think if he’s going to do that, he should be ready to expect a response.”

Friday’s incident began when Foligno fell over Penguins goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury in the third period. Crosby responded by cross-checking the Senators forward twice. Foligno answered back with a cross-check of his own before Crosby delivered an elbow to the head of Foligno.  At that point, Penguins forward Chris Kunitz jumped in and a scrum ensued.

“It’s not a big deal, but it is something that he preached all summer about that we should limit that and then he goes and does it, so I was just a little disappointed,” Foligno said Friday. “But, you know, that’s a small part of the game and it’s over now.”

Crosby was assessed a two-minute elbowing penalty on the play while Foligno received a roughing minor.

“I think he’s blowing it totally out of proportion,” stated Crosby. “Two nights before that I go into a scrum and I get punched in the head. I accept that. I’m going into a scrum that’s part of playing the game.”

Continued

Filed in: | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

LiteWork's avatar

Sid did what a good captain does. I know the blind hate from most of this site can’t see it or refuse to admit it, but Crosby was defending his goaltender. That instance was the second time Foligno fell on Fleury last night. Foligno obviously didn’t get the message the first time. Anybody who’s every played hockey will tell you that if a player initiates or gets involved with the goaltender, he’s asking for trouble. Crosby defended his goaltender. There’s more than one way of being a good captain, and not the cookie-cutter image Detroit fans have in their heads from Yzerman and Lidstrom. Mark Messier wasn’t the quietest captain, but his leadership style was effective. Crosby’s a very good captain. His teammates have vouched for that many times. If anybody wants an example of a bad captain, there’s this guy in Washington who wears number 8.

Posted by cs6687 on 11/26/11 at 06:52 PM ET

So after he elbowed Foligno he ran away like the little baby he is, while Kunitz and others stepped in for him. A good captain stands up for himself.

Also who cares if his teammates vouch for him. Name me one nhl team that doesnt publicly support their captain.

Posted by LiteWork on 11/26/11 at 10:00 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Rick Nash is a much worse captain than Ovechkin.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/26/11 at 10:04 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by cs6687 on 11/26/11 at 06:52 PM ET

Once again, a Pens fan has to frame the discussion in Det/Pitt terms.  Can we drop this as the go-to on your all’s end of this discussion?

If Crosby had such a problem with it he could have dropped the gloves, or at the very least the Pens bench could have sent Engelland straighten Foligno out.  Sid just played ten months as the NHL’s poster child to stop head shots, its pretty lame of him to go out and do exactly what he preached against.  There are several ways to deal with Foligno in that situation without popping him in the face with a forearm or an elbow.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 11/26/11 at 10:06 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

Kunitz stepped in. I don’t see where Sid ran away.

Posted by cs6687 on 11/26/11 at 11:00 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

I’ll stop doing it when one of the first responses to a Crosby incident isn’t something like…

Just another reminder of the massive canyon-sized gap between the Red Wings’ captain and the Pens’.

If you need to make mountains out of moleholes with Crosby to validate Lidstrom’s captaincy, that’s your problem.

Posted by cs6687 on 11/26/11 at 11:07 PM ET

For what it’s worth, I think elbowing Barrett Jackman in the head should be legal.

And this is exactly why I don’t give a shit what happened to Foligno last night, (as nothing serious came of it course).  He took a run at Sullivan right away and then bowled Fleury over twice.  He’s gonna take some punishment if that’s how he wants to play and if we need to single out Crosby for his part in retaliating so be it, but just as you have little sympathy for Jackman the same could have been said for Foligno’s game last night with those antics.

HOWEVER, Sid at the very least should have an awareness of the way he is perceived and take care not to feed the flames.  You can point to Howe and Lindsay, and you’re not wrong for doing so, but that doesn’t change anything about Sid’s reputation.  Sid would do himself and his organization a big favor if he didn’t preach one thing off the ice and do another on the ice.  All it does is feed the “double standard” that the fans see.  It may not be fair to pass everything Sid does through that filter, but thats just reality and he needs to bear that in mind if he wants his reputation to improve.

