Can You Say Patrik Elias, Future Hall Of Famer?

from Dave Lozo of The Score,

To me, based on the standards of previous Hall entrants, Elias is sitting right on the bubble.

The 37-year-old, who signed a three-year contract with the Devils this summer, has 375 goals and 930 points in 1,090 career regular-season games, all with New Jersey. He has been just as good in the postseason, posting 45 goals and 125 points in 162 career games. Breaking it down to points per game, that’s 0.85 in the regular season and 0.77 in the playoffs.

Where do those numbers rank Elias as of today? Glad you asked. It’s a good question. The 0.85 number ranks him 138th all-time, while the 0.77 figure ranks him 120th all-time. In terms of totals, Elias’ 930 points rank him 92nd all-time, while his 125 playoff points rank him 45th all-time.

If Elias averages 70 games per season over the next three seasons and dips to 0.75 points per game over that time, he will (likely) finish his career at the age of 40 with 1,087 points.

read on...

Filed in: NHL Teams, New Jersey Devils, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: patrik+elias

Comments

LiteWork's avatar

Its basically the Hall of Good with guys like Gartner, Ciccarelli, Nieuwendyk, Mullen, Gillies, Neely, Federko etc in, I dont see why Elias cant make it.

Posted by LiteWork on 08/20/13 at 08:14 PM ET

Hank Scorpio's avatar

Can You Say Patrik Elias, Future Hall Of Famer?

No.  No, I cannot.  Those Devils teams had Hall of Famers (or future Hall of Famers), like Brodeur, Stevens, Niedermeyer, Nieuwendyk (though not a HOF for his Devils work, primarily).  Elias was very good but doesn’t deserve HOF consideration.

Posted by Hank Scorpio on 08/20/13 at 08:19 PM ET

shazam88's avatar

Posted by LiteWork on 08/20/13 at 08:14 PM ET

There are good arguments for a number of the players that you mentioned. Elias isn’t in the same stratosphere as Cam Neely or Dino, regardless of how many extra years he played.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 08/20/13 at 08:33 PM ET

LiteWork's avatar

I didnt see any of those players as Hall of Famers so that’s why Im not so quick to dismiss guys like Elias and Hossa.

Posted by LiteWork on 08/20/13 at 09:45 PM ET

Primis's avatar

So… this is a thing actual people have discussed?

Let the guy finish out his career first, yeeeesh.

Posted by Primis on 08/21/13 at 12:06 AM ET

I don’t know, if there are currently 255 players in the HHoF, I’m not sure how you can make an argument against a guy who is in the top 100 all-time in points and who isn’t even finished yet.  At the very least, I don’t see how he can be dismissed out of hand.

Posted by Garth on 08/21/13 at 12:12 AM ET

shazam88's avatar

Perhaps this is a matter best left to PSH.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 08/21/13 at 12:26 AM ET

PuckStopsHere's avatar

I would argue that I don’t think Elias is a Hall of Famer.  Its possible if he can build his career point totals or if he still has All Star years in him, but my best projections are that he doesn’t have it.  He will go down in a class with Ray Ferraro and Neil Broten and not as a Hall of Famer unless he surprises us in the future.

Posted by PuckStopsHere on 08/21/13 at 12:34 AM ET

shazam88's avatar

Tomorrow I shall summon Santa Claus.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 08/21/13 at 01:14 AM ET

LiteWork's avatar

Posted by PuckStopsHere on 08/21/13 at 12:34 AM ET

How is Elias grouped in a class with Broten and Ferraro?

Posted by LiteWork on 08/21/13 at 04:22 AM ET

He did manage to finish top-10 in NHL scoring on three occasions, spanning more than ten (2001, 3rd; 2012, 10th), which is a pretty neat trick.

I do think most fans seriously underrate Elias - he put up some very good seasons at his peak, and he’s been consistently banged home at least .70 ppg (and often much higher) every season since turning 23. That’s 13 straight years of performance as a good to very good, and occasionally great, first line player.

Granted, if I were running the Hall of Fame, I don’t think Elias quite makes the cutoff. And I suspect he won’t make the real one, either, given the fact that he’s been underrated and overshadowed in NJ for so long. That said, there are certainly plenty of forwards much worse than Elias already enshrined, so who knows.

Posted by Sven22 from Grand Rapids on 08/21/13 at 08:15 AM ET

How is Elias grouped in a class with Broten and Ferraro?

Agreed. I think Elias is better than both by a wide margin. Still wouldn’t make /my/ HOF though.

Posted by Sven22 from Grand Rapids on 08/21/13 at 08:17 AM ET

LivinLaVidaLockout's avatar

Tomorrow I shall summon Santa Claus.

Posted by

shazam88

from SoCal on 08/21/13 at 01:14 AM ET

Hahahaha this all brightened my morning a bit. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Posted by LivinLaVidaLockout on 08/21/13 at 09:13 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by PuckStopsHere on 08/21/13 at 12:34 AM ET

Hockey-reference.com thinks he’s comparable with Paul Kariya, Dale Hawerchuk, Frank Mahovolich, Bryan Trottier, Alex Mogilny, and Jean Ratelle, among others, and that your own criteria makes no sense at all.

Posted by Primis on 08/21/13 at 10:14 AM ET

LiteWork's avatar

Just so you know Hockey Reference’s point shares are completely useless, especially the defensive point shares which are always good for a laugh.

But it funny to see PuckStopsHere say that Elias is comparable with Ferraro and Broten but he considers Dave Andreychuk a Hall of Famer. That just boggles the mind.

Posted by LiteWork on 08/21/13 at 09:16 PM ET

PuckStopsHere's avatar

Andreychuk retired as the second highest scoring left winger ever behind Bobby Hull.  Brendan Shanahan has since passed him.  I would call the 2nd/3rd best scorer ever in his position a Hall of Famer.

Posted by PuckStopsHere on 08/21/13 at 10:06 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by LiteWork on 08/21/13 at 09:16 PM ET

There’s an explained system to it though, beyond TPSH’s incredibly-complex weighting system of “BECAUSE I SAID SO!”.

Posted by Primis on 08/21/13 at 11:49 PM ET