Carey Price update

Well Habs fans, it’s August

16th

18th and Carey Price still hasn’t signed. What’s he been up to lately? As has been reported elsewhere, he took part in a rodeo event in BC this past weekend.

As the article notes, Price should stick to hockey, “He recorded two no-time scores as he was unable to snare the calf’s hind leg with his lasso.”

It’s good to see that the article mentions that Price needed to receive approval to participate, because that means the Canadiens at least intend to sign him. Seriously though, we’re getting perilously close to September. How long until the dreaded ‘H’ word makes it into articles? Can the Canadiens seriously start the year with Alex Auld in net?

Habs nation won’t Halak it very much if Auld-Sanford are the battery to start the year. If Price doesn’t sign before camp, will there be a coup d’etat amongst fans given that Jaro, and now Desjardins, have been jettisoned to other teams? For those wondering, the last Canadiens goalie to hold out was Jose Theodore, and it only lasted a couple of weeks into training camp.

One has to figure that Boston, Ottawa, Buffalo and Toronto are desperately hoping Price holds out. I can’t see the Canadiens being much of a contender with Auld starting every night. No disrespect to Auld, he’s a competent backup, but the gap between his talent and Price’s is extreme.

Since it is becoming at least a possibility, I ask you this:

Can the Canadiens compete without Carey Price?

Filed in: | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: alex+auld, carey+price, contract

Comments

I don’t envy the Canadiens but they got a real mess in net.  Unfortunately, for all the great games and highlight reel saves, the image of Price throwing his sarcastic hands in the air after making a save (redolent of Roy versus the Wings in a 12-2 shellacking), I think Price is on his way out.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 08/18/10 at 02:57 PM ET

pensfan29's avatar

16th? What time zone are you in?

Posted by pensfan29 on 08/18/10 at 03:36 PM ET

pjwalny's avatar

The Habs are allergic to goaltenders. Especially good goal tenders. First they trade Halak, trade that prospect and now seem to be reluctant in signing price. If Montreal wants a bad goalie they are on their way.

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/18/10 at 03:39 PM ET

Good eye Pensfan29. That’s what happens when you start writing something, stop because of other work, and then pick it up again 2 days later. I only saw it after I’d posted it.

On the plus side, he hadn’t signed on the 16th, either - so at least it’s still factually correct!

Posted by The Upper Canadien from Toronto on 08/18/10 at 03:40 PM ET

Paul's avatar

The 16th is partially my fault.  Until his blog is ready in September, I am posting his stuff and I should have caught it.

Keeping with KK policy, it has been struck and fixed.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/18/10 at 03:44 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Keeping with KK policy, it has been struck and fixed.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/18/10 at 01:44 PM ET

And Paul is grounded from watching Ice Girl auditions videos for a day.

Posted by Primis on 08/18/10 at 05:00 PM ET

Primis's avatar

As for the actual article, I think it’d be more-fair to ask if they can compete WITH Carey Price.

Once you answer that question, the rest becomes clear.  And no, I don’t think they can.  I think they’ve probably ruined the kid if he hasn’t ruined himself.

Trade his rights, let Sanford and Auld battle, and see what else happens and what other goalies might come available—that’s all assuming the Habs want to win NOW.  To be honest, if Halak flops in St. Louis a lot of this second-guessing would die down anyways…

Posted by Primis on 08/18/10 at 05:04 PM ET

pensfan29's avatar

No worries. I thought I was in the twilight zone.

Who doesnt love the ice girls?

Posted by pensfan29 on 08/18/10 at 05:06 PM ET

I am left scratching my head here…. Why hasn’t PG come forward and explain his intentions. He owes this to all Hab fans. Why would he trade Halak before signing Price???  Then trade away a prospect that has done nothing but carry Hamilton and one of the top goalies in the A. He was even french!!!  rolleyes    I’m so confused at after having the best goal tandem in the league they completely fubar the situation. Molson come in and strip these usless habsbeens of their reins… Before they totaly #$%^ everything up!!!!!!

Posted by REHABS on 08/19/10 at 04:06 PM ET

chesterfieldwingnut's avatar

Trading Halak was a good call from the Habs. Trading players is similiar to trading stocks. You want to trade them when they are hot and obtain them when they are cold. Halak was incredible in the playoffs. He is not gonna be that good throughout the season.

Montreal still has Price and he can get the job done for them. I was confused on why they traded that prospect though. Besides, they got alot for Halak. They might not have got that same deal come next trade deadline.

Posted by chesterfieldwingnut from Flying over the ashland bump on 08/19/10 at 08:43 PM ET

chesterfieldwingnut's avatar

Posted by REHABS on 08/19/10 at 02:06 PM ET

I hear you man. I grew up on dem Habs. I wish they made it all the way. I dont like Philadelphia.

Posted by chesterfieldwingnut from Flying over the ashland bump on 08/19/10 at 08:45 PM ET

Posted by chesterfieldwingnut from Flying over the ashland bump on 08/19/10 at 06:43 PM ET

I tend to think you’re right. They sold their asset at its highest value, and they got a decent return. Halak will never be worth more than he was after the playoffs this year. But that will all be moot if Price isn’t signed when the season begins. Fans won’t be very forgiving if Alex Auld is in net.

Posted by The Upper Canadien from Toronto on 08/19/10 at 08:50 PM ET

pjwalny's avatar

I think that was really stupid on part of the Habs front office.

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/20/10 at 04:18 PM ET

chesterfieldwingnut's avatar

Posted by The Upper Canadien from Toronto on 08/19/10 at 06:50 PM ET

Thanks.

Halak is a good goalie but he will come down to earth. Now, Im not sure exactly what they got for him but im sure its better than what they would have got if they waited till next year.

He was insane in the playoffs. As a Habs fan I think this deal was amazing. They still have carey price anyways. IF the habs can put better offensive numbers up next season they will be pretty good with that defense of theirs.

Great deal!!!

Posted by chesterfieldwingnut from Flying over the ashland bump on 08/20/10 at 04:32 PM ET

Posted by chesterfieldwingnut from Flying over the ashland bump on 08/20/10 at 02:32 PM ET

They still have Carey Price - but when the heck is he going to sign?

Great to see the conversation on here though, glad my articles are encouraging some discussion. Hopefully we’ll have something more exciting to talk about shortly *cough sign Carey Price *cough.

I’ve also read the odd rumour linking Bieksa to the Canadiens - he would be a great addition to a defence that still lacks that physical, intimidating presence in front of the net.

Posted by The Upper Canadien from Toronto on 08/20/10 at 04:55 PM ET