Columbus Signs Lebda, Martinek Out For The Season With Post-Concussion Symptoms

COLUMBUS, OHIO – Columbus Blue Jackets Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations and General Manager Scott Howson announced tonight that defenseman Radek Martinek will miss the remainder of the season due to post-concussion symptoms and that the club has signed defenseman Brett Lebda to a one-year contract. As is club policy, terms were not disclosed.

Martinek, 35, scored one goal in seven games with Columbus this season before suffering a concussion in a game at Detroit on October 21 that has sidelined him for the past 39 games. Signed by the club as a free agent last July, he has registered 22-82-104 and 272 penalty minutes in 460 games with the Blue Jackets and New York Islanders.

“After consulting with our medical team it was determined that it would be in Radek’s best interest not to play again this season,” said Howson. “Radek is very disappointed, as are we, that he will not return to the ice this year but his health moving forward is the most important factor in this decision.”

Lebda, 30, has registered 19 goals and 53 assists for 72 points with 215 penalty minutes and a +17 plus/minus rating in 367 career NHL games with the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs. This season, he appeared in 26 games with the Springfield Falcons, Columbus’ American Hockey League affiliate, and collected 1-9-10 and 18 penalty minutes with an even plus/minus rating.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Columbus Blue Jackets, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: brett+lebda, radek+martinek

Comments

bezukov's avatar

I hope he likes playing in a real hockeytown…. lol.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/19/12 at 10:31 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

Lebda = Scott Howson GM of the Year. Book it.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 01/19/12 at 10:49 PM ET

squirrely's avatar

This signing is the start of the blue jackets triumphant march back into the playoffs

Posted by squirrely from Dirty Jersey on 01/19/12 at 10:58 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

I actually kinda feel sorry for Columbus fans right now.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 01/19/12 at 11:08 PM ET

mmuskrat's avatar

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Posted by mmuskrat on 01/19/12 at 11:49 PM ET

DrewBehr's avatar

I wish I could get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to be terrible at my job.

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 01/19/12 at 11:52 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

“I actually kinda feel sorry for Columbus fans right now”

Nope.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 01/20/12 at 01:15 AM ET

DocF's avatar

Poor Lebda.  He doesn’t even get in a game with the straightjackets and he’s being dissed by the fans already.  He is not that bad; he’s not good enough for almost every other team in the NHL, but he will display a level of competence given the rest of the Columbus team.

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 01/20/12 at 02:09 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I know Ken Daniels wasn’t trying to be mean tonight but I had to laugh when his comment about Lebda’s signing was: “That just shows you how desperate Columbus is.”

Hilarious.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 01/20/12 at 03:07 AM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from COLUMBIA, TENNESSEE on 01/19/12 at 11:15 PM ET

It was a fleeting sentiment, I shook it off quickly.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 01/20/12 at 09:13 AM ET

Yet somehow DRW managed to win a cup with him on the team. Lebda is a fine 3rd pairing dman, the problem in Toronto was that they were expecting way, way too much from him. I laughed my ass off when I saw that contract and I laughed even harder when I saw him on their PP. He’ll do fine as a 6th dman in Colombus, not enough to save this season of course, but even Gretzky himself couldn’t do that.

Posted by Did from SE on 01/20/12 at 12:27 PM ET