Crosby And Bylsma On Tortorella’s Comments

from Brittany Goncar and Sam Kasan of the Penguins website,

Sidney Crosby spoke with the media following Friday’s practice…

On if he heard John Tortorella’s comments:
No, I vaguely heard what he said. I figured he was just blowing up. I’m sure he’ll apologize today about it and everything will be forgotten.

On himself and Evgeni Malkin being called a whiner:
I don’t know what he’s talking about. I mean, if you want you can put a camera on us all game, put a camera on (Ryan Callahan) all game. You’ll see who’s over there more. He should worry about his own players.

On if it’s a gamesmanship:
Yeah, a lot of it. I don’t know when this all started, if this is part of the new tactics in the playoffs, but it’s garbage. The games played on the ice. You get all this stuff going on. It really is garbage. It’s nonsense and if they want to do it great, but I’m not going to waste my time answering questions about it all the time. It’s getting pretty old.

Dan Bylsma also talked after practice…

On Rangers coach Tortorella’s post-game comments:
His postgame comments for a lot of games this year we’ve heard different things from hits, starting lineups, how referees ends games. It’s part of his coaching manual to go off there. I did hear them.

On if there is gamesmanship in the comments:
We’ve seen that in the last week all over with gamesmanship and trying to talk to, at and through different mediums to the team, referees and who might be listening to some of the talk. That’s all it is: gamesmanship. They’re trying to have an effect where I’m not sure they can have an effect. I think it’s gamesmanship and they’re trying to have someone hear them. Whether it’s the referees or whom I don’t know.

read more from both Crosby and Bylsma….

Filed in: NHL Teams, New York Rangers, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: dan+bylsma, sidney+crosby

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

mrfluffy's avatar

Feeding the flames but-

Why are more and more people saying this in public then?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/06/12 at 05:16 PM ET

YYZerman's avatar

On if he heard John Tortorella’s comments:

I love how he just assumes he’s going to apologize to him and that he “vaguely” heard about it. That’s the difference between some little spoiled brat and someone who speaks their mind. Of course he heard everything he said. It’s been everywhere. But no, he’s got to make himself look like he’s soooo above any of this…even though he says the exact same thing about a Ranger player right after. And cue all the crying little Pens fans that everyone is just jealous of their team and they just wish everyone else had those type of players (which just about every NHL team does).

Posted by YYZerman from Detroit, Michigan on 04/06/12 at 05:30 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

Sid can’t win. He can’t. Too many people are either shortsighted or stupid. Or both. Yes, Sid talks to officials and will voice his displeasure. But find me a player who doesn’t. That’s his point. And he thinks what Tortorella said was reactionary after a loss. I thought so, as well. Give the kid a break.

Posted by cs6687 on 04/06/12 at 05:39 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) you’re wasting you time ! AMWing fans can’t help themselves ! they are like Herion addicts who know they are killing themselves but don’t care

Posted by Evilpens on 04/06/12 at 05:46 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

Sid on a radio interview today…

‘‘I was guilty of whining in my first two years. I’m not going to pretend it didn’t happen’‘

“I don’t think Geno would be getting 2 or 3 points a game if he was running around slashing everyone.”

Posted by cs6687 on 04/06/12 at 05:49 PM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

Posted by YYZerman from Detroit, Michigan on 04/06/12 at 03:30 PM ET

Wow.  Just…wow.  I’m sure if he’d have had a little hissy fit like Tortorella did after last night’s game, you’d have come on here and lambasted him about being a baby and a whiner, right?  Give me a break.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 04/06/12 at 05:51 PM ET

YYZerman's avatar

Posted by cs6687 on 04/06/12 at 03:49 PM ET

We know he’s not getting any suspensions for instigating fights at the end of games also.

Posted by YYZerman from Detroit, Michigan on 04/06/12 at 05:53 PM ET

YYZerman's avatar

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Milford, CT on 04/06/12 at 03:51 PM ET

He’s just saying what everyone else has been wanting to say for years. And he does it night in and night out. That’s why I like him. Yea he might be doing it to get an edge in the playoffs if they meet. But he speaks his mind and I respect that.

