Columbus in the House

Please welcome yet another new blogging addition to Kukla’s Korner, Nicholas Lorenzi.  We’re pleased to say that Nicholas will be here throughout the coming season, giving us his thoughts on everything Blue Jackets on his new blog, The Lorenzi Line.

—Alanah

image

This is a start to something that should have happened long ago: A Blue Jacket’s blog with its gloves off. I’ll be here to call players out and to praise their actions. The past is something we can build on. There were 10 straight disappointing seasons with its moments. So here’s the deal, I sometimes may sound as if I hate the Jackets and I’ll make brash statements but know that this city’s fan are craving a Stanley Cup. I’m an Ohio native and an ex season ticket holder for a few years starting on day one. Now I’m the guy standing in line for $10 tickets and making drinks in the bathroom of Nationwide, a fan that is constantly heckling and cheering during a game. I start fights in the parking lot and mask every loss with a trip to the bar.

I grew up idolizing Bobby Orr and try to play like him every time the puck drops. I would play hockey in my alley in Lancaster Ohio from the time I got home from school til the sun went down. I dealt with an crabby elderly woman calling the cops on me and my friends for my love of the game in that small alley behind her house and mine. Through the years my entire family “carried the flag” but that slowly faded away and the piles of memorabilia became packed away and collected dust.

When I moved to Columbus 5 years ago something happened, Ken Hitchcock… It seemed like everything was on the up and up. The 07-08 season sparked something under the jackets in the form of Pascal LeClaire then Steve Mason in 08-09. We were in the playoffs! That was exciting and short lived thanks to Detroit. I witnessed Game 4 make fans but also stopped hearts when “Too Many Men” was called.  We finally thought that now we made a mark in the NHL and became a threat. Not to mention that our team would stay in Columbus at least for a few more years.

My first favorite Jacket was Geoff Sanderson and I have faith in Rick Nash and our late Jakub Voracek. A trip to the playoffs would be amazing but only if it’s not against Detroit again. I thank Kukla’s Korner for taking a chance on my voice. You can expect stats that give hope and reports of “whatthehellhappened”. The future is bright and I’ll be here archiving every step.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Columbus Blue Jackets, Nicholas Lorenzi, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

SnLO's avatar

making drinks in the bathroom of Nationwide

I don’t want to know…

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 07/27/11 at 05:59 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I hope Nick doesn’t mind me outting him haha.  But, Nick and I have been playing hockey in the parking lots of Columbus and Lancaster for years.  He’s as big a hockey junkie as I know and great guy.  He’s a big Jackets fan, but a bigger fan of the game itself, and I know he will do a great and impassioned job.  Welcome to Kukla’s Korner Nick!  Glad to see you on board!

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/27/11 at 06:05 PM ET

Zaze's avatar

Posted by bezukov from Wings Fan in exile: Columbus, OH on 07/27/11 at 04:05 PM ET

From another wings fan in cbus who’s excited about the local product heating up… welcome!

Posted by Zaze on 07/27/11 at 06:14 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Now I’m the guy standing in line for $10 tickets and making drinks in the bathroom of Nationwide.
I start fights in the parking lot and mask every loss with a trip to the bar.

You certainly sound like the kind of guy I’d love to be sitting near when I’m taking my family to a hockey game.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/27/11 at 06:20 PM ET

red_wings_49's avatar

Lancaster Ohio?!?!  No kidding… I know a few firefighters from down there.

Welcome aboard to the Korner… we’ll be here to ridicule the Jackets as well!  wink

Posted by red_wings_49 from Mad Heights, MI on 07/27/11 at 06:34 PM ET

Nicholas Lorenzi's avatar

Driving to Joe Louis Arena to see the Red Wings against anyone but the Jackets with bezukov keeps me grounded. The whole Ohio and Michigan rivalry has no meaning to me and certainly does not apply to the NHL. When I’m in Detroit my throat is destroyed from screaming “Red Wings”, which confuses most people when they see me in a Bobby Orr jersey.

Thanks to bezukov I’m a writer for the Jacket’s section of Kulkas Korner. Because of our friendship I’ve heard every spiteful thing you can say about the Jackets, and hell I’ve said most of them. So any ridicule is welcome.

Posted by Nicholas Lorenzi on 07/27/11 at 06:39 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Welcome Neighbor

Posted by Evilpens on 07/27/11 at 07:00 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Welcome Nick from a Wing fan in Cbus

good luck.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/27/11 at 07:43 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Welcome!  And to all of you Wings fans stuck in Columbus, my heartfelt sympathy.

cool smile

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 07/27/11 at 08:23 PM ET

@DaveDavisHockey's avatar

Nicholas welcome aboard.

Posted by @DaveDavisHockey from Buffalo, NY on 07/27/11 at 09:58 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by MsRedWinger from Florida, wishin’ I was back in the Mitten on 07/27/11 at 06:23 PM ET

I’m glad somebody feels my pain lol.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/28/11 at 12:12 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Nick… welcome to the KK Murderer’s Row.

I’ll jump right to it.

Why does your team just not understand the importance of defensemen that can really skate?  Are they blinking every single time they get burned for a goal because their d-men can’t skate back quickly enough, or the D gets skated around like pylons.

I just don’t get it man.

Also, what’s your take on goalie development there?  It seems to me CBS finds a new way to screw up promising goalies every couple of years…

Posted by Primis on 07/28/11 at 12:15 AM ET

Welcome to the blog!

