Canadiens React to the Chara Hit

From Ken Campbell at The Hockey News:

“What people are upset in this room is that I guess he drove the elbow through the head with an intent to injure kind of thing,” Cammalleri said. “I don’t think Chara premeditated this, but from experience when a player gets under your skin for whatever reason, you remember it and you notice when he’s out there. You know whom you’re playing against. Especially a divisional opponent because you’re so familiar. You can almost tell by the movements of a player. There’s a lot of tells, from what brand of stick they’re using to how they tape it.”

Canadiens goalie Carey Price said the history between Chara and Pacioretty probably played a part. In a Jan. 8 game between the Canadiens and Bruins, Pacioretty scored in overtime, then shoved Chara out of the way, which was the genesis of the hard feelings between the two players.

“Well that’s the whole thing,” Price said. “They do kind of have a history and that adds fuel to the fire. The only person who knows is (Chara).”

Other Team Reactions:

From Toronto Maple Leafs—

“It was pretty scary, but from what I saw, I don’t think he was trying to hurt (Pacioretty),” said centre Tyler Bozak.

Bozak witnessed a similar incident — Chara rode Pacioretty into the side boards and Pacioretty slammed head first into a glass stanchion — years ago.  Bozak said a close friend in junior hockey suffered a broken neck on a near identical play.

“I think (Chara) was trying to rub him out along the boards. It’s a normal play, it was a normal rub out,” Bozak said.

more at the Toronto Star

From Ottawa Senators:

“He’s pretty honest and he’s physical. That’s what makes him the defenceman he is,” said Ottawa winger Chris Neil following practice at the BankAtlantic Center Wednesday afternoon.“He’s pretty physical and he finishes his checks. That’s part of the game.”

Centre Jason Spezza said he also doesn’t believe the incident was intentional.

“I really think it was more bad luck than anything,” said Spezza. “It’s a physical game, but nobody is trying to hurt each other.”

more at Slam

Filed in: NHL Teams, Boston Bruins, Montreal Canadiens, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: max+pacioretty, max+pacioretty, zdeno+chara

Comments

“...then shoved Chara out of the way, which was the genesis of the hard feelings between the two players.”

He shoved him out of the way as Chara came toward him angrily as Pacioretty celebrated with teammates, then Gomez came in squawking and Chara turned around and tried to punch him straight in the face but missed and hit the glass.

Chara’s two-hander to his legs too.

It was quite satisfying the other night when James Neal and Chara got battling in front of the net, then Neal dumped the puck into Chara’s corner. Chara went in first and braced for the huge hit he was going to make, then Neal flattened him, and Chara’s physicality dropped for the rest of the game, same with his chirping.

I do like Chara though.

Posted by NathanBC on 03/09/11 at 05:04 PM ET

“He shoved him out of the way as Chara came toward him angrily as Pacioretty celebrated with teammates”

What the hell are you talking about? He shoved Chara in the back as Chara was skating away, that’s what precipitated that whole thing (including Chara coming toward him angrily). Go back and watch the video, bub.

2:05, and again at 2:43 from a different angle.

Posted by RealityCheck on 03/09/11 at 05:58 PM ET

Okay, maybe I remember that part incorrectly. I can’t watch the video unless it’s embedded.

He was angry, and he did try to cheap shot Gomez though.

Posted by NathanBC on 03/09/11 at 06:02 PM ET

scotts0's avatar

Chara’s a puss with minimal talent who only gets by because he’s massive on the ice.  When I played in high school there was a kid on my team who was just like him, defenseman, abnormally large for his age, couldn’t skate backwards, you get him moving around and he’s finished.

It’s nice seeing Chara be such a complainer when someone half his size, pushes him from behind, which you could see, hardly even budged Chara.  It was nice seeing my old hockey camp counselor, Hall Gill, come in and straighten him out.

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 03/09/11 at 06:26 PM ET

Yeah, they give guys with minimal talent the Norris trophy all the time. Oh, wait, if that was the case then Gill would have a shelf full of them. Hal Gill hasn’t “straightened out” anyone since he left Providence College, he’s the absolute archetype of the guy you describe (minimal talent, gets by because he’s massive on the ice). Watching him in college and while he was with Boston it always boggled my mind that a guy that size could somehow have a shot that couldn’t break a pane of glass.

Posted by RealityCheck on 03/09/11 at 06:47 PM ET

He was angry, and he did try to cheap shot Gomez though.

Gomez was nowhere near any of that.

Posted by Garth on 03/09/11 at 07:45 PM ET

If I was Pierre Boivin, I would refuse to play my last game with Boston. I would give them the 2 points and that would end out play together out of play-offs. I would pay the fine but protect my players.
Next year, I would give them 12 points and refuse to go to Boston and tell them to stay home. We don’t want them in Montreal until they can play decent with us.
And Mr. Campbell should deduct 2 points everytime there is hits that cause severe medical reactions whether meant to be or accidental…with ALL the teams!!!
This would become better hockey and the players would not damage other players but would try to score pucks and forget dirty boddy checks.
This is hockey NOT wrestling on skates!!!!
Wake up people!!!

Posted by Salvada Therrien from Caledonia Springs on 03/09/11 at 09:53 PM ET

Posted by Salvada Therrien from Caledonia Springs on 03/09/11 at 06:53 PM ET

Maybe you would allow a Bruin to go to Montreal and hand you tissues as you cry your eyes out?

Posted by Garth on 03/10/11 at 01:37 AM ET

if I was pierre boivin, for the last bruins game I’d host a screening of the game at the bell center, cuz that shit would sell out. Not for anything buddy, but there’s a reason you’re not the president of a sports team.

Posted by vince on 03/10/11 at 04:36 AM ET