Crosby And Bylsma On Tortorella’s Comments

from Brittany Goncar and Sam Kasan of the Penguins website,

Sidney Crosby spoke with the media following Friday’s practice…

On if he heard John Tortorella’s comments:
No, I vaguely heard what he said. I figured he was just blowing up. I’m sure he’ll apologize today about it and everything will be forgotten.

On himself and Evgeni Malkin being called a whiner:
I don’t know what he’s talking about. I mean, if you want you can put a camera on us all game, put a camera on (Ryan Callahan) all game. You’ll see who’s over there more. He should worry about his own players.

On if it’s a gamesmanship:
Yeah, a lot of it. I don’t know when this all started, if this is part of the new tactics in the playoffs, but it’s garbage. The games played on the ice. You get all this stuff going on. It really is garbage. It’s nonsense and if they want to do it great, but I’m not going to waste my time answering questions about it all the time. It’s getting pretty old.

Dan Bylsma also talked after practice…

On Rangers coach Tortorella’s post-game comments:
His postgame comments for a lot of games this year we’ve heard different things from hits, starting lineups, how referees ends games. It’s part of his coaching manual to go off there. I did hear them.

On if there is gamesmanship in the comments:
We’ve seen that in the last week all over with gamesmanship and trying to talk to, at and through different mediums to the team, referees and who might be listening to some of the talk. That’s all it is: gamesmanship. They’re trying to have an effect where I’m not sure they can have an effect. I think it’s gamesmanship and they’re trying to have someone hear them. Whether it’s the referees or whom I don’t know.

read more from both Crosby and Bylsma….

Filed in: NHL Teams, New York Rangers, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: dan+bylsma, sidney+crosby

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

Moq's avatar

I like when people call Sid a whiner.

Actually, I’m tired of the trend that stipulates every comment a “whine”. Whether it’s used on Tortorella, Crosby or anyone else. If you disagree with something written or said, then try countering with a reasoned response rather than dismissing it with a “whine” label. It merely shows that you don’t have any arguments.

Returning to the topic at hand. I think Crosby did a good job of exposing the recent “attacks” as nothing but manipulative garbage. But it’s also a fool’s errand, because recent events fit quite nicely into the tinfoil fantasy harbored by many “hockey fans”. They are quite impervious to argument, and will probably remain unswayed by Crosby’s honesty in describing his relationship with the referees, then and now. I think it’s difficult to ignore that Tortorella blew up, and that you shouldn’t be seduced by the glittery fragments of nonsense raining down.

I’m also very satisfied with the organisation. They treat their fans well, brand a tough, skilled and fair game of hockey. I have a great deal of respect for Lemieux, Shero, Bylsma and Crosby as the faces of the organisation. They’re not perfect, but using the label “arrogant” isn’t the first thing that comes to my mind. However, opinions are free.

I might be arrogant, because I think we have the best team in the league led by the two best players in the world. It’s time to end the gamesmanship and start the playoffs.

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 04/06/12 at 08:59 PM ET

YYZerman's avatar

That’s from Sid, today.  I guess that’s not speaking his mind and doesn’t deserve your respect because…he didn’t verbally attack opposing players for no reason?  Because he didn’t punctuate it with a couple of f-bombs?  Or because he isn’t “saying what people have wanted to say for years?”

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Milford, CT on 04/06/12 at 05:21 PM ET

You’re right, he didn’t verbally attack an opposing player for reason. He attacked a whole Flyers team. And the comment about Callahan isn’t him attacking a Player?!?! He couldn’t say they have lot’s of players that whine? So now that he is admitting to being a cry baby for two years it’s okay? You Pens fans wouldn’t even come close to admitting that before the king of all kings said that today but now it’s ok. What he Torts said has everything to do with Cindy and Malkin. He said that he is tired of that team crying all the time and they are in fact one of the biggest cry babys of all of them. I’ll be the first to say Cindy is very talented. But I don’t like his attitude and think he’s a baby. Get over it. I’m sure you don’t a ton of players, but you don’t see me crying because people say Quincy gave a cheap shot to Kopeky? I said the same thing about Avery, even when he was on the Wings (thank god they traded him). I just don’t get why Pens fans refuse to admit that he acts like a little brat sometimes.