Posted by Lex Talionis on 07/28/11 at 12:24 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Klesla never seemed like he could skate but he always seemed to be in a good position to defend….but…heh…one defenseman out of…many.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 07/28/11 at 01:14 AM ET

Nicholas Lorenzi's avatar

That’s just it, Rusty could get where he needed to be for that block.  The year before last he was hurt and we dropped down fast as hell. He was great at his position and was traded for nothing really. It further screwed the D and made Mason look like a fish in a barrel.

As for skating backwards fast, why should that matter? The d should be molesting people when they enter Jackets ice, but they don’t…. You have seen how that turns out: Shots on net. I’ve seen them keep up most the time but still let the shot get thru. It’s like they are escorting the opposing team to a win. They fans scream “Hit him” for a reason. Boll seems to be the only one to hear this…

The worse trade in Jackets history to me is the trade of Jaroslav Spacek. He’s what they’ve been missing, a fast defense-man who can pass with the speed to defend of a pk. I feel they are banking on Wisniewski for that element. With the added bonus of plastering people into the glass and connecting pucks to the right guy’s stick. Especially on a much needed power play.

The entire organization is like a child with ADD, it’s Scoring then Goaltending, repeat. I was starting to wonder when the defense would even get an upgrade. Wait, Commodore hahaha. What a waste. Having him on the team was a crutch. Shooting from the blue line all the time. Letting pucks pass the blue line when he wasn’t shooting it. Not to mention kicking goals into our own net.

So they figured out scoring with Rick. Tried Filatov but thankfully Umberger and Vermette have been putting up numbers. As well as Huselius when he’s healthy.

With goal-tending they hit bank! Mason is a huge goaltender with extreme athleticism. Too bad the d wasn’t there for the playoffs and most the season… Commodore…. Still hoping he snaps outs of his funk they made a very DARING attempt to make him seem like the most reliable goaltender in the NHL by making his backup a guy, Dekanich, who hasn’t seen more than 1 NHL game which ended in a loss. But through all of this they are just putting more bricks on his shoulders.

I don’t, can’t agree with this at all. All this over Lefties.

So their way to develop goaltenders is to make them feel like they are Luke flying through the trenches of the Death Star with the last working X-Wing. Stressful for these young goaltenders. Hitchcock did the same with Leclaire after his shutout run.

Now they got 2 more defense-men and a terrifying train of goal scorers, the only flaw is hoping Steve Mason sleeps well the night before.

That’s right Columbus, always leave a chance and you can guarantee a helluva half a season.

Posted by Nicholas Lorenzi on 07/28/11 at 01:48 AM ET

Nicholas Lorenzi's avatar

Also thank you to everyone for the welcomings, heh

Can’t wait for this hockey season to start!

Posted by Nicholas Lorenzi on 07/28/11 at 01:54 AM ET

statelouis26's avatar

I hate Columbus.  Not really because of anything they did or the players on their team.  I hate playing them 40 times a year, usually in meaningless games against a patchwork squad.  Yawn.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 07/28/11 at 01:57 AM ET

Nicholas Lorenzi's avatar

Hey bud don’t hate on Columbus. This is a great city with talented inhabitants. Just hate Rick Nash. He just loves getting those hat tricks when he plays Detroit. Btw we’ve played Detroit about 57 times since 2000, about 6 times a year. A little over exaggeration I know but believe me we hate playing Detroit when the Red Wings have a .739 win percentage against us.

Posted by Nicholas Lorenzi on 07/28/11 at 02:21 AM ET

edillac's avatar

welcome Nicholas,
so from what I read in your intro it seems that you’ll be Chief Lite,that promises some fun material after manymany regular season losses by the BJ’s

Posted by edillac from isolation on 07/28/11 at 03:52 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Not skating backwards, but getting back into the play.  CBus d-men can’t skate.  They just can’t, and they never really have.  If your D isn’t capable of containing the offense in their own zone, you then have to be able to get back.  Way, way too often CBus’s dmen can’t and don’t, and since they’re not set they get easily picked apart by a team that CAN skate.

RE: goalies, both Leclaire and Mason never really developed once the initial book on them got out.  So they started strong, then began having weaknesses exposed,  To me that indicates poor goalie coaching…

Posted by Primis on 07/28/11 at 07:19 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

That series versus Detroit destroyed whatever confidence Mason had. Again…not sure Klesla ever could skate, but he was a decent D-man. Adding Wiz…well…he can sort of skate…is light-years ahead of whomever else they have…I hate to say this…but even Brett Lebda would help the BJ defense.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 07/28/11 at 07:50 PM ET

Nicholas Lorenzi's avatar

I can’t disagree with that. I put the blame on feeling helpless when you let 2 goals gets past you in the first period. Our D is the first thing to let go when the offense isn’t doing it’s job. There have been points where the Jackets have only posted 3 goals in three games and the defense lets 14 goals whiz by… With the Wiz I think energy is what he most brings to the table. You have to be in Nationwide to experience that.

It’s Hitchock in a room after a game mentioning Mason over and over again that gets me thinking that’s how he talked in the locker room.  This isn’t the first time this has happened to a yougn goaltender tho. Another thing is our last goal tending coach was only part time and now with Ian Clark working for us fulltime we have a chance to screw with Mason’s head a little bit. I have a feeling he’s going to come up big this year, infact the whole team.

I hate to say this…but even Brett Lebda would help the BJ defense.

Lebda’s a chump. Any one of our players is twice the player he is. We cut our fat (Commodore) Detroit will have to deal with chewing on that fat now.

Posted by Nicholas Lorenzi on 07/28/11 at 08:57 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

He is a chump, but he can skate. Of course, he’s usually skating in the wrong direction…

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 07/29/11 at 01:46 PM ET