Cooke Avoiding Those Dangerous Hits

from Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review,

Addressing the media for the first time since the NHL suspended him for four games, Cooke acknowledged Thursday he has met with Penguins coach Dan Bylsma three times this season about not shying away from his physical approach.

Yet Cooke admitted he has, to a degree.

“I’ve altered my game,” Cooke said, a reference to eliminating hits like the one that sidelined Boston center Marc Savard for two months last season. “I’ve had a meeting with the coach for not hitting a guy coming through the middle. There’s a really high risk of being suspended, and I’ve not hit that guy.”

Cooke said he has received support from Penguins ownership and his teammates, but at least one teammate didn’t have a problem with the NHL’s punishment.

“I think it’s fair,” defenseman Brooks Orpik said. “That’s a dangerous hit.”

read on

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: matt+cooke

Comments

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

LOL

when Brooks Orpik says your hit was dangerous, you should listen.  he knows all about playing dirty.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 02/11/11 at 12:46 PM ET

Incognetis's avatar

I hate to think of the damage Cooke would cause if he went full-throttle.

Posted by Incognetis from Delaware... Hi... I'm in... Delaware on 02/11/11 at 01:17 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

So is Grapes going to call out Orprick for throwing his teammate under the bus hit like he did when Ference commented on the Paille hit/suspension?

Some how in this case I doubt it.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 02/11/11 at 01:47 PM ET

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from Kstewy16’s sandy vag on 02/11/11 at 10:47 AM ET

Honestly, who the hell cares what Don Cherry says?  He’s a bloated windbag, everyone knows it, so why do people give a damn?

Posted by Garth on 02/11/11 at 02:10 PM ET

Some how in this case I doubt it.

Lord no. He loved it when Guerin said the same thing last year. Orpik’s a straight shooter.

And Ference didn’t get called out because of what he said about Paille. Ference got called out about what he said about Paille because Grapes doesn’t like Ference for a number of reasons, mostly having to do with his political views. I saw another Grapes rant about Ference’s association with some leftist named Suzuki a few years ago.

Posted by StevieSteve on 02/11/11 at 03:31 PM ET