Chicago Will Match Offer Sheet For Hjalmarsson

via NHL Blackhawks tweet,

Breaking news: Blackhawks WILL match San Jose’s offer sheet for Hjalmarsson.

added 3:54pm, GM Stan Bowman talks about matching the offer sheet.  Watch the video below…

Filed in: NHL Teams, Chicago Blackhawks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: niklas+hjalmarsson

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Paul's avatar

Check out the Blackhawks cap situation at CapGeek.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/12/10 at 04:04 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

didn’t see that coming

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/12/10 at 04:09 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

So they’re going to have about 1 mil left if he takes it?  Garauntees Niemi is out but probably wont be able to afford a proven number one net blocker.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/12/10 at 04:11 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Talk is Sharp or Campbell will be shopped, but I can’t see any team picking up Campbell’s salary.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/12/10 at 04:13 PM ET

WingMan's avatar

Well, they didn’t have a number one net blocker this year either…

Interesting to see how the Hawks manage this situation.

I like the cap, but I am not sure it is having the intended effect!

Posted by WingMan from The Q C on 07/12/10 at 04:13 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

hmmm, sorry to serial post…

So they’re probably going to waive Huet then and if he doesn’t get picked up bring him back up and hope someone takes half the salary?

Also I didn’t see the bonus for Toews’ Conn Smythe on that cap figure either Paul or am I not reading it right? wasn’t it like 1.3 mil or something?  which would make an offer for halmers pretty much each all their remaining cap?  Help me out Paul

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/12/10 at 04:14 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Campbell has a limited NTC and surely he’s too serviceable to justify burying. Seems like they must either have a taker for Huet or are planning to bury him. But even then with the spots they need to fill in that scenario (2 goalies, 2 d-men, and 4 forwards), I’m not sure how it would work since they can only exceed the cap by 10%.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 07/12/10 at 04:16 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I agree Paul no one is going to take Campbells salary, no one.  Only possible candidate I see for campbell is Anaheim but I haven’t heard anything about anything regarding that…

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/12/10 at 04:16 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

I think the problem is who would take Huet off waivers, even for half? There’s a handful of goalies with similar abilities and track records that would come at half that price.

I thought maybe they’d bury him in the AHL, but I’m not sure, can they officially designate him to report to the AHL in the off-season? Because if they can’t, that doesn’t help them anyways, because they need to fill 8 roster spots NOW, not after the season already starts. And since they can only exceed by 10%, that gives them roughly $6 million to sign 8 players.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 07/12/10 at 04:19 PM ET

Paul's avatar

HT, not sure how it works either, but if you click Toews name, the performance bonus shows up on that page.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/12/10 at 04:20 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

The only way it looks like Chicago is going to be able to roll four lines next season is if they have Jonathan Toews centering all four of them

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/12/10 at 04:21 PM ET

Help me out Paul

Not Paul, but the bonuses are listed under “Carry-Over Bonus Penalties”.  It’s below “Goaltenders”, “Buyouts” and “Lost Through Re-Entry Waivers”.

With the Hjalmarsson contract they’re $113,000 below the cap, but teams are allowed to spend up to 10% above the cap until rosters are set.

Does anyone know how early Chicago can send Huet down?  Because if Niemi gets a contract comparable to Halak’s (and why wouldn’t he?) then that would leave Chicago with only a little over $2M left with the 10% cushion, and only 16 players under contract, so they still wouldn’t be able to sign more than four players, assuming they all took league minimum.

Also interesting is that I’ve heard a lot of Chicago people talk about not being worried because they have Kyle Beach and Brian Bickell ready to step in, but if Beach plays, his cap hit is over a million and Bickell’s an RFA so he’d likely get a bit of a raise if he signs, so those two aren’t exactly the “cheap prospects” that Chicago can just plug into the mix…

Posted by Garth on 07/12/10 at 04:24 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by Garth on 07/12/10 at 03:24 PM ET

Furthermore, if they want to find a taker for Huet or Campbell, it’s probably going to cost them picks/prospects as well to sweeten the deal. I can’t see them giving up Beach or Bickell in that scenario, but certainly I could see them stuck between a rock and a hard place, and finding the only way to clear space was to offer up a couple fairly high picks along with Campbell or Huet to sweeten the deal. It’s a recipe for exactly what the NHL wants—have two or three teams be real good for a couple years, then have them fall apart, and let two or three new teams take over, rinse and repeat so everyone gets a chance to win… blah.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 07/12/10 at 04:28 PM ET

Matt Saler's avatar

Does anyone know how early Chicago can send Huet down?

