Colorado Avalanche/Ryan O’Reilly Preparing For Arbitration

from Adrian Dater of All Things Avs,

Wednesday in some office room in Toronto, the Avalanche will face off against Ryan O’Reilly, pun intended.

It really does look like they are going to arbitration, folks. No last-minute settlement – as often happens between player and team right before an arbitration date – is likely. Both sides in this matter don’t like it when I say there is “bad blood” between the two sides, that this is all just business and nothing more.

But I wasn’t born yesterday. If they don’t like “bad blood”, how about “perceived differences in value that has gotten a bit personal.”

The Avs didn’t like it when I wrote in the middle of last season that, hey, why not get something done with Ryan O’Reilly long-term right now, why risk going into the summer without a new deal between them and O’Reilly and potentially have things go sideways like they did before and during the lockout-shortened 2012-13 season? The Avs told me that things were good between them and O’Reilly, and that they had peacefully agreed to postpone serious talks until the summer — and gave me the indication that it would be a foregone conclusion that a new, long-term deal would happen.

Silly, gullible me. Because, here we are on July 18, with no long-term contract between Ryan O’Reilly and the Avalanche.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Colorado Avalanche, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: ryan+o'reilly

Comments

Basically what I got from this is that The Avs are making O reilly look bad and that he will probably sign a one year deal and then go UFA after that? What does O’Rielly bring for 6.5 mil a season? I mean holy crap I didn’t even here of the guy until last year.

Posted by Pasha1277 on 07/18/14 at 01:05 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

It did look like he was going to be getting overpayed going into last season, but he really became a top end 2-way center, probably one of the best in the league, and hes only 23.  Not sure about his attitude at all, but I’d kill to have his talent on the Wings instead of Weiss, at any salary.

Posted by Hootinani on 07/18/14 at 03:35 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

I guess I should say 2-way forward, since he got bumped around a lot when they were trying to figure out a place for MacKinnon.

Posted by Hootinani on 07/18/14 at 03:52 PM ET

Aye, I would love to have him too but for 6.5? I’m curious, how many assists? how many goals? what +/-?

Posted by Pasha1277 on 07/18/14 at 04:13 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

He was a -1 i believe, but he put up close to 70 points and hes great shorthanded.  He just a solid all around player.  Ive said it
before, to me he is everything that people seem to think Kesler is, but without being a dick.

In my mind if you could get him at 6.5 per on a long term deal, he would end up being a steal by the end of that contract.

Posted by Hootinani on 07/18/14 at 04:25 PM ET

Yeah, the wings have not had any big name players for a long time now, since Hossa I think. Obviousl pav and Z are awesome but they’re franchise players and they make 6.5. Would love to have some awesome support next these guys instead of “i’ll score in bunches and be innefective when I want Franzen”.

Posted by Pasha1277 on 07/18/14 at 04:50 PM ET