Cherry Says He Was Wrong

via CBC,

Don Cherry apologized Saturday on his Coach’s Corner segment for comments he made recently about a group of retired NHL enforcers.

During the Oct. 6 edition of his popular intermission segment on Hockey Night in Canada, Cherry referred to Chris Nilan, Stu Grimson and Jim Thomson as “pukes” for speaking out against fighting in hockey.

“I gotta admit I was wrong on a lot of things,” Cherry said. “Three enforcers, tough guys, my type of guys, I threw them under the bus, and I’m sorry about it. I really am.”

Cherry also apologized for suggesting that Nilan and Crimson had attributed their struggles with substance abuse to the violent nature of their former jobs, and for claiming that those players had said they wanted fighting banned from hockey.

“Chris and Stu never said that they took drugs because they were enforcers in the National Hockey League,” Cherry said. “Also, they never said they wanted fighting out of the game, that’s for sure.”

“I was wrong on that, 100 per cent wrong. And when you’re wrong, you have to admit it.”

added 10:11pm, watch tonight’s Coach’s Corner below…

Filed in: NHL Media, Hockey Broadcasting, CBC HNIC, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: don+cherry

Comments

Primis's avatar

Will this bee a weekly segment on Coach’s Corner?  Don Cherry’s “I Was Wrong About…”

Oh wait, they only have an intermission’s worth of airtime.

Posted by Primis on 10/15/11 at 10:48 PM ET

Not many admit they were wrong these days.  Especially without any hedging.  Hats off to Asham as well, won’t see many pro athletes admit they were wrong.  Good job to both of them.  I still say that’s what makes hockey different

It’s why I don’t want the ” look at me” crap to seep in from the other sports.

Posted by 13 user names on 10/16/11 at 01:40 AM ET

Funny last week he wasn’t going to apologize for anything, after a little lawyer talk and voila he “was wrong about a lot of things” and he “threw them under the bus” To bad his apolgoy is a day late and a dollar short.

Posted by timbits on 10/16/11 at 03:08 AM ET

Bingo, Timbits.

Cherry’s a bully and a coward.  He’s all big talk and stupid suits until there’s any risk, and then he’s just curls up and mewls.

He’s John Madden except without the success, the class, the courage, or the decency.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 10/16/11 at 07:54 AM ET

edillac's avatar

lawyers have that kind of effect

Posted by edillac from isolation on 10/16/11 at 08:23 AM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

I don’t agree with Don on everything , but I have enjoyed watching him for over 20 years.

Just curious, when is mike milburry, gonna apologize for the stupid stuff that comes out of his pie-hole every week???

Posted by Down River Dan on 10/16/11 at 12:21 PM ET

Of course he was pushed into apologizing.  Last week he was standing by his statements.

What’s worse is he uses Asham’s apology to pat himself on the back.

“It’s pretty tough for him to go in front of the TV, and it’s pretty tough in front of two million people, to admit you’re wrong,” Cherry said. “Arron, you have to have a lot of guts and character to admit when you’re wrong.”

Asham apologized to a few beat reporters, the two million Cherry’s talking about are watching him.

What a phoney!!!  Time for the ‘dinosaur’ to go, the act is getting old.

Posted by Scott from Long Island, NY on 10/16/11 at 12:46 PM ET

Lawyers aside, this apology sounds legit. The rest of the segment is all over the place. Time to retire, Don.

Posted by steviesteve on 10/16/11 at 06:28 PM ET