Cammalleri suspended one game

The Montreal Canadiens will be without Mike Cammalleri on Thursday night when they open the season against the Toronto Maple Leafs. Cammalleri was suspended for an incident that took place in the Canadiens’ final pre-season game Saturday night against the New York Islanders. More from the NHL.com release:

Cammalleri suspended

Filed in: NHL Teams, Montreal Canadiens, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: mike+cammalleri

Comments

WingsFaninCO's avatar

Whoa there NHL.com…slow down with all those details.  Am I the only one wondering what exactly happened to separate this “slashing incident” from any other 2-min slashing call?

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 10/04/10 at 05:32 PM ET

I watched the game and I thought Nino Niederreiter was going for Cammelleri’s head on the hit that preceded this incident. Logic would suggest that Cammalleri, as an established veteran, was furious over a perceived cheap shot attempt in what was the last game of the pre-season. Given his almost perfectly clean record (I believe Cammalleri has been fined once), I am a bit surprised he was suspended. That said, he clearly tried to hurt Niederreiter, so I understand the ruling.

Two things are for sure: Habs fans aren’t going to be happy, and Leafs fans are going to be pretty pleased. I just hope the NHL continues to enforce the rules in similar situations. I know I saw much worse last year that went unpunished.

Posted by The Upper Canadien from Toronto on 10/04/10 at 05:38 PM ET

Andy from FightNight's avatar

This incident was dirty, he has done a similar thing before (in the first round of 09 playoffs), but Cammalleri is a star, so of course he gets off with 1 game. Imagine if this was Avery or Carcillo.

Posted by Andy from FightNight on 10/04/10 at 05:40 PM ET

I wonder if they suspended the spear to the face, or the slash on the skate blade right after. One would assume the NHL would word their press release correctly, as they have in the past, so when they say it’s for “...slashing…,” I take that as the slash to the skate that Niederreiter sold. Ha

Posted by NathanBC on 10/04/10 at 05:41 PM ET

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 10/04/10 at 03:32 PM ET

Clicky.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 10/04/10 at 05:42 PM ET

Love the NHL when it comes to discipline:

Boynton’s throat slashing gesture = 1 game suspension.
Cammalleri’s actual two-handed slash to Niederreiter’s leg and forcing him out of the game = 1 game suspension.

Hmmn - do the punishments fit the crimes?

I have a feeling it will be a long year in terms of this crap… Par for the course.

And people wonder why Bettman has few “fans” amongsts the fans.

Posted by ProjectMayhem on 10/04/10 at 05:48 PM ET

In any event, his actions on the ice were rash, and he deserves the one game suspension.

That being said, Montreal should be able to manage without him in their opener against the Leafs on Thursday.

Posted by Briney on 10/04/10 at 06:01 PM ET

Any hit on Cammalleri is going to be near his head since he is 5’ 9”.  A two handed slash gets a game and an attempt to spear someone in the face doesn’t even get a mention. I bet if Avery said he would spear someone’s girlfriend he gets minimum 5 games.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 10/04/10 at 06:03 PM ET

...actual two-handed slash to Niederreiter’s leg…
Is this what people are seeing? He sold that slash to the ‘leg’ so poorly a) because it looked unconvincing b) he got slashed on the skate blade.

Posted by NathanBC on 10/04/10 at 06:22 PM ET

Two other aspects of this incident that have gone largely undiscussed: the way the play evolved, and the Islanders lineup.

Cammalleri was chasing Niederreiter around the rink, and was clearly trying to get at him - why wasn’t the play blown dead and Cammalleri penalized? It would have stopped Cammalleri before he really lost it, and prevented any potential injury to Niederreiter.

As for the lineups, the Islanders were playing two games in one night and dressed one of the worst collections of “veterans” I have ever seen in a pre-season NHL game. I thought this was somewhat disrespectful to the fans in Quebec City, and I also thought as the game began that it might result in some sort of a fight-fest or cheapshot. However, I never thought Mike Cammalleri would be the player that ended up blowing a fuse.

Posted by The Upper Canadien from Toronto on 10/04/10 at 06:47 PM ET

the difference between cammalleri and either avery or carcillo is this: cammalleri has one disciplinary incident on his record, and isn’t a good.  avery and carcillo have both been suspended multiple times and are goons.

Posted by Ransacker on 10/04/10 at 10:05 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

Throw da bum out!

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 10/04/10 at 10:12 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Love the NHL when it comes to discipline:

Boynton’s throat slashing gesture = 1 game suspension.

Orpik’s knee-on-knee = *crickets…

“ ...actual two-handed slash to Niederreiter’s leg… ”

I see the two-handed lumber whack…but yes…there must have been a sniper in a luxury box. Kind of like this.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 10/04/10 at 10:57 PM ET