CBA News Makes The National News In Canada

Yesterday evening in Canada, the CBA news made the National News on CBC.  I doubt we would ever see any national news station in the States dedicate almost four minutes to everyting NHL.

Even though it is yesterday’s news, Elliotte Friedman of CBC/HNIC makes an appearance with his views on the negotiations.

Filed in: NHL Talk, NHLPA, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

gowings's avatar

Oh my, this is NOTHING compared to the French speaking network (RDS, INFO SPORT, TVA SPORT) and the radio segments on CKOI and CKMF. We have practically overshadowed the Olympics…Here (especially in QC) hockey is THE religion of the people (we even have several movies depicting Bettman…but he is referred to as Buttman in the movies). Hockey will never die here in La Belle Province, but if there is a lock out, hockey (in my opinion) will not be able to make a comeback. That 300B in profit? Forget it…you will never see that much money again….

The only consolation? I am not sure that a am mentally ready to watch the Wings play we our current roster…..but hey…I have been wrong many times before and maybe it’s just me stressing for nothing….

Posted by gowings from MTL on 08/10/12 at 07:30 PM ET

BrendonR's avatar

Even if there’s a lockout hockey will be fine in Canada, and always will be.  Gowings said it right: hockey is a religion here, and I doubt a year away will do much to change that.  I find all of these people who claim to be life-long fans, and yet say they’ll be done with the NHL if there’s a lockout really bizarre.  Guess you weren’t really much of a fan then in the first place eh?  In Canada hockey transcends any of the crap that’s gone on during Little Gary’s evil regime.

If the Leafs can go this long without a Cup and still draw fans like there’s no tomorrow (seriously, scalper prices here in TO for games are INSANE) the NHL will not only recover but thrive, exactly like after the last lockout.  Distance does make the heart grow stronger when it comes to true love, after all.

Posted by BrendonR on 08/10/12 at 08:12 PM ET

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

its about principle.  The owners claimed there was a lockout because player salaries are spiraling out of control. They claimed that with a salary cap tickets would become cheaper, and the players were the ones at fault for demanding ludicrous salaries.  Fastforward to the present, ticket prices has more than doubled in some areas since the lock out, nhl overall revenue is at approx. 300 billion.  And owners want even more money. Greed through and through.  If there is a lockout, I may eventually come back to hockey, but not with the luster and love that I once had.  Tickets are so expensive I can only afford to go to 1-2 games a year, compared to 8 or more before.

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 08/10/12 at 08:48 PM ET

UMFan's avatar

I did that with the last lockout. Before the last lockout, I was pissed if I missed a redwing game. Now, its no big deal. Yes, I’m still a fan, but not to the same degree as I was in the early 2000’s. Same thing happened with baseball. Prior to the mid 90’s lockout, I was obsessive. Now, still a fan but to a lesser extent. Its the one thing I think labor/management fights in any industry forget. Labor wants to win the game against management. Management wants win the game against labor. Yet both parties seem to forget that they both serve the consumer. And particularly now, the consumer has lots of other options to fill their time and energy following.

Posted by UMFan from Denver, Colorado on 08/11/12 at 12:34 AM ET

BrendonR's avatar

Yes, I’m still a fan, but not to the same degree as I was in the early 2000’s.

Exactly the point I’m making - this is the difference between those who are big fans, and those who live and breathe the game.  Having my interest in hockey wane because of some very temporary issue such as a lockout, especially on ‘principle’, doesn’t make sense to me at all. This is just a passing phase in what has been a lifetime of playing and loving hockey.  If it were a business and my only concern was value for my money, then sure teach them a lesson of economics and keeping customers happy.  But for many of us, especially in the Great White North, its part of the fabric of our lives.

Posted by BrendonR on 08/11/12 at 01:05 AM ET

Alan's avatar

And if the owners are stupid enough to lockout again, the NHL will be lucky to get coverage behind such esteemed sports as Magic: The Gathering and StarCraft II.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 08/11/12 at 02:41 AM ET

creasemonkey's avatar

There are different ways to show your lack of support for a product (because that’s what the NHL is) without giving up your personal desire for said product. If there is a lockout (which I’ve been resigned to expecting for quite a few months now), I still plan on following the Wings via various blogs & news sites. The big difference is I won’t be paying for tickets, which is more of a blow to teams that need the revenue (Phoenix, Anaheim, maybe LA).

Besides, the NHL does not hold a monopoly on the sport of hockey. It may not be as skilled, but there will be plenty to watch.

Posted by creasemonkey from sweet home san diego on 08/11/12 at 08:42 AM ET

It’s because Hockey is all they have up there.  It’s fine for them but I’d rather have my country focused on more reality than fantasy.

Hockey and whining about being cheated seem to be the national pastime in Canada.  LOL

Posted by 13 user names on 08/11/12 at 02:02 PM ET

BrendonR's avatar

It’s because Hockey is all they have up there.

Not to get off topic (sorry, Paul), but it’s mainly because we have the more important things figured out here already, like our banking system, healthcare, international reputation, etc….

Posted by BrendonR on 08/11/12 at 02:20 PM ET

Hey buddy.  Go post on some political site.  Hockey is fantasy, it’s not a life and death thing.  Neither is any other sport.

Posted by 13 user names on 08/11/12 at 06:49 PM ET

BrendonR's avatar

Hey buddy.  Go post on some political site.

Ha ha, this isn’t even the first time I’ve seen you post making fun of Canada’s approach to hockey recently.  You do realize what political means right?

Posted by BrendonR on 08/11/12 at 07:38 PM ET

Your paranoid obsession with what I or other Americans think is alarming.  No one here in the US gives a second thought to anything you do.  There is no malice toward Canada.  You all seem to imagine some mass conspiracy to cheat you out of things.  It’s not healthy.

I find this to be a recent development, Canadians were once likeable sorts.  They didn’t see a conspiracy around every corner.  I’m tired of Your European bashing, US bashing . Bettman bashing etc.  I like to watch and play hockey.  it’s why I like this site.

Don’t ruin it for me and a lot of others with these sniping comments.

Posted by 13 user names on 08/12/12 at 02:13 AM ET

BrendonR's avatar

I’m tired of Your European bashing, US bashing .

My favourite player is Zetterberg, and my favourite team is Detroit.

Bettman bashing etc.

You might not like the majority of the 19 then ha.

Posted by BrendonR on 08/12/12 at 02:02 PM ET