12 days before the start of the season.

Posted by Matt Saler from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/12/10 at 04:30 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

An interesting problem I hadn’t thought of.  Hard to believe Chicago has considered this plan without looking into the rules.  Then again ...

Posted by MoreShoot on 07/12/10 at 04:30 PM ET

cvd1's avatar

hmmm, need 3 more D making league minimum.  paging Chris Chelios…

Posted by cvd1 from San Diego, CA on 07/12/10 at 04:55 PM ET

If Huet gets sent down, there’s no way he’d come back up on re entry waivers unless it was an absolute dire emergency.  I’d imagine someone else would pick him up and the Hawks are probably going to right at the cap.  Having the other half of his salary on there would probably put the Hawks over.

The only team I see that would maybe take Campbell is the Islanders.  Don’t laugh.  Look at their cap situation.  They have to do something to get to the floor.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 07/12/10 at 04:55 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

That’s a lot of money for a turnover machine.

Posted by MoreShoot on 07/12/10 at 04:58 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Gee, remember when winning the Cup meant a Summer Long party?

Anyway you slice the Hawks Cap, there will be an ENORMOUS, turnover on that roster, and instead of celebrating , they will be scratching their heads trying to put together a team by October.

Hawks fans wished for a Cup, but forgot the old saying:

“Be careful what you wish for….”  shut eye

Posted by Down River Dan on 07/12/10 at 04:59 PM ET

Paul's avatar

I do believe we are witnessing the biggest shake-up of a sports team after they won a title.

Maybe the Marlins but I am not too sure of that, anyone else have any examples?

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/12/10 at 05:01 PM ET

It would be if we hadn’t already watched them being forced to trade away a third of their roster…

Posted by Garth on 07/12/10 at 05:01 PM ET

perfection's avatar

You know, my favorite part about all of this is the fact Stan Bowman doesn’t cry about what a jerkface Doug Wilson is a la Brian Burke.

Offer sheets are part of the game and it was a savvy one by the Sharks. Either you steal a defenseman from the Hawks, or at the least, you complicate their cap situation and potentially make their team depth a bit worse. It’s a good move, a legal move, and Bowman simply congratulated his player for earning an offer of this caliber.

That business with Burke whining and crying about the offer sheet for Penner was embarrassing and classless. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that someone from the Bowman clan would handle the situation a bit differently.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 07/12/10 at 05:02 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 07/12/10 at 03:55 PM ET

I could see a few Eastern Conference teams that might move for him, but have absolutely no idea which teams Campbell would accept for a trade scenario.  They need him on board for this to work and would you want to go to the Islanders?

I’m starting to believe that Hossa doesn’t remain a Hawk.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/12/10 at 05:03 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I tried to read up on waivers and CBA rules for it and I"m confident I’m much more confused now.

I like the Islanders idea, just don’t know that the ownership will go for it.  Not only is Cambells hit monsterous especially for what you get, but it’s long too.  Isn’t there something like 4-6 years left on it?  I’m interested to see if anything happens there but I stand by my prediction that if anyone gets him it will be Anaheim who have a large void on D.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/12/10 at 05:04 PM ET

That’s a lot of money for a turnover machine.
Posted by MoreShoot on 07/12/10 at 03:58 PM ET

It is.  But looking at their roster, they have 20 guys signed at 35.7million.  Unless they give a remaining FA a crap load of money, which judging by whats left (besides Kovalchuk), would result in a worse contract than Campbell’s.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 07/12/10 at 05:05 PM ET

I forgot about Campbells NTC.  But if he doesn’t waive it, they could just bury him in the minors, which could screw the Hawks in FA in the future.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 07/12/10 at 05:07 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Just and FYI, Campbell has six years left with an annual cap hit of just over $7.1M.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/12/10 at 05:07 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

