Coyotes’ Situation Coming To A Conclusion

from Dan Bickley of the Arizona Republic,

Divorces don’t happen overnight. Most times, you can hear them coming.

Loose comments? A chilly change in tone? If you’re a Coyotes fan, you were jolted by both before Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final.

Commissioner Gary Bettman said time was running short on the city of Glendale. He said “stuff’s gonna happen” in the next two weeks. He even tossed out the visual of a boarded-up Jobing.com Arena.

Not what you expect from a life partner.

Meanwhile, Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly acknowledged for the first time that the Coyotes might not be playing in Arizona next season. He said the puck was in Glendale’s end, assuming all city-council members actually would catch the metaphor.

It sounded a lot better when we were on the 1-yard line.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, d, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Man if they moved them to a Canadian City wonder how much HRR and the salary cap would jump for season 2014-2015.  That and all the outdoor games I would think it’s going to jump pretty high.

Posted by tbassett on 06/14/13 at 08:56 AM ET

Hank1974's avatar

I’‘ll believe it when I see it.

And tbassett, IF the Yotes move, it’ll be to a U.S. city.
The NHL knows that all Canadian cities like QC and Toronto would gladly pony up $300M (or more!) for expansion fee’s.
City’s like KC or Seattle would scoff at such a hefty price tag.

I can see PHX moving to Seattle above any other town.
It’s a good sports town and without an NBA team (for now), they have a great chance of being successful there.

Posted by Hank1974 on 06/14/13 at 09:38 AM ET

SnLO's avatar

I can see PHX moving to Seattle above any other town.

I think Vegas is a real possibility too. And it helps the NHL keep a SW presence.

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 06/14/13 at 09:42 AM ET

And tbassett, IF the Yotes move, it’ll be to a U.S. city.

I don’t think that’s anywhere remotely close to a sure thing.  Cities like KC and Seattle can’t even get and keep NBA teams.  There’s not a lot to suggest an NHL team would fare any better.

There’s always the chance Bettman et al will do something stubborn or stupid instead of insightful or perspicacious.  Still, I tend to think their greed wins out over their stupidity, in most cases.  The greedy move is to cash a big check from a buyer who will move a team to the Greater Toronto area, then cash a monstrous check every year in HRR-share from that club.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 06/14/13 at 10:02 AM ET

Alan's avatar

Cities like KC and Seattle can’t even get and keep NBA teams

Seattle did it for 41 years.

If you don’t know the history, why bother mentioning it?

Hockey would work out just fine in Seattle.

The only city that is arguably ahead of Seattle on the “potential relocation” list is Quebec City.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 06/14/13 at 11:05 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Hate to break it to everyone, but with the East already being lopsided with more teams, PHX wouldn’t be moving to Toronto, or Hamilton, or Quebec City.

If they move they’re going to Seattle, KC, or… the now-vacant Houston.

Posted by Primis on 06/14/13 at 11:32 AM ET

Not gonna happen in Vegas.  I’m tired of explaining the arena situation.  In short, there’s no money.  End of story.

If they don’t get this settled by draft day 2013, Tippet’s gone.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 06/14/13 at 12:04 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

I’m tired of explaining the arena situation.
Posted by SYF from a viewing moratorium of NBC’s hockey coverage on 06/14/13 at 01:04 PM ET

my bad. sry, i’m not following the pracitcal viability of that locality beyond a team presence in a market. I don’t mean that as a slight either.

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 06/14/13 at 12:22 PM ET

Naw, it’s cool.  Las Vegas as a media market isn’t even ranked in the top 25.  I don’t get those boneheads in the NHL front office who keep giving Vegas the googly eyes and severe erections.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 06/14/13 at 12:26 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

Vegas is a locality that is in the national spotlight though. It is a destination location. So, my thought is the NHL is looking at it as a national exposure opportunity rather than building a local market. And local wise, maybe trying to pull in tourist money. But we all know that doesn’t work so well (see Florida teams). they (NHL) keep having the awards show in Vegas too. It really seems they are trying to get the interest of the gambling world to build their empire much the same way it did for the NFL. Maybe.

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 06/14/13 at 12:37 PM ET

Heh.  Even GR is a bigger (slightly, but still bigger) TV market than Vegas.  Top 100 TV Markets (PDF File; estimates as of Jan. 1, 2013 for 2012-2013).

I’m all for Seattle.  After seeing how they turned out for MLS, I’ve wished for no one else since then to have another pro franchise.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 06/14/13 at 01:05 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that the NHL should put a team in Vegas, just they seem to want to.. possibly for the reasons I listed. I read you.

I agree, Seattle could be a great location and have the potential fanbase. My opinion is also based on seeing the crowd turn out for the Wold Cup Qualifier against Panama. But I don’t think the NHL wants to risk cannibalizing the Vancouver market due proximity of the two cities. Strategically Portland would seem more likely if to improve / expand presence in the NW.

But really I have no clue, I’m all speculation and opinion.  LOL