CBA Meeting About To Begin

The location is unknown and a media blackout alos exists.

added 12:27pm,

added 1:06pm,

added 5:02pm, Meeting continues, players now in their own room.

Filed in: NHL Talk, NHLPA, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

tkfergy's avatar

okay so slow news day until 5pm…

Posted by tkfergy on 12/12/12 at 11:32 AM ET

RedMenace's avatar

... or 12:00pm, when everyone storms out of the room and they announce, once again, that there is no deal to be had.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 12/12/12 at 11:40 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

The @NHLPA feed tweets that they will have 11 players on-site:

The following 11 Players will be on-site for today’s CBA meetings: Adams, Aucoin, Boyes, Campoli, Darche, Doan, Hainsey, Mayers,  A. McDonald, Montador, B. Morrison, D. Murray, Winnik.

- of course, “On-site” does not mean “in-meeting”, but if the NHL wants to charge that Fehr isn’t being letting the players know everything and Hainsey wants to counter-charge that the owners aren’t up to speed with what’s going on, this is pretty much the play that the NHLPA is stuck with.

Whether or not they’re involved and no matter how much they’re helping (or not helping), Don Fehr will be dragging around NHLPA members everywhere he goes.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 12/12/12 at 12:03 PM ET

Maybe my feelings will change if these guys ever agree to something to save this season, but at this point i am not really interested in a 2012-2013 half-season.  I feel like these guys are negotiating at this point to #1, make some money for the owners, and #2 make some money for the players.

As far as fans go, this particular fan is not going to be super enthused about cheering on his team to win a stanley cup for a shortened season.  Of course, maybe once it gets started my feelings will change, as i said above… but don’t count on it you millionaire POS’s.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 12/12/12 at 12:16 PM ET

Don Fehr will be dragging around NHLPA members everywhere he goes.

I can see Fehr with a Samsonite Rolling Duffel filled with players that pour out once he unzips his bag (no double entendre intended). Must be a bitch to put in the overhead on flights from TO to NYC.

but don’t count on it you millionaire POS’s

To be fair there are also Billionaire POS’s that are working on becoming millionaire’s instead.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 12/12/12 at 12:39 PM ET

Totally agree.  1995 didn’t feel like a real season and this one won’t either.  Essentially, any 48 game season will be 15ish games of totally random hockey results while guys get in, get in shape, and play with new guys or new teams.  Then maybe 20ish games of teams playing actual hockey, then 15ish games of frantic qualifying for playoff spots.

All in a wickedly compressed schedule that will a) screw over teams who have a dominant #1 they won’t be able to play as much, b) cause a bunch of extra injuries to guys, c) write in ‘scheduling losses’ all over the place when a team playing their 3rd game in 4 or 5 nights plays on the road against a team that’s had two days off and d) just generally depress the overall level of hockey due to fatigue.

And then at the end of that meatgrinder there will be a full-length playoff season that is unbelievably tough on players even in the best scenarios, much less after all involved just got done jamming in 48 games in 70-80 days and are dead on their skates.

90% of whatever happens in a short season like that has to be either disregarded or taken with a huge grain of salt, so teams aren’t going to learn a whole lot about pretty much anything.

But, hey, everyone will get to cash a lot of checks, so who cares if players careers are shortened and the product itself is substantially watered down.

Since these guys couldn’t get it together and actually make a deal back when it mattered, I sort of feel like I’d rather just have them both go to their rooms without supper for the rest of 2012-13.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 12/12/12 at 12:42 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Better than a Samsonov Rolling Duffel, I suppose.

I look forward to the Darren Dreger scoop about how Don Fehr keeps Boyes in a duffel bag that he carries around with him.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 12/12/12 at 12:54 PM ET

Boyes in a duffel bag

I would think he keeps Nathan Gerbe in a brief case.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 12/12/12 at 01:05 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

I look forward to the Darren Dreger scoop about how he keeps such an awesome tan
Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 12/12/12 at 12:54 PM ET

FTFY

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 12/12/12 at 01:07 PM ET

I’m already committed to boycotting half a season since they have already killed half a season. So luckily I won’t have to pay to watch the compressed garbage.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 12/12/12 at 01:08 PM ET

So luckily I won’t have to pay to watch the compressed garbage.

I won’t have to pay either, what’s your point?

Posted by Garth on 12/12/12 at 01:30 PM ET

yea, i actually have not canceled my center ice auto renewal yet, but i need to do that today just in case these guys try and pull a fast one on all of us and actually agree to something.

To be fair there are also Billionaire POS’s

Is there really any difference to me, you, or any other hockey fan in the real world?

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 12/12/12 at 01:33 PM ET

peiz11's avatar

Why not? I don’t understand this stance. If you want to boycott hockey, be my guest, but when your team is in the playoffs are you really going to give a hoot how many games your team played in the regular season?  People always complain there are too many games, now there aren’t enough? If it’s 48 games, that’s plenty to be a legit season.

Do I think it’s going to happen? Probably not, but if by some glory it does, I will perfectly happy cheering on my team…Every game means that much more.

Posted by peiz11 from Minneapolis on 12/12/12 at 01:34 PM ET

I hate when people cherry pick portions of a quote.  I said at least twice in that roughly 50 word post that i may change my mind once the half-season starts…

Anyways, I have never been one of those people who complain about 82 games being too much.  Hell, i wouldnt mind seing even more, but I realize the players need their rest. As a fan, i hate it when there are nights without hockey, or a night with only two games.

