Conn Smythe Talk

The Conn Smythe Trophy is an annual award given to the most valuable player for his team in the playoffs. The winner is selected by the Professional Hockey Writers' Association at the conclusion of the final game in the Stanley Cup finals.

Would you have awarded Kane the Conn Smythe Trophy?  If not, as a member of Kukla's Korner expert fan union, who would have received your vote?

Filed in: NHL Teams, Chicago Blackhawks, NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: patrick+kane

Comments

Kane was the clutch player in the Final. No one was more deserving in this case. What I am wondering about is the sour grapes. What is missing from this picture? Could it be the past three winners were Kane, Quick and Thomas? Hmmm, naw they would never be so patently nationalistic as that, would they?

Posted by timbits on 06/25/13 at 09:32 AM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

I definitely thought it would be Kane or Crawford. Crawford was consistently valuable (with a few hiccups) throughout the playoffs, while Kane really picked up his game in the last two rounds. Tough call, although I likely would have gone with Crawford.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 06/25/13 at 10:10 AM ET

shanetx's avatar

This reminds me of the 99 award.  The stars best player was Belfour by a mile, but the losing Sabres had a far better performance from Hasek, so somehow Niewendyk won (led Stars with, I think, 7 goals).  I’d like to have seen Krecj or Rask win but I’m perfectly fine with Kane getting it.  Even if he is a wanker.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 06/25/13 at 10:45 AM ET

By all the stuff I read, Crawford should’ve been the winner.  He kept his team in the hunt for the win in every game even when his team was down 1-3 in the series against the Wings.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 06/25/13 at 11:29 AM ET

Buck's avatar

Crawford would have gotten my vote.

Posted by Buck from The High Plains of New Mexico on 06/25/13 at 12:07 PM ET

Posted by timbits on 06/25/13 at 09:32 AM ET

Yeah, why pretend there’s any merit to the argument (when there are f*cking AMERICAN PEOPLE who think Crawford should’ve gotten it) when you can show your xenophobic inferiority complex by trying to make it about someone else’s xenophobia.

Posted by Garth on 06/25/13 at 12:11 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

My thought would have been for Bickell but I can see why Kane got it.

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 06/25/13 at 03:09 PM ET

I definitely would have gone Crawford or Bickell. The trophy is for the playoffs, not just the cup final. Kane was invisible for long, long stretches,

Posted by The Upper Canadien from Toronto on 06/25/13 at 04:05 PM ET

Yeah, why pretend there’s any merit to the argument

Because there isn’t any merit to the argument that the selection system is flawed. Had Toews been selected you wouldn’t be hearing a peep out of the pundits north of the border. That is a fact whether or not you think it is true.

Posted by timbits on 06/25/13 at 11:28 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

toewes didn’t take two rounds off. Kane did.

Crawford was a better selection.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 06/26/13 at 09:42 AM ET

toewes didn’t take two rounds off. Kane did.

Toews took 3 rounds off instead of just two.

Posted by timbits on 06/26/13 at 09:49 AM ET