It’s also funny how all you Pens “fans” have no problem with a coach crying when it was their own doing it about how every Red Wing player interfers and it never get’s called in the playoffs 4 years ago.

Posted by YYZerman from Detroit, Michigan on 04/06/12 at 05:58 PM ET

scotts0's avatar

Torts is right and every hockey player(including the Penguins) and every hockey fan(including Penguins fans) knows it.  Pittsburgh has arguably the dirtiest player in the league(up until this year) in Matt Cooke and yet Mario threatens to walk away from the league because of the big bad Islanders who did what every team wants to do to them?  C’mon man, that can’t be anymore hypocritical.

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 04/06/12 at 06:03 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

What the heck is Herion? And if its so addictive how come I haven’t heard of it. Ya see, I’m from the D so that means I love drugs. What a tool.
Why does this troll feel his has to defend his precious players? Insecure much?

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/06/12 at 06:04 PM ET

Link_Gaetz's avatar

On the general comments of his demeanor:
It’s coming out of Philly, which has been coming out for seven years since I’ve been in the league. I’ll be the first one to admit my first couple of years I was pretty hard on the refs. I’ve come a long way since then, but I’m nowhere near where I was then and to get those kinds of remarks every day is uncalled for and not warranted. I don’t really know how much I can say. I don’t need to sit here and defend myself for something that’s not going on, but if they want to try that garbage try it.

^^^From Sid, if you click to go to the Pens website.

It’s funny that Sid still gets called a whiner non-stop. You know what it tells me when someone calls Sid a whiner still? That they don’t watch any hockey besides their own team. Just watch replays from the Pens/Flyers game the other night. Crosby didn’t say anything to the refs after that little shot to his back from Schenn. Then, during the whole scrum, Crosby stood there with his mouth shut. He is a completely different player now than he was in his first two years in the league, but that reputation will probably always stick. Oh well. It clearly doesn’t get it him.

I like when people call Sid a whiner. It lets me know that I can automatically disregard their opinion on all things hockey-related, since they never watch a game that doesn’t feature their own team. Have fun getting 99% of your hockey knowledge from the comments sections of fanblogs.

Posted by Link_Gaetz on 04/06/12 at 06:05 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

I posted this in the original Tortorella thread but perhaps its more appropriate here.

The difference between Wings fans and Pens fans? Knowledge of the game and class. Contrast the reaction to this obviously dirty play by a player with a history of dirty hits, to the reaction of Wings fans to Quincey’srecent dirty play and suspension:

LB: http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/a2y/comments/ken_holland_fooling_wing_fans_since_28_february/P200/

Learn how to Kronwall someone Quincey, you *#$%@&.

Looks like we’ll see you in Round One Quincey.  Phoning Brendan Shanahan.

Ya know what, fuch Quincey.  That’s some cheap shit that gets pulled in a Ducks uniform, or a Flames uniform, but not a Wings uniform.  Ridiculous.

And reaction to the suspension: http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/hockey/comments/quincey_suspended_one_game/

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!? A pure as the wind driven snow Wing got suspended ?
Posted by Evilpens on 04/02/12 at 05:47 PM ET
Actually, I think those guys, and most Wings fans, thought he should have gotten more games.  So yeah, think before you post.

I was expecting/thinking/hoping for 3 games. Quincey was rather stupid here.

Should have been two or three.

Awful. Should’ve been at least the three last games of the season.

Actually, there were a couple of people that were confused or thought the suspension odd, but they did not specify if they thought the suspensions was light or harsh.

Stay classy Pens fans.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/06/12 at 06:08 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Oh so I misspelled a word & that invalidates right? man you must be a wiz on facebook that does that all the time & if you didn’t have you head stuck in your anus you would have seen I said Orpik is a STUPID Player who does stupid stuff all the time & gets caught out of Position

Take a few bottles of Midol before you read the next one Douche

Posted by Evilpens on 04/06/12 at 06:09 PM ET

Link_Gaetz's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 04/06/12 at 04:08 PM ET

I’m glad you base your opinion on all Pens fans based on what you see from the two trolling Pens fans who frequent this blog, and the Wings fans who make up the rest of this blog.

Seems reasonable.

