Cleary Out With Fractured Ankle

via Ansar Khan of Mlive,

Cleary was hit in the ankle by a shot from teammate Brad Stuart with 11:18 to play in the third period. Cleary returned shortly after to play on the power play and played another shift as well.

He was limping badly after the game.

“It’s broken,’’ Cleary said. “A month at least.’‘

Cleary said it’s a non-displaced fracture that won’t require surgery. He’ll be put in a walking cast and will remain with the team for the rest of the three-game road trip.

“It hurt. I was hoping (it was) a bad bruise,’’ Cleary said. “I didn’t know what was going on. It was sore. I knew after the game something was wrong.’‘

Cleary was well on his way to his best season. He scored his team-leading 16th goal in the first period. That’s one more than he scored all of last season.

“I’m real upset about it,’’ Cleary said. “Four, five weeks, make sure I get back to playing the way I was.’‘

The Red Wings recalled forward Jan Mursak from the Grand Rapids Griffins. Mursak will make his NHL debut Monday night in Colorado.

added 12:16am on 12/27/10, watch how Cleary broke his ankle below…

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: daniel+cleary

Comments

Neznarf's avatar

Posted by Neznarf on 12/27/10 at 02:47 AM ET

Nate A's avatar

Shite

Opportunity for someone else as Babs likes to say.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 12/27/10 at 03:12 AM ET

Alzy's avatar

What the fuch?!

Yes, this is exclamation point worthy. I don’t remember hearing anything in the broadcast about an injury, although I admit I was only half-paying attention in the third.

This is so unfair, Buckets was I’d say aside from Dangle the best forward for the Wings this season. Now they’re both out. Happy, now would be a helluva time to decide to play like you give a rat’s ass.

Jobu is back. Hide Hank, JIMMAH and TPH.

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 12/27/10 at 05:14 AM ET

Lucce's avatar

Epic NOOOOO….

Bury Jobu now.

Posted by Lucce from Kingdom of Zweden on 12/27/10 at 07:36 AM ET

Tony's avatar

When it rains it pours….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 12/27/10 at 12:20 PM ET

Baroque's avatar

@Alzy -

He took a shot from Stuart on the foot. At the time he was clearly in considerable pain, on the ice and on the bench, but was out on the ice afterwards. Larry Murphy made a comment about how of course he was out, because there was a power play and everyone feels better when there is a chance to score.

In game it didn’t seem as immediately serious as Datsyuk’s injury because Datsyuk left the bench and didn’t return. That’s probably why you missed it, because it appeared a nasty bruise that wouldn’t keep him out more than a few games at most.

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 12/27/10 at 01:24 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I thought bruise at first too, especially with the way he was skating when he came back out on the ice after the break.

I should have known better, considering only he and the staff knew how badly his injuries were last year and he hardly showed that too.  The man is a monster.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 12/27/10 at 01:26 PM ET

awould's avatar

Tough game to take an injury like that, it was a dominating win.

Posted by awould on 12/27/10 at 02:24 PM ET

Fuch you, Jobu.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 12/28/10 at 06:05 PM ET