As for boycotting hockey, uhh, no thanks.  I love the game too much.  But i love it as it is now; all 82 games of it.  Not some sort of shortened, watered down, all-about-the-money kind of deal that the owners/players are trying to agree to now.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 12/12/12 at 01:47 PM ET

peiz11's avatar

Sorry then Gretzky, didn’t mean to read it out of context.

I get your point. I for one can’t boycott the game that I miss so much but I do see what you’re saying in your last few sentences…It is going to suck if they do somehow pull of half a season, but as a fan I’ll take that over nothing.

And, on a sidenote, I’m right with you with the 82 games, but we are definitely in the minority.

Posted by peiz11 from Minneapolis on 12/12/12 at 01:59 PM ET

I’ve already cancelled by Center Ice renewal, so that won’t be a problem of mine. I decided before the lockout to return the favor for as many games as are missed in the regular season. That’s been my stance and I am not trying to convince anyone else to do the same. For me it has less to do with the legitimacy of a 48 game season and more to with being sick of lockouts that take place more often than Canada Cups, although the play tends to suffer.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 12/12/12 at 02:03 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Meeting broke up for lunch about a 1/2 hour ago.  Reports state mediators met with PA for the most part this morning, will talk with the NHL after lunch.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/12/12 at 02:21 PM ET

LivinLaVidaLockout's avatar

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/12/12 at 02:21 PM ET

Update: Owners to players - no such thing as “free lunch.”

Posted by LivinLaVidaLockout on 12/12/12 at 02:41 PM ET

For instance, let’s just say that for whatever reason the NHL just decided to not have a regular season this year and started the playoffs with 16 teams drawn from a hat.

Still just as geeked about those playoffs if your team is one of the lucky 16?  Will you still treat the winner of that Cup equally with the rest of them?

The regular season should matter.  The regular season generates the storylines that give what happens in the playoffs context.  The trades, the players that come in and go out.  Who move up and down the roster over the months.

The playoffs are the Colosseum scenes in Gladiator.  They’re cool to watch and entertaining, but without the rest of the movie what do you know about the people involved?

Posted by HockeyinHD on 12/12/12 at 02:47 PM ET

tkfergy's avatar

Posted by HockeyinHD on 12/12/12 at 02:47 PM ET

yes because these are all scenarios that are likely to happen.

Posted by tkfergy on 12/12/12 at 03:07 PM ET

LivinLaVidaLockout's avatar

Posted by HockeyinHD on 12/12/12 at 02:47 PM ET

The NHL without Gary Bettman is Gladiator without Caesar - Mel Gibson doesn’t die and there’s no plotline anymore…. right????

Posted by LivinLaVidaLockout on 12/12/12 at 03:24 PM ET

Paul's avatar

It doesn’t matter to me, but the location of the meetings is Iselin, N.J. Media converging now.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/12/12 at 03:59 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by tkfergy on 12/12/12 at 03:07 PM ET

HD’s statement was based on the other dudes statement on getting geeked for hockey and playoffs no matter what after hashing on someone for not being interested in only half a season.  To be fair the other guy did concede to GTL that he got GTL’s point so HD’s post is mostly arguementative after there was no real need to be.  But it wasn’t based on probability of these events, just a “so, if this happens would you” based on the dudes original post.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 12/12/12 at 04:05 PM ET

who needs federal mediators when KK can just make available our very own HockeytownOverhaul to explain things.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 12/12/12 at 04:34 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

That’s what I’ve been sayin’ GTL, put me in there.  Hip check Bettman,  deke Fehr,  CBA top-shelf where grandma hides the cookies.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 12/12/12 at 04:49 PM ET

HO, when the guy I responded who said:

“If you want to boycott hockey, be my guest, but when your team is in the playoffs are you really going to give a hoot how many games your team played in the regular season”’

... how relevant to that question do you think his misinterpretation was?  I suppose I could have just quoted the “when your team is in the playoffs are you really going to give a hoot how many games your team played in the regular season” part to make it irrefutably obvious what I was responding to, but in either case I was answering the same question.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 12/12/12 at 05:27 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Sorry then Gretzky, didn’t mean to read it out of context.

My point is how relevant is it after he posted this.. which was subsequent to the post you were quoting.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 12/12/12 at 05:40 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Totally agree.  1995 didn’t feel like a real season and this one won’t either.

If they salvage some kind of season, it won’t feel normal, that’s for sure.

‘95 felt totally different to me, because the Wings were on the verge of greatness, and it was so frustrating to not be able to watch them try and play to the potential they showed.

This season, if there is one, has no grand expectations for a Wings fan. In fact, it was predicted to perhaps be the season we witnessed struggles and valleys we’ve not seen for two decades.

So, in ‘95 I was anxious to get the NHL going again to see if the Wings could win it all. This year, I look forward to watching the young players develop, primarily on Detroit’s roster, but on other teams as well.

The Oilers are one team I am looking forward to watching.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 12/12/12 at 07:03 PM ET

tkfergy's avatar

HTO, I get what he was trying to do, but out of the possibilities that he threw out there this: “How about if instead of 0 regular season games they played 29.  Everybody plays everyone else once, and then playoffs?” is the only one that would be realistic at all.  but it would be more like 28 1 home, 1 away with everyone in the conference.

And the other poster conceded his point. But I do agree if there is anything that resembles a season I will get excited for play offs… If not I guess I’ll be going to more Griffins games this year.
(Sorry for the late response, I had to work)

Posted by tkfergy on 12/13/12 at 01:18 AM ET