Cooke With A New Mentality

from the Sporting News,

But like most players of his ilk, Cooke is different off the ice—he is generous, gregarious and has a charity in Vancouver. He was in Altoona, Pa., on Monday to shoot a ceremonial first puck at a minor-league baseball game when The Altoona Mirror caught up with him.

Lemieux is the Penguins’ president, a member Hockey Hall of Fame and Steel City immortal. So Cooke had better live up to his word – and he says he will.

“It’s a mentality, it’s how I’m going to approach the game,’’ Cooke told The Mirror. “And the team has worked hard in supporting me to accomplish these minor tweaks in my game.’‘

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: matt+cooke

Comments

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

It’s not a new mentality if he thought his game needed “minor tweaks.”

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/23/11 at 08:47 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

It’s not a new mentality if he thought his game needed “minor tweaks.”

You beat me to it, JJ. Cooke needs a complete attitude adjustment. Until he recognizes that, he’ll remain a douche bag – a douche bag who will be having lots of phone conversations with Shannie.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 08/23/11 at 09:00 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I can’t help but think that he may be the reason people started targeting Crosby.. maybe not but as many notches as Cooke has on his belt against “softer” players I wouldn’t be surprised.. Sid did take 2 hits to the head in 1 week.. he definitely doesn’t help his team or organization playing like that and im not inclined to think Shannie will let him off easy

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 08/23/11 at 09:53 PM ET

people need to give it a rest… the guy was suspended for WAYYYY more than he should have been, and he is stating publicly that he is determined to change his style of play to be within the rules.  He has not made any excuses for himself, and is a talented hockey player.

Give the the a chance before you all begin knocking him down again.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 08/23/11 at 10:21 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Tell that to Savard.. if he ever plays again…

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 08/23/11 at 10:24 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Give the the a chance before you all begin knocking him down again.

How many chances does one have to get? This is what, his third?

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 08/23/11 at 10:28 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

He has not made any excuses for himself

No, instead he blames victims of his hit and says that it’s how he’s expected to play.  But at least he doesn’t make excuses for himself.

I’m giving Matt Cooke the same treatment I gave Claude Lemieux and Todd Bertuzzi.  He’ll earn my respect when he shows he deserves it.

I don’t care about his hockey skills. It’s never been about his hockey skills. It’s about his dangerous play and his shitty attitude. Words don’t tell me anything.  Matt Cooke had words about the Tyutin hit and then went to get himself suspended for another dangerous act.

Until then, you can give it the same rest you’d have us give it.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/23/11 at 10:32 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

Tell that to Savard.. if he ever plays again…

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 08/23/11 at 08:24 PM ET

You realize Savard played after Cooke’s hit, and his most recent hit from Matt Hunwick is the reason he missed the end of last season, right?

Posted by cs6687 on 08/23/11 at 10:42 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

I doubt that. Sid or Malkin would have been targeted immediately if that were the case. Cooke hit Savard in March 2010, Tyutin in February 2011, and McDonaugh in March 2011. The timeline doesn’t back that argument. And Cooke throwing reckless hits doesn’t make it acceptable for Hedman or Steckel to hit Sid. None if the aforementioned hits were legal, and none should be tolerated.

Posted by cs6687 on 08/23/11 at 10:55 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

You’re right cs like I said maybe not.. but mccarty waited a year for lemuiex.. but the fact he played again doesn’t mean that cookes hit wasn’t a catalyst.. and im positive that he doesn’t think Cooke deserves chance after chance.. keep in mind we aren’t even talking about his slewfoots he dishes out.. guy is a dirty player and hope one day he gets as much as he’s given.. no more and no less.. chances are he wouldn’t be in very good shape..

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 08/23/11 at 11:36 PM ET

You’re right, therefore Cooke is excused of any wrongdoing.

Posted by Garth on 08/24/11 at 12:10 AM ET

That’s your imagination. Hedman’s hit wasn’t very vicious and happens about 900 times per year and Steckels just a complete clod. I’ve seen him accidentally run over (think it was) Backstrom on a line change when he wasn’t paying attention to where he was going. He’s the sort of guy where if he sees a hit he generally doesn’t take it because he’s afraid of being slashed in retaliation.

In other words, one was kind of a freak thing (whether Steckel was trying to set a pick or just didn’t see him, the result wasn’t predictable) and the other was a pretty normal 2 minute minor that hardly anyone gets hurt on. Neither was committed by the type of guy with the balls to seek retribution for something and deal with the fallout.

On topic, I’ll believe Cooke can play within the rules without dogging it when I see him do it. He’s come back from suspension before with this attitude like “You’re going to suspend me for elbowing people? Hmmp. Fine, if you’re gonna be that way I won’t skate hard, anymore.” How he makes the association between one thing to the other boggles my mind.

The only thing I don’t understand about the reaction of people to Cooke is why they don’t react the same way to Colby Armstrong. Cooke’s more or less claimed one guy’s career on a headshot. Armstrong’s taken three that I know of (Letowski, Kapannen, some other guy I can’t remember, McAmmond, maybe).

Posted by steviesteve on 08/24/11 at 12:22 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Armstrong doesn’t get the same media coverage, but I personally hold him in the same regard.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/24/11 at 12:42 AM ET

cs6687's avatar

You’re right, therefore Cooke is excused of any wrongdoing.

Posted by Garth on 08/23/11 at 10:10 PM ET

That’s not what I’m saying, Garth. My point was Savard’s absence from the end of last season is not because of Cooke’s hit, which is contrary to popular belief.

Posted by cs6687 on 08/24/11 at 01:02 AM ET

Primis's avatar

I think any mentality whatsoever added to Cooke’s game would have to be an improvement.

There are plenty of jerk players out there trying to hurt other guys and the like, but Cooke is the only one I can think of you could truly call “brain-dead”.

Posted by Primis on 08/24/11 at 01:23 AM ET

Wings_Fan_In_KC's avatar

Cooke is a scumbag.  I’ll believe he’s changed when I see it.

Posted by Wings_Fan_In_KC from ...somewhere southwest of The Motor City... on 08/24/11 at 01:37 AM ET

Re:  the minor tweaks—This article provides a more in-depth assessment of the changes Cooke says he is making to his game, including talking about relearning how to deliver a legal check:

we’ll see . . .