Posted by Link_Gaetz on 04/06/12 at 06:10 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

RT @MolinariPG: Nothing is official yet (a point that must be emphasized), but early indications are that Orpik won’t get fine or suspension for Stepan hit

Posted by Evilpens on 04/06/12 at 06:10 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Seems reasonable.
Posted by Link_Gaetz on 04/06/12 at 04:10 PM ET

Nope, I’ve have visited pensblog, too.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/06/12 at 06:11 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

And we’re the idiots? If you can’t see he what he was posting…go back to Pensblog.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/06/12 at 06:11 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

well that’s your fault for visiting that BS blog

Posted by Evilpens on 04/06/12 at 06:12 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

sorry! it is Detroit fans maybe I should have used CRACK you’re are more versed at that

Posted by Evilpens on 04/06/12 at 06:15 PM ET

DocF's avatar

I personally sent Torterella one of my official tin foil hats.  We all know he is paranoid, but he is spot on with his rant in this case.

I detest, even loathe several players for their consistent dirty play.  Brook Orpik (yes, I can spell his name, but my way is more suitable) ranks at the top of my list.  He did not try to merely injure Erik Cole; he tried to kill him.  To run a player head first into the board after skating as far as he did is way beyond the pale.

Notice that the whiney-heinie Pittsburgh players and fans are ranting like the idiots they are.  Dan Boyle, a fine Grand Haven lad has even been doing it.  He needs a change of job to a real hockey team in a real hockey town.

Doc

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 04/06/12 at 06:18 PM ET

Link_Gaetz's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 04/06/12 at 04:11 PM ET

Haha ok. So you used the two Pens fans who post here, as well as the couple hundred 15-20 year olds over at the Pensblog. Now it seems reasonable.

If you use any internet message board to base an opinion on anything in the world, you’re doing it wrong.

I could probably come up with some fun generalizations about Wings fans, too, if I based my opinions off the people who post in A2Y.

But anyway, what do I care? I love that everyone outside of Pittsburgh hates the Penguins. It makes it more fun for me, personally.

Posted by Link_Gaetz on 04/06/12 at 06:20 PM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

Stay classy Pens fans.

Thanks for lumping everyone into the same group, there, captain.  I’ll have to go find some @sshole Red Wings fans and use them as an example so I can do the same to you guys, huh?

And really…good for you guys being so level-headed about a hit where not only did the player in question leave his feet, but also elbowed the guy in the head.  Doesn’t leave much room for homerism, does it?  How about you go back and find a thread from last year when Matt Cooke elbowed Ryan McDonagh in the head and see what all us Pens fans had to say about that.  That’s a more fitting comparison, I think.

I’m sure you’ll disagree.

Oh, four years ago?  Great.  You mean back when the Wings were still a Cup contender?  Nevermind.

What are you talking about “saying what everyone else has been wanting to say for years?”  You’re telling me that not one single person has called Crosby a whiner?  That no one has called the Pens organization arrogant?  If that’s what you’re saying, I’m gonna go ahead and guess you don’t watch much hockey.  I have no clue why you’re here.

So tell me this, how much would you respect Crosby if he’d act and say those same things?  On second thought, don’t answer that…you don’t need to.  Your post would go a little something like this:  “Where does Crosby come off saying those things?  He acted like a little whiny baby.  He sucks.”

Probably right on point.  Got your spiel down pat.

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 04/06/12 at 04:03 PM ET

So what did the Penguins go out and do?  Matt Cooke gets out of hand, he and the Penguins spend the offseason completely changing his game.

But no one will say that.  Because it’s way more fun to blindly bash the organization, it’s players and fanbase.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 04/06/12 at 06:21 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Take a few bottles of Midol before you read the next one Douche

I was actually messing with you, ya nincompoop. So, seeing as I got your attention; why are you so insecure and get so riled up over what someone has to say about “your” player? It screams insecurity and thin skinnedness (is that even a word?). Anyhoo, your calling me a douche is hilarious and I find it quite funny when intenet blog guys get all tough behind their puters. I am from the D and played college rugby, so there. Jerkstore. My dad can beat up your dad.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/06/12 at 06:24 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Link, reputation matters. Whether it’s Crosby, Bertuzzi, Orpik or Avery. Once one gets a reputation, it tends to hang around a long long time. Didn’t your mother ever warn you about that?