I can’t disagree with the sentiment of this message at all Bezukhov but I just think the level of severity is overblown.  I have no qualms with hating the guy for being good or whatever illegitimate reasons we hold as fans, but it’s the jump to him somehow being a black eye for the league that I don’t agree with in the slightest.

Honestly the whole whining thing isn’t as bothersome to me about Crosby as much as his penchant for slashing a guy when things don’t go his way.  Two years ago he led the league in slashing minors, and for a superstar scoring center that’s pathetic in my mind.  That said though I’m not sure how he’s doing anything disingenuous or hypocritical by going after Foligno.  To your point also, Engelland did go after him a few times.  Foligno just had one of those games where he pissed off the entire opposing team and they weren’t gonna just ignore it.  Kunitz gave a shot in the back as he was stepping onto the bench too, if that was Crosby who did it my god the internet might explode.  It’s like JJ said, Crosby’s just under the microscope whether that’s right or wrong and I just don’t see this incident as all that inflammatory.  I mean even Malik conceded it wasn’t all that special for a battle in front of the net and I’m not sure he was aware of the extracurricular that fueled the incident.

Honestly as a fan of the team you have to like seeing him playing with that fire and fearlessness already.  A few nights ago Backes knocked his helmet off and Crosby stayed there trading punches before both teams swarmed in.  It’s easy to say a player with concussion injuries should never come close to touching another player’s head but honestly in the context of that game it really wasn’t too surprising it unfolded the way it did.

Posted by JBM on 11/27/11 at 12:28 AM ET

Crosby should be wearing a B for bitch instead of a C on his jersey. Crosby was always a cry baby and I am sure he went through 100 boxes of tissue for all the crying he did while he wasrecoving last season. But for a player to raise his elbow and go for a hit hit in the head, I guess he cant bitch no more.  What he did was a bitch move. For the record Nick Foligno is a bitch too.  I hope ppl start to head hunt Crosby. He needs his head rattled agine to find out how it feels agine. He is the NHL poster boy for double standards.

Posted by Xaphan on 11/27/11 at 01:13 AM ET

cs6687's avatar

Crosby on Foligno: “I don’t know what he’s talking about. I was preaching about the hits like the one we saw here tonight.” (Letang’s hit from Pacioretty).

“He (Foligno) runs the goalie three times and doesn’t expect to get what he got? I went in to a scrum and I got punched in the head, you accept that.”

The guy is plenty worthy of the C. End of discussion.

Posted by cs6687 on 11/27/11 at 01:26 AM ET

Posted by cs6687 on 11/26/11 at 10:26 PM ET

Oh come on.  How dare you say that here!  No player ever goes after another player when they run the goalie!

Of course, had Crosby done nothing, there would be complaints as well.  Not that it matters, but he can’t win in some people’s eyes.  No video of Letang getting Booth’d/Savard’d yet…. What a shock…

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 11/27/11 at 02:20 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by cs6687 on 11/26/11 at 10:26 PM ET

Hey cs,

We aren’t going to agree here in all likelihood, but this discussion has happened a couple times in the past week.  I just wanted to say kudos for being able to discuss this maturely.  A couple of our resident Pens fans have found it impossible to do so, its refreshing to see someone willing to engage in the discussion.  I wish Sid and the Pens the best of luck….. ok kinda haha.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 11/27/11 at 03:12 AM ET

cs6687's avatar

Posted by bezukov from Celebrating 20 yrs of Hockeytown being > St Louis on 11/27/11 at 12:12 AM ET

Thanks, bezukov.

Posted by cs6687 on 11/27/11 at 03:10 PM ET

CS
Crosby wasn’t involved in a fight, per the NHL. It was a ‘scrum’ as he noted it to be.
Anytime you throw any kind of blow at an opponent’s head, it damn well should be a either a fight or an illegal blow to the head.
You can’t really excuse it as a fight then say all he should have received was the 2 minute minor.

I think it shows bad form for him to come back from a 10 month recovery from concussions and elbow someone in the head. I don’t see how that is debatable regardless of whether Foglino “deserved” it. If he deserved it, Crosby should have let someone come in and fight him rather than just getting pissed and crosschecking him a bunch of times then hitting him in the head. Bad form.

Posted by teldar on 11/28/11 at 12:30 AM ET