Candidates To Replace Mike Emrick

fromAndrew Marchand of the New York Post,

While Kenny Albert is a strong candidate to replace Mike (Doc) Emrick on NBC’s coverage of the Stanley Cup Finals, a name that cannot be ruled out is Mike Tirico.

Albert, 52, could very well be the next man up, as he is NBC’s No. 2 NHL play-by-play man, having done conference finals and the Olympics for years. But Tirico, the face of NBC Sports, figures to be in the discussion when its network executives decide what to do next.

Tirico is a hockey guy and has called a few games for the network over the past few years.

Tirico, 53, is the host of the Olympics, NBC’s “Sunday Night Football” studio show, the Triple Crown and the network’s golf events. He also calls Notre Dame football. He is scheduled to replace Al Michaels full-time on “Sunday Night Football” broadcasts after the 2022 Super Bowl....

Along with Albert, NBC also may look at John Forslund and young, up-and-comer Brendan Burke to succeed the legendary Emrick.

Filed in: NHL Media, Hockey Broadcasting, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

If you didn’t play hockey I personally don’t want to hear you call a game.

Posted by SevensForTed on 10/20/20 at 06:12 AM ET

The Meal's avatar

If you’re good at calling the game, I’m happy you’re my play-by-play voice.  (Color commentator?  Former players generally have the best stories and insight.)

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 10/20/20 at 06:28 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I like Tirico. I honestly don’t care whether he’s played the game professionaly or not. I just want to listen to someone who has a genuine love for the game and a deep knowledge about the players and the sport itself.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 10/20/20 at 11:12 AM ET

hockeyfreak13's avatar

If you didn’t play hockey I personally don’t want to hear you call a game.

Weird comment. I don’t think Emrick played hockey and he seemed to do pretty well. I like Tirico as a replacement. I still want to hear Gary Thorne call hockey games again, though.

Posted by hockeyfreak13 from Grand Rapids on 10/20/20 at 11:21 AM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Can I get anything other than NBC announcers at all?  wink

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 10/20/20 at 12:34 PM ET

If you didn’t play hockey I personally don’t want to hear you call a game.

Posted by SevensForTed on 10/20/20 at 07:12 AM ET

I think you are confusing the play by play guy with the color commentator.  Yes, the color commentator needs to be someone who has been around the game, either as a player or coach. The only way they can offer anything in the way of insight is if they know the game on a deeper level than the average fan, which means having played or coached, or both.

The play by play guy is just describing the action as it happens as best they can.  The idea that someone needs to be a former player or coach to do that is pretty silly, in my opinion.  In fact, I can’t think of a single play by play guy who did play the sport they broadcast.  They are typically “journalists”, not athletes.

Posted by MikeO on 10/20/20 at 01:46 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

The bigger question is who are the candidates to replace: Olczyk, McGuire, Millbury, and like 3/4th’s of the studio hosts…. sick

Posted by Down River Dan on 10/20/20 at 02:23 PM ET