Commodore Out 1-3 Weeks With Bad Knee

from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

Detroit Red Wings defenseman Mike Commodore might not be ready for the start of the regular season, Oct. 7 against Ottawa, due to a sore knee.

Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said Commodore will be out 1-3 weeks.

Commodore hurt his knee in Wednesday’s preseason game at Chicago. He said it’s an MCL issue and an MRI revealed no damage.

“I just kind of tweaked my knee. I’ve never done that before so it’s all new to me,’’ Commodore said. ” It’s pretty sore and swollen. But there isn’t any major damage.’‘

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: mike+commodore

Comments

“And I’m sure I’ll be ready for our 6th game,” he muttered under his breath when nobody but Mike Babcock and Brendan Smith were within earshot.

Posted by Garth on 09/30/11 at 04:48 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Ha…didn’t see that coming.  smile

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 09/30/11 at 04:55 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Is Vic 20 available?

Posted by Hank1974 on 09/30/11 at 04:56 PM ET

awould's avatar

That’s hilarious. Get Smith’s suspension over asap.

I thought 5 games was a bit harsh for what was a reckless but not intentional hit. But lessons must be learned it seems.

Posted by awould on 09/30/11 at 05:23 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Mursak, Commodore, Cleary, Stuart.

Yep, just a normal Red Wing season.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 09/30/11 at 05:25 PM ET

Yep, just a normal Red Wing season.

I’d be happy icing a lineup mad up entirely of Griffins and Walleyes for the rest of the exhibition games if it means getting the injury bug out of the way in the pre-season.

Posted by Garth on 09/30/11 at 05:33 PM ET

DocF's avatar

Well, I can live with Janik up for a few games.  He can play, but he really belongs on a team like New Jersey that plays defense first.  Doug proved he can shut down Hossa the other night and not too many blueliners have done that.

Doc

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 09/30/11 at 05:43 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Well, I can live with Janik up for a few games.

Actually, Doc, unless someone else goes on IR, the “advantage” of Commodore being injured is that it would allow the Wings to keep Smith on the roster and get all or part of his suspension out of the way before he’s sent down to G.R.  Whether they do it that way or not remains to be seen.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 09/30/11 at 06:21 PM ET