Link, I also watch lot of hockey, though most of it involves Western Conference teams. And I get my entertainment from hockey blogs; I get my hockey news from more reputable sources. For the record, I love Malikin and I loved Lemiuex. I think Malkin is the second best Russian in the NHL. And Lemieux was no angel. He gave it as good as he took it and I respected him for that. But to me Crosby will alway be a whiny little bitch. Reputations, you just can’t shake them.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/06/12 at 06:27 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Vladimir16 Goody I roadied for Bands that played in Biker Bars & 1 job other than running the Mixer I had was keeping drooling drunks off of the Guys in the Bands GF or Wife Got the scars to prove it too & deal with a coked out of his mind Biker who is also Drunk. Dance Card is open

Posted by Evilpens on 04/06/12 at 06:33 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

Todd Bertuzzi is a felon on ice. Kronwall is a cheapshot artitst who can’t stay on his feet. Reputations, you just can’t shake them.

(No, I don’t actually believe what I wrote. Just pointing out the stupidity of the above comment.)

Posted by cs6687 on 04/06/12 at 06:34 PM ET

Link_Gaetz's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 04/06/12 at 04:27 PM ET

I know reputation matters. That’s pretty much what I said above. I watch Crosby on a nightly basis, so I see the difference. I just feel that if someone actually watches the Pens on a regular basis, you would see that he rarely every “whines” to the refs. If he does even talk to the ref, it’s in a manner no different than the 29 other captains in the league. Frankly, I don’t care if the reputation never leaves. Like I said, it’s kind of fun when you know the thought of the Pens winning drives rival fanbases frickin’ insane (Caps, Flyers, Rags).  I like that non-Pens fans hate the organization.

That’s what I mean about generalizing. There are a lot of people in A2Y who watch other games, and get info from someone other than the Chief. But sometimes it seems like there many who aren’t.

P.S. - Lemieux certainly was no angel. In the same vein as your Malkin and Mario love, I get flak from some Pittsbrugh friends for my constant pumping of Pavel Datsyuk’s tires. I absolutely love Datsyuk, and I’ll be sad when he retires. I also hated the way Crosby whined and had slashing temper tantrums during his first two years.

P.P.S - I think Malkin is the best Russian, but I don’t think either of us could change the other’s view point on that wink

Posted by Link_Gaetz on 04/06/12 at 06:37 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Posted by Evilpens on 04/06/12 at 04:33 PM ET

So you can shred and bench 300? Nice. I’m a pharmacist.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/06/12 at 06:37 PM ET

Paul's avatar

And I am a guy just trying to run a reputable hockey site.

So please keep this on topic but I do know playoff fever is building, so you’ve all had your shots, now back to the topic.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/06/12 at 06:41 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Haha….ok Paul…you win.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/06/12 at 06:43 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Problem is Paul it’s your Buddies who start everything & you do NOTHING about it !

Posted by YYZerman from Detroit, Michigan on 04/06/12 at 03:30 PM ET

Notice it was posted over an hour ago

Posted by Evilpens on 04/06/12 at 06:44 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Grow up, EP.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/06/12 at 06:47 PM ET

Paul's avatar

EP, first of most people here are not my Buddies.  As a matter of fact, I’ve had more communications with you than 90% of the people here.

This is for everyone…

The one thing, and about the only thing that really rubs me the wrong way is name calling of another KK member.

Call out the players, defend the players, but when it starts to get personal between members, it should stop.

Now, I am sure most of you have done some name-calling in the past, maybe just a jab here and there, that is fine, but when it gets brutal and my face cringes, I just wonder what the intent of the name-calling was.

Most people here are very knowledgeable when it comes to the game and others want to read your thoughts, but when the name-calling starts, it turns them off and just so you know, there are more lurkers here than people who comment.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/06/12 at 06:53 PM ET

YYZerman's avatar

What if Darth Vader destroyed the Earth with the Deathstar? See, both of those things would never happen so why even talk about them?

