Congratulations, You’re In The Russian Army

from Will Stewart and Adam Solomons at the Daily Mail,

A Russian ice hockey star who signed a million-dollar contract with an American team was rounded up by Russian plain-clothes policemen and taken to an army enlistment office yesterday before he's expected to be sent to fight in Ukraine.

Olympian Ivan Fedotov, 25, was reportedly rushed into Putin's army after he was filmed being detained by a squad of officers outside an ice rink in St Petersburg.

The accusation of 'draft dodging' is seen as revenge for his signing to play for NHL team the Philadelphia Flyers.

The top goalie and Olympic silver medalist signed a deal worth $1.1million (£900,000) last month.

Fedotov was formerly with CSKA, a club in the capital with close ties to the Russian military. Its name translates to Central Sports Club of the Army.

News outlet Fontanka reported that he can now be sent to the Russian army rather than the US - but he could also be jailed for alleged draft dodging.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Philadelphia Flyers, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Kaszycki and his Krew's avatar

Note to GM’s across the NHL - get your Russian players out of there.

Posted by Kaszycki and his Krew on 07/02/22 at 09:38 AM ET

dougie's avatar

Imma just drop this here and walk away. What goes around, comes around.

On April 28, 1967, with the United States at war in Vietnam, Ali refused to be inducted into the armed forces, saying “I ain’t got no quarrel with those Vietcong.” On June 20, 1967, Ali was convicted of draft evasion, sentenced to five years in prison, fined $10,000 and banned from boxing for three years.

Posted by dougie on 07/02/22 at 09:53 AM ET

I hate to be this guy, but it’s you’re, not your.

Posted by GMoney on 07/02/22 at 11:21 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Fixed GM and I appreciate the heads up, especially at the end of the season.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/02/22 at 11:26 AM ET

Or “disappeared” indefinitely

Posted by godblender on 07/02/22 at 11:27 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by dougie on 07/02/22 at 09:53 AM ET

I admire what Ali did. He stood up for his own principles.

In September of 1969, I was faced with the same kind of decision. I was adamantly opposed to the war in Vietnam, and I contemplated fleeing to Canada. Instead, I followed the words of Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain): “Support your govenerment when it’s right. Support your country always.”

So I allowed myself to be drafted, but as a military conscientious objector. Fortunately, I ended up serving my tour as a medic in Korea and not Vietnam. In the process, I learned to honor all of those who served, regardless of their beliefs about the war. And I equally honor those like Ali and David Harris (Joan Baez’s husband) who went to prison to stand up for their beliefs instead of fleeing the country.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/02/22 at 11:58 AM ET

Sure makes you wonder how many GMs will pass up drafting Russian players this year over things like this.

Posted by RyanVM on 07/02/22 at 02:35 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Good for you OTC! I respect that. Several of my older friends chose that path. I graduated HS in 1972, so all I had to deal with was the draft lottery, for 2 years. If your birthday was one of the first 50-60 chosen? You were going to be drafted.

Both my lottery numbers were in the high 200’s, so they didn’t call me. But having spent a lot of time in Ann Arbor after I got out of HS, if you catch my drift, I knew exactly where I was going in Canada, if they ever did. And I apologize to no one.

Hell, I probably would have learned to skate and love hockey a lot sooner than I did. And I got to see the MC5 several times live in Ann Arbor!

Posted by dougie on 07/02/22 at 02:43 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

The lottery was instituted in 1969 with the first drawing coming on Dec. 1st – a month and a half after I was inducted. Based on the results of the drawing, any number over 95 was exempt from the draft.

It wasn’t until about five years ago that I decided to check where my birthday had fallen. It fell at #237. It took a while to get over that.  LOL

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/02/22 at 03:19 PM ET

dougie's avatar

About 3 years ago, I found out that I had been born with one kidney, which would have given me an automatic 4-F status (disqualified from military service). All those backup plans for nothing LOL

Posted by dougie on 07/02/22 at 06:46 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

About 3 years ago, I found out that I had been born with one kidney

There were guys in the Vietnam era who would have given, well, a kidney to have your “luck.”  LOL

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/02/22 at 07:47 PM ET

Word is Fedotov was assigned to an Arctic outpost instead of the Ukraine front.

Posted by evileye on 07/06/22 at 10:30 AM ET