Can’t Believe This One

via the CP at the Winnipeg Free Press,

A heartbreaking crime was committed against Pat Burns’ family within hours of his funeral.

After the hockey world gathered yesterday to mourn the death of the old coach, someone smashed into his widow’s car.

Montreal police say someone broke into the car belonging to Line Burns and stole a number of her valuable possessions — including jewelry and 30 autographed hockey jerseys.

Police suspect the thieves actually knew the Burns family.

Filed in: Hockey Related Stories, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: pat+burns

Comments

Alan's avatar

Wow. I’m speechless. This sort of thing really makes me mad.

I’ve lost faith in humanity today.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 11/30/10 at 03:48 PM ET

I’ve lost faith in humanity today.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 11/30/10 at 12:48 PM ET

I think it’s kinda funny that this was your breaking point, and of course everybody is different and has different triggers, I just find it funny. Thanks for lifting my spirits after reading this crap.

Posted by NathanBC on 11/30/10 at 04:11 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

If there is a hell, I’m hoping they’ve got a nice spot for these @$$holes.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 11/30/10 at 04:21 PM ET

pretty crappy for sure… curious though why there would be 30 signed jerseys in a car?

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 11/30/10 at 04:28 PM ET

Disgusting.  Dante’s Inferno posits that thieves and liars occupy the coldest and lowest level of Hell.  Sure hope Mrs. Burns gets her husband’s memories back.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 11/30/10 at 04:31 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

Just horrible.  They think the victims knew the Burns family?  Disgusting.

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 11/30/10 at 05:44 PM ET

Alan's avatar

I think it’s kinda funny that this was your breaking point,

Not really. I’ve been at completely no faith in humanity before, but then I’ll see a child playing with a cute puppy, or someone helping an elderly person cross the street, and my faith is lifted ever so slightly.

Yesterday, we watched the hockey world come together to celebrate one of the greatest coaches to ever coach the game of hockey. Today, we watch as reports come out that the widow’s car was broken into, and several of his personal things were stolen from it.

In one day’s time, I went from “faith restored” to “faith lost.” I’m sure I’ll see something else today that will restore faith.

Or, alternatively, I’ll watch Airplane before turning on the Thrashers-Avalanche game this evening. Yeah, that sounds like a better idea.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 11/30/10 at 07:04 PM ET

HockeyFanOhio's avatar

Whoever is responsible should be beaten with a stick.

Posted by HockeyFanOhio from Central Ohio on 11/30/10 at 08:02 PM ET

”...I’ll watch Airplane before turning on the Thrashers-Avalanche game this evening. Yeah, that sounds like a better idea.
Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 11/30/10 at 04:04 PM ET

I have the Leslie Nielson marathon waiting in my DVD player until the weekend, Shirley.

Posted by NathanBC on 11/30/10 at 09:05 PM ET

The jerseys were to be sold to raise money for the Pat Burns Arena in the Eastern Townships where P. Burns had his home in Quebec.
There was also a bunch of personal stuff in the car, basically all of the stuff that had been with him in the hospice.
I like to think that there will be some honour among thieves and either the scum who stole the stuff or the next criminal up the chain will do the right thing.  I’m hoping but I’m not holding my breath.

Posted by dwgs on 12/01/10 at 12:26 PM ET

Proves that cold, hard greed in the sports memorabilia market has ZERO tact.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 12/01/10 at 06:59 PM ET