Kukla's Korner Hockey
by George Malik on 10/05/13 at 09:15 PM ET
On Saturday night's Hockey Nighit in Canada game, Don Cherry praised a "Gilmour-like" David Clarkson, tried to explain why Daniel Alfredsson chose the Wings over the Senators, and he praised Patrick Roy for being Patrick Roy:
And those of us who heard this issued a collective, "WHAAATTTTT?" The CBC's moved the Satellite Hotstove to HNIC's pregame show, and a shorter first-game version offered the following:
1. Glenn Healy and Elliotte Friedman report that, should players remove their helmets before they fight, linesmen will do their best to stop the fight before it begins, per a GM's conference call;
2. Regarding ownership, Friedman says that at least one owner wondered aloud whether players who fight should have to sign a waiver to not sue the league for damages incurred during a fight, and regarding the NHLPA, Friedman says that the PA leadership's annual fall tour begins next week and will continue until Thanksgiving, and they will consider having a vote on stiffer penalties;
3. Regarding Toronto Maple Leafs defenseman Jake Gardner and his tiffs with Leafs coach Randy Carlyle, Friedman says that teams are calling Leafs GM Dave Nonis and are asking whether the defenseman is available;
4. Regarding NHL COO John Collins' desire to increase NHL revenues by a billion dollars over the next 10 years (per SportsBusiness Journal and Ron MacLean), both Healy and Friedman believe that the NHL and NHLPA will hold a World Cup during non-Summer-or-Winter-Olympic years (i.e. 2015, 2017, 2019), with TV rights to be bid upon;
5. And Friedman says that Mark Messier will join the Edmonton Oilers in some sort of consultant soon.
Add a Comment
Please limit embedded image or media size to 575 pixels wide.
Most Recent Blog Posts
About Kukla's Korner Hockey
Paul Kukla founded Kukla’s Korner in 2005 and the site has since become the must-read site on the ‘net for all the latest happenings around the NHL.
From breaking news to in-depth stories around the league, KK Hockey is updated with fresh stories all day long and will bring you the latest news as quickly as possible.
Email Paul anytime at email@example.com