J.J. I agree…  I thought that last year that they signed him long term in order to be able to market him later.  Hossa for a cap hit of 5-6 mil whatever it is and it wont move, it’s safe contract because it’s already set in stone.  I agree with you.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/12/10 at 05:12 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 07/12/10 at 04:07 PM ET

Yeah, that’s one thing that really stops it.  I seriously doubt the Hawks are going to go with burying both Campbell and Huet in the minors where they’re paying nearly $13M for 2 AHL guys.  Besides, like you said, I don’t think any free agent is going to want to sign in Chicago after witnessing that.  I know that they still get paid, but no NHLer worth his salt actually WANTS to play in the minors.  Being a prideful jerk that I am though, I’d force Chicago to do that to me before shipping me off to the Islanders.

The Isles need to spend about $2.5M on each of their three roster spots.  They could solve a lot if they gave Frolov from LA a little more than he’s asking for.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/12/10 at 05:12 PM ET

I’m starting to believe that Hossa doesn’t remain a Hawk.

I’m with you on that.  He’s got a combination of cap-friendly salary (at least…the cap hit) and the fact that he’s not part of the young core of the team.

Posted by Garth on 07/12/10 at 05:13 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Listening to 640am in Toronto, they say Huet cannot be sent to minors until the start of the season.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/12/10 at 05:14 PM ET

Matt Saler's avatar

I’m starting to believe that Hossa doesn’t remain a Hawk.

Not to mention no NTC. Trade him to NYI, I say. I would laugh...

Posted by Matt Saler from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/12/10 at 05:14 PM ET

Trade him to NYI, I say. I would laugh…

That would be fun fun fun.

This is going to get a lot worse for Chicago before it gets much better…

Posted by Garth on 07/12/10 at 05:34 PM ET

What makes anybody think even the Islanders would take on any of these salaries? Milbury is no longer in charge of contracts. Mad Mike is now everyone’s problem with his unrelenting schtick on NBC. Snow has made deals like Moulson, Streit and Roloson which are all very reasonable pick ups.  They are below the cap floor precisley because they refuse to pay beyond market value for players to come to Long Island.

I think the Isles would rather pay the penalty than reach the cap floor anyway since no one seems to know what that penalty is. It may just be a re-distrbution of cap floor deficit money among the roster players so that the floor is reached. Until Yashin is off the Islanders will not be spending their money to provide another team relief.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 07/12/10 at 05:38 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 07/12/10 at 04:38 PM ET

The penalty for intentionally failing to go up to the cap floor is the same as the penalty for intentionally going over it.  They’re not going to force the Islanders to give their players more money to reach the floor, they’re going to fine them, take away draft picks, and/or make them forfeit games until they’re cap compliant.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/12/10 at 05:41 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

On that note, what is the penalty for being over the cap?

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 07/12/10 at 05:42 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Ha, thanks JJ, you were a bit quicker than me.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 07/12/10 at 05:43 PM ET

Matt Saler's avatar

On that note, what is the penalty for being over the cap?

Can anyone actually go over the cap? The NHL has to certify deals, so wouldn’t they just, you know, not certify a deal that would put a team over the cap?

Posted by Matt Saler from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/12/10 at 05:46 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

No problem, Nate.

To note, the only other option the league has in regards to noncompliance with the ceiling rather than the floor is that the league can refuse to register contracts once they’re over.  If the Hawks are at the cap and try to sign a guy to a contract that would take them over the 10% extra room they have for training camp, the league will simply tell them that they won’t recognize the contract.

I’d assume there’d still be a fine or something involved there for wasting everybody’s time, but who knows?  That’s at the league’s discretion.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/12/10 at 05:46 PM ET

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 07/12/10 at 04:38 PM ET

I just offered it as a suggestion/speculation as to a team that could actually afford Campbell.  Like JJ said, they need to get to the floor somehow.  The Frolov thing could work, as well as bringing in Afinogenov at a raise from last year’s salary.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 07/12/10 at 05:47 PM ET