You make no sense. And the fact that you don’t think the WIngs are a cup contender shows me you don’t watch much hockey. And what the hell does watching a lot of hockey and calling Cindy a cry baby have anything to do with each other? Is there some sort of level of hockey you have to watch before you can start calling him a little cry baby? Is this a hockey law you made up or is it something every hockey fan has to follow? Because if thats the case, then you shouldn’t be saying anything about me since you have no idea who I am or what I’ve done.

Posted by YYZerman from Detroit, Michigan on 04/06/12 at 07:01 PM ET

YYZerman's avatar

Notice it was posted over an hour ago

Posted by Evilpens on 04/06/12 at 04:44 PM ET

Please show me the part where I attacked you?

Posted by YYZerman from Detroit, Michigan on 04/06/12 at 07:04 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by cs6687 on 04/06/12 at 04:34 PM ET

Believe what you want. I already noted that Bert’s reputation does and should follow him.

Kronwall, iirc, has never been suspended. Orpik has.

Plenty of other superstar players have come through this league in the past 30 years and only one that I can recall whined his way through two seasons before he grew up. His reputation sticks out like a sore thumb because whining has been such a taboo in hockey. If Sid were a soccer player, he would be a superstar and his whining would be lauded, but that’s the culture of soccer, not hockey.

A man’s reputation is more important than just about anything. I give Sid a little credit for at least owning up to the fact that he whined a lot his first two years in the league. But Gretzky, Lemieux, Yzerman and others never had to own up to such boorish behavior to begin with.

You get a mailer from some new investment firm. They want you as a client. The person running it has a last name of Madoff. Turn’s out Bernie is his father. Since reputation doesn’t matter, you go right ahead and invest. And best of luck to you.  I’m throwing out the mailer.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/06/12 at 07:15 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by Link_Gaetz on 04/06/12 at 04:37 PM ET

Cheers!

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/06/12 at 07:17 PM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

Posted by YYZerman from Detroit, Michigan on 04/06/12 at 05:01 PM ET

I make no sense?  Really?

And who you are and what you’ve done?!  Very intriguing.  You’re a pharmacist, aren’t you?

That’s from Sid, today.  I guess that’s not speaking his mind and doesn’t deserve your respect because…he didn’t verbally attack opposing players for no reason?  Because he didn’t punctuate it with a couple of f-bombs?  Or because he isn’t “saying what people have wanted to say for years?”

And I’m pretty confused as to what Tortorella said that “people have wanted to say for years.”  Because…you’ve been saying that Crosby is a whiner for years, right?  I’d say the majority of the people that come and comment on KK have been saying that very same thing for years.  Coaches and players have been saying that FOR YEARS.

The arrogance part?  I thought that was covered last year after the Islanders attacked the Penguins in what was supposed to be a hockey game…because the Pens’ goalie broke the Islanders’ goalie’s face.  Remember what people were saying about Mario?  Yeah.

You see where I went with that?  Simplified:  The things Tortorella said aren’t things “people have wanted to say for years,” they’re things people have been saying for years…and for some reason they’re being rehashed again, unwarranted and for no apparent reason other than he was upset over a loss (the 4th in a row to the Pens) and a hit that had nothing to do with Sid or Malkin.

I mean, you read these things.  You comment on them.  Are you unable to comprehend what you read and comment on?

So, please, help ME make sense of YOU.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 04/06/12 at 07:21 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

@ Captain and Link

Love it.  Just a quick point, Lemieux and Gretz were called whiners and divers everywhere they went.  What you are saying is legit.  Kerry Fraser mentions in his book that Crosby was a whiner and that he has gotten better.  My point is just that superstars get labelled like that and reality doesn’t necessarily matter at all.  We all acknowledge their greatness now, but back then they were hardly mentioned without a bit of slander.  All the Crosby stuff bugs me a little just because it reminds me of this.  I think the mega-marketing of Sid bugs me just a little more.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 04/06/12 at 08:07 PM ET

K24's avatar

On if he heard John Tortorella’s comments:

Posted by YYZerman

When Crosby said this, I assumed he was taking a dig at Milbury, not actually thinking Torts would apologize.

Posted by K24 from NYC on 04/06/12 at 08:08 PM ET