Posted by YYZerman from Detroit, Michigan on 04/06/12 at 10:10 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

Oh, four years ago?  Great.  You mean back when the Wings were still a Cup contender?  Nevermind.

What have the Pens done since the last time they met the Wings in the SCF?  Oh yeah, lost in the first and second rounds to the Lighting and Canadiens (those are 2 real powerhouses).

“Where does Crosby come off saying those things?  He acted like a little whiny baby.  He sucks.”

Probably right on point.  Got your spiel down pat.

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 04/06/12 at 04:03 PM ET

Aren’t you saying essentially the same thing about YYZerman as the words you are trying to put into his mouth?

So what did the Penguins go out and do?  Matt Cooke gets out of hand, he and the Penguins spend the offseason completely changing his game.

But no one will say that.  Because it’s way more fun to blindly bash the organization, it’s players and fanbase.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Milford, CT on 04/06/12 at 04:21 PM ET

So, becaue he has managed to play 81 games cleanly, we are supposed to forget all of his previous transgressions?  I know you think we are all Jesus reborn, but we aren’t THAT forgiving (Joke about Jesus’ resurrection on Easter weekend?  I win the internets).  Cooke has managed 81 clean games.  Good for him, but nowere near enough games that you should be acting indignant when his history is brought up.

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 04/06/12 at 10:12 PM ET

YYZerman's avatar

When Crosby said this, I assumed he was taking a dig at Milbury, not actually thinking Torts would apologize.

Posted by K24 from NYC on 04/06/12 at 06:08 PM ET

I’m wondering how know this? Do you know Crosby personally? Because that doesn’t sound at all like that.

Posted by YYZerman from Detroit, Michigan on 04/06/12 at 10:14 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Dance Card is open

I like you.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/06/12 at 10:49 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

you don’t see me crying because people say Quincy gave a cheap shot to Kopeky?

No, but a lot of people tend to go ballistic when I criticize Kronwall.  To my eye he is often nearly as blatant as Quincey was, but I guess that’s debatable.  I don’t think you can blame someone for defending players.  Maybe you don’t defend Kronwall, but Quincey is pretty easy to throw to the wolves.  Not the best example.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 04/07/12 at 12:42 AM ET

Dance Card is open

I like you.

Posted by Vladimir16 on 04/06/12 at 08:49 PM ET

Wait until he starts quoting Pantera songs at you…

Posted by From The Hockey Wastelands from Cleveland on 04/07/12 at 12:46 AM ET

K24's avatar

Posted by YYZerman from Detroit, Michigan on 04/06/12 at 08:14 PM ET

Don’t be ridiculous.

As for my assumption, I thought Crosby was making a thinly-veiled reference to the Milbury thing since Milbury made some nasty remarks and then apologized. Makes more sense than Crosby actually thinking Torts would apologize.

Posted by K24 from NYC on 04/07/12 at 12:59 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Sid Crosby is an embarrassment ...why is this news????

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/07/12 at 02:49 AM ET

cs6687's avatar

Red Winger is an embarrassment ...why is this news????

Fixed.

Posted by cs6687 on 04/07/12 at 03:11 PM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

Hahaha.  Yeah…what an embarrassment last year was.  106 points, 4th seed in the east and a 7-game, 1st round loss to the full-strength Lightning (who took the Cup champion Bruins to 7 games) all without Crosby and Malkin.

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 04/06/12 at 08:12 PM ET

Indignant?  Everyone here that’s not a Pens fan says that Mario and the organization are a bunch of hypocrites because they complained about what happened in the Islanders game last year but employed Matt Cooke every opportunity they can.  I bring up how they completely rehabilitated Cooke’s game this season as a rebuttal…and I’m indignant?  Do you know what indignant means?

Go away.

Posted by YYZerman from Detroit, Michigan on 04/06/12 at 08:14 PM ET

I mean, you seem to know exactly what Crosby says on the ice…so what’s the difference?

Posted by YYZerman from Detroit, Michigan on 04/06/12 at 08:10 PM ET

I’ve never refused to admit anything of the sort.  I’m more than willing to admit he’s not perfect.  What I want to know is why non-Pens fans refuse to admit that he’s nowhere near the whiner he was when he came into the league.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 04/10/12 at 12:00 AM ET